*Big* Step-Up Planes?

Pff...I wish! I just re-posted an Instagram video of her being stripped. That’s the most recent update. Just did a BFR in a 172. That could have made a fun video ;)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B791R0YBufQ/?igshid=qu52u0iai8fn
Georgia colors... never would’ve guessed that :rolleyes: Georgia forestry owned my 182 before I got it, and it had UGA patches on the seatbelts. They promptly got removed, but it’s still red, white, and black.

It’ll look good. N310CJ is similar to your drawing

150, 172, 210, PA-32R, C-402, Twin Otter, BA-3100, B-737, A-320, B-777, and back to the 737.
Lots of other GA also.
Greg, Im finding hard to even think of you without the image of a beautiful "192 &1/2" in my mind. (please post a picture, preferably on Gaston's grass)

Hmm. No pics on my iPad. Laptop is 7,000 miles away. I will try to remember next week when I am home.

Tiger to Bonanza (I still own both) was actually a downgrade as far as flying difficulty. Much easier to slow the Bonanza down from cruise to approach cause of the 150 knot gear speed. Easier to land the Bonanza for someone new at the type, though I'm very good at landing the Tiger. The Tiger is easier to fly slow once it is slow though.

Georgia colors... never would’ve guessed that :rolleyes: Georgia forestry owned my 182 before I got it, and it had UGA patches on the seatbelts. They promptly got removed, but it’s still red, white, and black.

It’ll look good. N310CJ is similar to your drawing
It makes sense now why your 182 looks so darn good for a Mississippi guy. :)

Wow, I just googled that one and it does look a little similar. I’ve never seen that one before but I do like it. Glad our tails will be significantly different or it could be awkward next OSH/SnF if we get parked close to each other.

Training/Work: PA-28-180, 172, 172RG, BE76, CE550, PC-12, HS125, BE200, CL605. There was an Aztec in there somewhere too.

I was in a flying club with a 172 for about 15 years, left that and went halvesies on a F33A. I think its my favorite airplane so far.

Greg, Im finding hard to even think of you without the image of a beautiful "192 &1/2" in my mind. (please post a picture, preferably on Gaston's grass)

I'm not Greg, but I do have pictures of the 190/5 on the grass at Gastons:

113-1394_IMG-XL.jpg

113-1393_IMG-XL.jpg

DSC_1765-XL.jpg

Cessna's- o-300 172, Lycoming 172, Cessna 140, GO-300 175... The 175 performs excellent, simple and almost 182 performance

Aerobatic- Decathlon, 540 Skybolt, Pitts S-2C, 540 christen Eagle, Several 4 cylinder Eagles, Staudacher S-300D, Pitts S1C, Pitts S1S, Pitts Model 12, now another 540 Skybolt...

Fun slow and low- J-3's and Stearman

Fast and boring- V35B Bonanza and IO-550 powered M35 Bonanza

Trained in C172. Some of my steps up (I flew bigger/faster stuff, but not regularly):
C182 at ~100 hours
Mooney M20R Ovation at ~1200 hours
TBM 850/900 at 2000 hours
And counting...

I had about 300 hours tailwheel before adding the Mooney In the hangar and thought it was going to be a big problem. It was ten hours with an instructor for insurance reasons, but was not really a big deal. My son in law went from a 172 to a Baron B58 and that was a big step, but he’s young and sharp.

I came upon that crash on my way to work; he was my favorite player, lived about a mile from me. Thurman, BTW.
It's not so much the size of the jump as much as the lack of training, and the lack of a proper instructor with him (it was an unqualified person, IIRC, that should have noticed he forgot the flaps.)
Our USAF and USN gets people flying big and fast stuff quickly.

He wasn't receiving instruction on the flight, having previously obtained the type rating for the Citation. The instructor on board was his piston multi instructor, who had taught Munson how to fly the Duke he had purchased about 14 months prior to acquisition of the jet. The purpose of the flight was basically to show off the new aircraft to his previous instructor, who had zero turbine time.

Munson didn't forget the flaps, he had announced his intention to perform a no flaps landing to the instructor and another person on board.

The NTSB found the cause of the crash to be Munson's failure to maintain adequate airspeed during the critical few seconds before touchdown. The instructor said that Munson belatedly realized the speed decay was happening, and advanced the throttles to the stops.

The NTSB felt his inexperience regarding spool up time of the engines was a critical factor, and cited the response difference between the Citation and Duke. The Duke, with its 380 HP engines and just Munson and his instructor on board, responded almost instantly to advancing the throttles.

Last edited:
I purchased my Trinidad as a student pilot with about 15 hrs of time in a 172. I got my HP, complex and retract endorsements, and did most of my solo time as a student in my Trinidad. I did take my PPL practical in the 172 though, which I almost had to re-learn. I found it easier to land the Trinidad than the 172, didn't want to float as much, and that trailing link gear is sooooo nice!

Last edited:
C172 for about 110 hrs (about 15 of those in a 195hp Hawk XP), and now in our new-to-us F35 Bonanza. it was a pretty easy transition

771BC! love watching your channel Kevin. Watching you two is a big part of why I went up for some dual last weekend and I'm working on a BFR after 16 years off.... thanks!
Glad you’re enjoying it Brad and congrats on knocking the rust off/getting back in the air!

Our favorite part is hearing when people decide to get back into the air or start training.

Safe flying and maybe we’ll see you around one of these days.

Glad you’re enjoying it Brad and congrats on knocking the rust off/getting back in the air!

Our favorite part is hearing when people decide to get back into the air or start training.

Safe flying and maybe we’ll see you around one of these days.

Hope so!
of the few channels I originally subscribed to I really enjoyed watching you and Jamie. Really enjoyed hearing how your two controllers do your radio work. I'm a long time out of that IFR system for sure, and that part was a huge help for me mentally. Great destinations and flying helps of course, and you seem like good folks too! Looking forward to seeing your new paint job!

C152 -> C172 -> BE A23/24 -> C182 -> RV-9A!!! (Most fun of all of them)

Technically, still haven't stepped up to anything big, and don't intend to.
Although always looking for something a little faster ;-)

Back