Big Bud, world largest tractor is back

And the combine (Gleaner) wasn’t even painted at all, just galvanized steel.

colorchartS1-1024x682-1.jpg

I'd even let you all come and run it for free.

Actually, I'd let you come and run my 9230 if you want.

View attachment 115987

Aunt Polly has a fence that needs whitewashing, too...
As long as this isn't a you break it you buy it proposition. And as long as you don't expect me to actually be productive. And if there's some good quail or pheasant hunting I'd be all over it. Deer hunting doesn't tickle my fancy anymore...if we had elk in this state...

If you break it and can fit it in the Lance, I'll fix it. That's probably the best Ill do.

We have a couple of tractor pulls that happen nearby and the grandkids love to go. I thought I had seen some impressive tractors but I digress ...

Back when I drove a Case, they were cream white.
My grandpa had a 430…I remember it being yellowish.

I also remember my grandpa and I doing really stupid stuff with it. Like I held up the back of a trailer house with the loader bucket on the Case while he held the front end up with the backhoe and pulled us down the road. Damn near rolled it doing that. Back wheels didn’t touch the ground much.

Ok fine, I'll play.

My tractors are tiny, but only having 11 acres they're appropriately sized. Here's some of them.

upload_2023-3-23_7-43-1.png

An old Farmall H and a Ford 9N (both of which are strictly for fun, but may get a finish mower on the back as the kids get big enough to mow with the things). The 9N I rebuilt the motor on but it has problems with oil pressure when the oil gets hot, and losing prime. Frankly it's kinda a pain and I should sell it, although it's a good first tractor for the kids to learn on. The Farmall H is fantastic, my favorite tractor.

The front end loader is an Allis Chalmers D17, bought up the road from me. That one has needed a lot of work and I don't use it very often, but when I do use it, there's not been anything else that'll do the job. So it stays. That thing probably needs an engine rebuild, but somehow it keeps going.

Off in the back 40 is the first tractor we bought, a Massey Ferguson 165. It's in the back 40 because it quit running there (carb finally said "No more" - needed a rebuild when I bought it and we ran it 7 years and a bunch of hours). So I need to get around to finishing that up and back on, it's what we use for the brush hog and bigger mowing stuff.

The little Deere STX38 is a riding mower a coworker gave me. Thing looks decent but is kinda a pile. It eats starters. In the shop is an old Murray riding mower our contractor gave us - also a pile, had to go through the transmission after it quit shifting, and need to finish putting that back together, 42" deck I think. Also the one mower my wife and I bought new when we first got married was a 52" Snapper riding mower. That one has been pretty thoroughly abused but is still the best, needs a new seat as the old one is falling off. Oh and it has a flat tire.

In the front 40 is an old Wheel Horse C101 (I think) that was given to me a number of years ago. It burned more oil than gas and it needs an engine rebuild.

You might ask why I have mowers that are piles of junk, and that's a good question. But they're good things for my kids to start learning some sort of wrenching on. My son and I went through the transmission on the Murray, and he wants to rebuild the engine on the Wheel Horse. With 3 kids 3 riding mowers is a good way to get the grass mowed, and as they're hard on equipment and need to learn mechanical sympathy I kinda hate having good equipment for them to break. But my wife has said this summer she wants to buy a new mower so that we have at least one thing that shouldn't break every 5 minutes, and she's probably right.

Maybe I'll suggest we try to sell the 9N first before buying something else riding wise. There's also a little go kart next to the Farmall. We got that shortly after moving here for our son (made him put it together with my help, I think he was around 4). That's been well used and abused and mostly sits now, so we should probably sell that, too.

Ok fine, I'll play.

My tractors are tiny, but only having 11 acres they're appropriately sized. Here's some of them.

View attachment 116003

An old Farmall H and a Ford 9N (both of which are strictly for fun, but may get a finish mower on the back as the kids get big enough to mow with the things). The 9N I rebuilt the motor on but it has problems with oil pressure when the oil gets hot, and losing prime. Frankly it's kinda a pain and I should sell it, although it's a good first tractor for the kids to learn on. The Farmall H is fantastic, my favorite tractor.

The front end loader is an Allis Chalmers D17, bought up the road from me. That one has needed a lot of work and I don't use it very often, but when I do use it, there's not been anything else that'll do the job. So it stays. That thing probably needs an engine rebuild, but somehow it keeps going.

Off in the back 40 is the first tractor we bought, a Massey Ferguson 165. It's in the back 40 because it quit running there (carb finally said "No more" - needed a rebuild when I bought it and we ran it 7 years and a bunch of hours). So I need to get around to finishing that up and back on, it's what we use for the brush hog and bigger mowing stuff.

