Biggest learning / surprise from IFR checkride?

Same thing applies for an NDB approach (assuming you can find one still around). You can't be forced to demonstrate ADF knowledge without an ADF installed and functional in the panel for the checkride. Can you use GPS to substitute for an NDB approach? Sure, but again, not for every ADF approach, there are exceptions.

No you can't, and that is the rule, not the exception.

To say "you can substitute GPS for an NDB approach...except when it does NOT have a GPS overlay", especially when hardly any overlay approaches exist anymore, is ridiculous. It is also ridiculous because such approaches would have "or GPS" in the name. You're not substituting anything.

One of my instructors (may have been an IPC or something - it was well after my IR training) did this to me, and I have adopted it for my students as well. It is VERY effective.
My examiner did this on my private check ride when we did unusual attitudes. He had me close my eyes, turn my head sideways and stick my nose in my shoulder. Then he reassured me that he wouldn't let us get too 'unusual' with the attitudes and had be execute a series of turns. At that point, I'd get the "recover" command. It was very uncomfortable, but very effective, and not to difficult to recover. Then again, I wasn't under the hood...

So far after attempting DME arc, holding pattern and procedure turns, I found my weak points. Transition from these to a partial panel LOC approach is very challenging!

Back