Big price increase for landing in Rhode Island

In their defense, the DHS/TSA are coming up with new security requirements left and right. And the FBO + the municipality that owns the airport probably has to foot the bill to comply. 8 foot high barbed wire fences, gates with codes, security cameras etc.. are not cheap. Our uncontrolled airport has all this crap, and I dont think they would have it if they were not required to.

There are so many airfields in NH that don't even have fences. Hope that doesn't change.

Why do these other airfields need all this crap? Hasn't been a problem in the past? Is there a size, # of flights, proximity to something else that triggers the 'need a fence' criteria?

Nothing like getting people interested in flying by keeping them all out of the airport.

I just figured a destination airport would want low fees to get people to show up and spend money in the local area......

Ben ( back under a bigger rock) Haas...:redface::redface:

We were in Jackson Hole the other day and I made note of the fees. We did not buy fuel and were on the ground for about 30 minutes.

Ramp fee - $500
Landing fee - $81

Yeah good point. I've wondered this too. My sense is they will probably not and this is why these fees are really not well thought out. It just hurts the FBO's and businesses in the field.

There are contractors who will install the equipment at your airport to automatically invoice the fee. They just read out the mode-S when available and have a video camera with OCR to catch those without mode-S. Of course, operating the equipment and the minimums guaranteed to the contractor will eat most of the fee that is being collected. When that happens, buerocrats will just have to raise the fee a bit.

We were in Jackson Hole the other day and I made note of the fees. We did not buy fuel and were on the ground for about 30 minutes.

Ramp fee - $500
Landing fee - $81

WOW.....

And yeah.... I thought that was you on the radio....

N**eu.:idea:

Last edited:
WOW.....

And yeah.... I thought that was you on the radio....

N**eu.:idea:

That wasn't me. It was our new FO on her first trip. That is, if you are talking about the landing or taxi for takeoff portion. I was using the radio after takeoff. She flew the return leg since we were empty.

Last edited:
That wasn't me. It was our new FO on her first trip. That is, if you are talking about the landing or taxi for takeoff portion. I was using the radio after takeoff. She flew the return leg since we were empty.

I will have to go back to LiveATC and listen.....

The scary part is there was TWO girls flying that plane....:eek::yikes:..

Oh the humanity...:redface:.....................................:D

I will have to go back to LiveATC and listen.....

The scary part is there was TWO girls flying that plane....:eek::yikes:..

Oh the humanity...:redface:.....................................:D
Yup, we're taking over! :D

I'm confused. You have spent thousands of dollars on training to get the licenses, pay hundreds to rent planes and fuel (or maintenance for own planes) and a $20 increase will influence your decisions to fly into Block Island?

I understand that a 100% increase sucks and it's a typical greedy move by the gov't, but it's still $20. If you enjoy BI, isn't that worth more than $20?

I'm confused. You have spent thousands of dollars on training to get the licenses, pay hundreds to rent planes and fuel (or maintenance for own planes) and a $20 increase will influence your decisions to fly into Block Island?

I understand that a 100% increase sucks and it's a typical greedy move by the gov't, but it's still $20. If you enjoy BI, isn't that worth more than $20?

People with money are funny like that. It's not an issue of affording it, it's the principle of the thing. Sadly this change will likely just hurt small businesses that depend on traffic at those airports. RI is small and many may just fly a few extra miles to a free or cheaper option.

Not saying it makes sense, but there are a lot of folks that will get annoyed and stay away.

Last edited:
People with money are funny like that. It's not an issue of affording it, it's the principle of the thing. Sadly this change will likely just hurt small businesses that depend on traffic at those airports. RI is small and many may just fly a few extra miles to a free or cheaper option.

Not saying it makes sense, but there are a lot of folks that will get annoyed and stay away.
maybe a minor rephrasing is in order. People who have money, got that way because they have this sort of philosophy.

I don't know anything about block island, but the $20/night tiedown fee pushed me over the edge of driving vs. flying to the beach. Its a 45min flight or a 3h drive. Publicly owned, uncontrolled, sleepy airport.

Costs about $150 to fly, add $60 for tiedown and that's $210. Driving is about $40.

Driving to airport, preflight, tie down adds about 1h to the flight. So I save maybe 1:15 each way. I can swing an extra $110 on the weekends to go flying and save myself 2.5 hours of driving. When that becomes $170 because of tie down fees it's a tougher decision

Last edited:
In their defense, the DHS/TSA are coming up with new security requirements left and right. And the FBO + the municipality that owns the airport probably has to foot the bill to comply. 8 foot high barbed wire fences, gates with codes, security cameras etc.. are not cheap. Our uncontrolled airport has all this crap, and I dont think they would have it if they were not required to.

They are not required to. we don't a fence at all at 1K1.

Pilots are cheap bastards and are likely to skip over to the next $100 hamburger rather than a fee that has dubious legality (sounds like an unconstitutional restraint on interstate commerce charging out of staters to travel within your state).

Last edited:
Another little step to Europe-style GA! The next is $300/hr for a C172M.

Finally it looks like this thread might be back on topic..

I will answer your question as best I can..

First it is not just $20 dollar. Next season it will be a total of $35.00 to park for the day. Sure I will still go 1 or 2 times during the summer but I sure won't go the 10+ times that I usually go year round.. Why would I. I can aim my plane in a hundred directions and usually the main goal is to fly somewhere to have lunch. There are plenty of airports to go to for that.. PS Groton, CT = no charge, Martha's Vineyard= no charge, Nantucket = $5.00 Waived with a fuel purchase. You get the idea..