The little Deere STX38 is a riding mower a coworker gave me. Thing looks decent but is kinda a pile. It eats starters. In the shop is an old Murray riding mower our contractor gave us - also a pile, had to go through the transmission after it quit shifting, and need to finish putting that back together, 42" deck I think. Also the one mower my wife and I bought new when we first got married was a 52" Snapper riding mower. That one has been pretty thoroughly abused but is still the best, needs a new seat as the old one is falling off. Oh and it has a flat tire.

In the front 40 is an old Wheel Horse C101 (I think) that was given to me a number of years ago. It burned more oil than gas and it needs an engine rebuild.

You might ask why I have mowers that are piles of junk, and that's a good question. But they're good things for my kids to start learning some sort of wrenching on. My son and I went through the transmission on the Murray, and he wants to rebuild the engine on the Wheel Horse. With 3 kids 3 riding mowers is a good way to get the grass mowed, and as they're hard on equipment and need to learn mechanical sympathy I kinda hate having good equipment for them to break. But my wife has said this summer she wants to buy a new mower so that we have at least one thing that shouldn't break every 5 minutes, and she's probably right.

Maybe I'll suggest we try to sell the 9N first before buying something else riding wise. There's also a little go kart next to the Farmall. We got that shortly after moving here for our son (made him put it together with my help, I think he was around 4). That's been well used and abused and mostly sits now, so we should probably sell that, too.

I learned to "drive" on a Ford 2N...this one in fact:
20210330_135259.jpg

It should be all gray, but apparently grandpa used to take it to the Ford dealer to be painted every few years and it would come back in the current color scheme. This was the tractor that displaced horses here. Tractors are a fantastic way to learn what a clutch does and how to work it. Be careful putting a mower on an N series Ford though, they don't have a live PTO; it's coupled directly to the transmission, so if you push the clutch in to stop, the momentum in the mower blades will push you right into the thing you wanted to miss. I believe you can buy an overruning to install into the pto driveline to solve that problem. I think the H has the same issue.

Be careful putting a mower on an N series Ford though, they don't have an overrunning clutch on the PTO, so if you push the clutch in to stop, the momentum in the mower blades will push you right into it. I believe you can buy one to install into the pto driveline to solve that problem. I think the H has the same issue.

Our 9N already has that slipper PTO adapter on it, so that part is taken care of. But you're right about that being an issue, the Farmall H doesn't have that.

Ok fine, I'll play.

View attachment 116003

I'm sure you could come up with a way to mow with the dozer. :rockon:

Reactions: Ted
I'm sure you could come up with a way to mow with the dozer. :rockon:

I should've mentioned the dozer, been sitting in a corner for a while. Needs help.

I’ll never forget when I was growing up and when one of the neighbors son got old enough to plow his own starter furrow, it was dark and he did the same, focused right on the yard light on the horizon so he would make a perfect line… but the “yard light” was a light on another tractor two sections over plowing 90 degrees to his direction. That field didn’t look right for years.

As soon as I read "focused on the yard light", I thought "Oh nooooooo". That's hilarious!

I bought a decent shape Snapper (Forrest Gump style) for my oldest to learn to mow on a couple seasons ago. Our yard is so segmented, that he couldn't turn the Craftsman lawn 'tractor' fast enough. Oddly enough, the Craftsman bit the dust last year. I think it dropped a valve or something. It has always had a slow oil leak around the head, and I thought "I should probably put some oil in it", which I did because it was pretty low. I made one round after doing that "preventative maintenance" and the darn think coughed, choked, blew some smoke and died. Now it doesn't feel like it has any compression at all. So either piston is toast, valve is shot, or ??? Either way, I haven't hauled it away because I want to tear it down with the boys. Maybe they'll catch the bug to be a perpetual tinkerer like the long line of tinkerers in their bloodline. ;)

Reactions: Ted
I'd even let you all come and run it for free.

Actually, I'd let you come and run my 9230 if you want.

You doing full field cultivation or VT or full no-till? So many options it seems lately. :D

I learned to "drive" on a Ford 2N...this one in fact:
View attachment 116004

It should be all gray, but apparently grandpa used to take it to the Ford dealer to be painted every few years and it would come back in the current color scheme. This was the tractor that displaced horses here. Tractors are a fantastic way to learn what a clutch does and how to work it. Be careful putting a mower on an N series Ford though, they don't have a live PTO; it's coupled directly to the transmission, so if you push the clutch in to stop, the momentum in the mower blades will push you right into the thing you wanted to miss. I believe you can buy an overruning to install into the pto driveline to solve that problem. I think the H has the same issue.

Yup, and gotta be a bit careful if pulling something or when stuck as the tall back tires and low gear ratio can result in the front end coming up off the ground and rolling over backwards. Gotta be quick on the clutch! Newer tractors aren't usually as jumpy, and the hydrostatic transmission on many of them won't really allow it, either.

