Big Hangar; More Jobs

article said:
including painters, welders and office workers - an average of $18 per hour.

Hmm. So what's it like to live in Maine?

jangell said:

2 seasons. Winter and 4th of July. What do you call a good looking woman/man in Maine? A tourist.......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And lets not forget Maine Air National Guard - the routine way they refer to black flies, deer flies and mosquitoes. Most carry cordless Dremel Mototools with quart collection bottles!

Harley, just trying to keep Maine the unspoiled paradise that is was when I lived at Loring AFB. Now there's some hearty individuals who live in Limestone!

jangell said:

Most of us like it; almost as many lakes as Minnesota; similar cold months; allegedly, highest-taxed state in the Union; gets you closer to L L Bean; tons of airports to visit. Fine school systems; historically high-rated colleges; fine museums.

HR

EDIT: Birdman had the better answer before I posted. ;)

Last edited:
F.W. Birdman said:
2 seasons. Winter and 4th of July. What do you call a good looking woman/man in Maine? A tourist.......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And lets not forget Maine Air National Guard - the routine way they refer to black flies, deer flies and mosquitoes. Most carry cordless Dremel Mototools with quart collection bottles!

Harley, just trying to keep Maine the unspoiled paradise that is was when I lived at Loring AFB. Now there's some hearty individuals who live in Limestone!

The winters are really cold (and must be pretty boring. There was a group near Bangor that built a full-scale mockup of the Enterprise... and acted out the various episodes on winter nights. :eek:

wsuffa said:
The winters are really cold (and must be pretty boring. There was a group near Bangor that built a full-scale mockup of the Enterprise... and acted out the various episodes on winter nights. :eek:

Hell's bells, Bill; we've had several soft winters in a row. The snowmobile dealers have been crying during the last few years. And so have the guys who bought Dean Fisher's snow plows and couldn't scare up sufficient driveway plowing customers to cover their investments. Mud season came in early February at the airports with turf and/or gravel tie-down areas or runways. I had to wait nearly a month to get my plane out of Twitchell's Airport, the tie-down area needing a three day freeze to harden the surface. No hurricanes, no floods ----------- well, the latter is occurring as I write(but way South of me).

HR

Lawreston said:
Most of us like it; almost as many lakes as Minnesota; similar cold months; allegedly, highest-taxed state in the Union; gets you closer to L L Bean; tons of airports to visit. Fine school systems; historically high-rated colleges; fine museums.

HR

EDIT: Birdman had the better answer before I posted. ;)

I remember my first adult winter there. Living in Yarmouth, ship at BIW. Neighbor girl came over about midnight knocking on door. Bride and I were just watching TV. Girl says "We're having a party, come on." It was right next door, so OK....trudge through about 2 feet of new snow, and then everyone was leaving. Bride and I looked at each other, wondering what lind of joke it was. Neighbor girl says "come on, we're all going to LLBeans' and play around." Us -???????. We went. They tried things out, tried clothes on, etc., etc. Every so often they'd go to the car for a drink.....definitely not a Friday/Saturday night in the big city. :rolleyes:

Now Portland...woo hoo....LOL:D

Back