By the way I didn't start this thread for just myself. The overwhelming feeling from every pilot I spoke to is the same as mine regardless of the size of their bank account..

Word is that they are reconsidering the increase in fees so we will see..:yes:

I'm going to miss the Crab Cakes Benedict at Bethany's Diner.
They don't like tourists on Block Island. They do like tourist money, but they want you to mail it to them and stay the heck off the island. I think this is just a ploy to keep tourists and other low class people from cluttering up the island.

I am sorry that was your experience on Block..

I have been going there regularly for 20 years but always as a tourist with no special ties to the island other than flying there for the day and I have always been treated incredibly well and have felt welcome there.

I have been in contact with the woman that runs the Block Island chamber of commerce about this issue she has told me more than once to please let the other pilots know that we are important visitors to the island and she will do everything she can to turn these fees around both for our sake and the island sake. She heard that the president of the Rhode Island Airport Corp. was flying to the island and she went to the airport to question/ confront him about these changes and lobby against them. I couldn't ask for a better ally..

Give it another try when you can..

By the way the island has only 900 full time residents so I would say that unless one of them doesn't treat you right it doesn't count as "They" :D

I'm going to miss the Crab Cakes Benedict at Bethany's Diner.
They don't like tourists on Block Island. They do like tourist money, but they want you to mail it to them and stay the heck off the island. I think this is just a ploy to keep tourists and other low class people from cluttering up the island.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in emailing a quick letter supporting the reversal of the fee increases at the RI airports please pm me for the email address.

I was asked by the head of the Block Island Chamber of Commerce to pass this request along. There is a meeting on the island next week with all of the responsible parties and she will bring the letters to the meeting. I was not able to contact her to get permission to post her email address that is why the request for pm at this time.

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in emailing a quick letter supporting the reversal of the fee increases at the RI airports please pm me for the email address.

I was asked by the head of the Block Island Chamber of Commerce to pass this request along. There is a meeting on the island next week with all of the responsible parties and she will bring the letters to the meeting. I was not able to contact her to get permission to post her email address that is why the request for pm at this time.

Thanks in advance..

Let me get this straight.
The HEAD of a Chamber Of Commerce is concerned her/his Email address needs to be kept secret /private so people CANNOT give feedback on a topic that is critical to the local areas economy???:dunno::confused::confused:

Reading is fundamental..

The HEAD of a Chamber Of Commerce is concerned her/his Email address needs to be kept secret /private so people CANNOT give feedback on a topic that is critical to the local areas economy???:dunno::confused::confused:

Reading is fundamental..

Why the hell do you need to get her permission to post her Email address...:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:...

Interesting.....

http://www.blockislandchamber.com/about/

Went through ALL the pages of this Chamber of Commerce and not ONE mention of employee names, contact info ( other then a Yahoo email account)....

Sounds like a real professional operation ya got there...:rolleyes:

Let's keep it in perspective. If generic county, TX gets expensive, people will land in the adjacent county. It's pretty much the same thing.

Unlike TX, these are destination airports, not fly overs.

Boy you sure have a big interest in a thread about airport fees on the other side of the country.. I guess it will help raise your post count at least.

I will post what I want, when I want for sure not when you tell me I should.

How about you take your bs to a more important thread like what to eat tomorrow or what kind of pilots watch to buy!

Have a nice day..

Why the hell do you need to get her permission to post her Email address...:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:...

Interesting.....

http://www.blockislandchamber.com/about/

Went through ALL the pages of this Chamber of Commerce and not ONE mention of employee names, contact info ( other then a Yahoo email account)....

Sounds like a real professional operation ya got there...:rolleyes:

Boy you sure have a big interest in a thread about airport fees on the other side of the country.. I guess it will help raise your post count at least.

I will post what I want, when I want for sure not when you tell me I should.

How about you take your bs to a more important thread like what to eat tomorrow or what kind of pilots watch to buy!

Have a nice day..

:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol:...

Gotta love that transparent government back east....:rolleyes:..

Good luck with your quest for reducing the landing fees...

I think what Iflyatiger said is that HE wanted to ask permission to post her email address. People, usually those that grew up in the era where respect still mattered, probably felt that since he had private communication with the Woman that he should ask before making it public.

It may be just a generational gap thingy here.

I think what Iflyatiger said is that HE wanted to ask permission to post her email address. People, usually those that grew up in the era where respect still mattered, probably felt that since he had private communication with the Woman that he should ask before making it public.

It may be just a generational gap thingy here.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ben is 3 years younger than God....

Municipal employee: Hey, I've got a great idea! If we cut that goose open, we won't have to wait for it to lay those golden eggs, we can have them all right now! What could possibly go wrong?

Municipal employee: Hey, I've got a great idea! If we cut that goose open, we won't have to wait for it to lay those golden eggs, we can have them all right now! What could possibly go wrong?

:rofl:
Truly!

Rescinded ! Big price increase for landing in Rhode Island

Word is that at today's meeting the new fees were rescinded by the Rhode Island Airport Corp..

Confirmed for Block Island not sure yet about the other airports that were affected.

Congratulations and thanks to the few people on this forum that got involved and helped turn this around..

Last edited:
Very good news- and honestly a smart move by Rhode Island. Well done by those who worked to make this possible!

Unlike TX, these are destination airports, not fly overs.

That's certainly true Henning, but remember there is MTP, MVY and ACK, veryyyy close by!

If this isn't penny wise but pound foolish, I dunno what is!

Back