You doing full field cultivation or VT or full no-till? So many options it seems lately. :D
Terms are pretty loosely applied, too. I do what would've been called "conservation tillage" 20 years ago. Chisel plow corn stalks in the fall, but still leaving lots of residue on top to hold the soil, don't touch the bean stubble. Hit it with the soil finisher (that's the tool behind the red tractor above) in the spring right before planting. I used to do everything with one tractor, but it got to the point I needed some help, so I bought the green tractor 3 years ago. It does all the tillage, and the red one pulls the planter, NH3 bar and grain cart.

Yup, and gotta be a bit careful if pulling something or when stuck as the tall back tires and low gear ratio can result in the front end coming up off the ground and rolling over backwards. Gotta be quick on the clutch! Newer tractors aren't usually as jumpy, and the hydrostatic transmission on many of them won't really allow it, either.
You know, I've never had that happen. The two cylinder Deere's will pick the front wheels up, but it's hard to pop a hand clutch that fast. The ford is so light that it just spins its tires if it doesn't want to pull something. I've actually driven it out across muddy fields to pull a stuck pickup out...it just floats over the top. Never really had much experience with the old red ones though. There is an "H" in my back yard at the moment, but I need to get a battery for it.

My grandpa had a 430…I remember it being yellowish..

I couldn’t remember which one I drove so I google fu’d it. Pretty sure it was a 930. I also remember it liked to overheat and had so much play in the steering it was impossible to drive straight. I worked for a guy with short man’s syndrome and quit after two years. Then I got hired by a much larger farmer with cab John Deere tractors with air conditioning and radio. I worked starting at two bucks an hour. Left farming for the Air Force at 20 making 6 bucks an hour.

5FE827D6-9310-45D4-A8F7-75FEBCA7523E.jpeg

Last edited:
I love how the old tractors are essentially an engine, a transmission, 4 wheels and a seat on top of it all. Not much to them.

The first tractor I ever drove was a John Deere model 70. Poppin’ Jonny with the hand clutch.
We have a 70 diesel in the corner of the shed. Has the "pony motor" to start it. I've only heard it run a couple times, but it made an impression. That little thing just screams, then you throw the clutch to turn over the diesel engine, the gas motor almost dies from the sudden load, and the diesel goes "whump" and the whole tractor jumps and smokes as it comes to life. I need to get it running again, but there's just not a job for it around here anymore. Even the 130HP 4440 I ran for hundreds of hours doing tillage as a kid is too small to do much of anything other than mowing ditches.

We have a 70 diesel in the corner of the shed. Has the "pony motor" to start it. I've only heard it run a couple times, but it made an impression. That little thing just screams, then you throw the clutch to turn over the diesel engine, the gas motor almost dies from the sudden load, and the diesel goes "whump" and the whole tractor jumps and smokes as it comes to life. I need to get it running again, but there's just not a job for it around here anymore. Even the 130HP 4440 I ran for hundreds of hours doing tillage as a kid is too small to do much of anything other than mowing ditches.

The one I drove ran off propane. My uncle would hand start it at the flywheel

Crazy to think that my dad and uncle used to farm ~1200ac of cotton, corn, soybeans, and wheat with a JD 4640, JD 4440, and IH 1086. And that was back in 80s when they would run a breaking plow or chisel, disc, and tractor gut pulling 'do-all' over every acre before planting. I still remember riding with dad in the 1086 planting with the doors off b/c the a/c didn't work and it would be hotter than blue blazes planting cotton in Alabama. My dad and uncle built the first no-till planter in the county. They had to piece-meal parts to get something put together b/c nobody was making an out-of-the-box no-till planter for cotton back then. He still gets a chuckle when we go back 'home' and see how many people are no-tilling these days - the kids of the guys that laughed at dad back then.

I remember the first time I saw a enclosed cab tractor I thought this guy must be rich. Then my dad told me it was air conditioned. I was thinking tractors can't get any more fancier, until my dad told me it also had a AM/FM/CB radio.....WOW.!!!

As a teenager I spent hours a day just breaking up the ground up on an old 8N Ford for 50 cents an hour. It took almost a week to break up 5 acres...

Sounds familiar, I spent many hours as a kid/teen riding and operating one of these....
upload_2023-3-23_14-16-55.png

Last edited:
Back when I drove a Case, they were cream white.

I drove the 350 both ways it orginally was the case Yellow in like in the photo above. Later my Dad painted it the Cream White, like the Case David Brown 1210 he got later..
We also had a couple Orange Case DC's it was fun with the hand clutch.

upload_2023-3-23_14-42-57.pngupload_2023-3-23_14-44-28.png

Back