Big boy trucks in MI (Semi's)

Earthroamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Earthroamer
I have a question for those of you on the board that drive the big rigs. I get to Willow Run, MI a lot now. Almost every week now. I have noticed that the semi trailers here have lots of axels. Now I understand it's weight distribution most likely, however is it a state law? I just found myself today wondering how much drag those wheels would produce, how expensive the tires would be, how it would handle on the sharp turns, etc. Just curious... It just seems more than you normally see in most states. OK has the worst roads, maybe they need to pay more attention to this idea.

Brent Bradford said:
I have a question for those of you on the board that drive the big rigs. I get to Willow Run, MI a lot now. Almost every week now. I have noticed that the semi trailers here have lots of axels. Now I understand it's weight distribution most likely, however is it a state law? I just found myself today wondering how much drag those wheels would produce, how expensive the tires would be, how it would handle on the sharp turns, etc. Just curious... It just seems more than you normally see in most states. OK has the worst roads, maybe they need to pay more attention to this idea.

You'll see them in MI. They haul a metric assload of steel and other heavy loads in those things. All the extra axles are to distribute the extra weight.

Michigan allows these super-heavy rigs while most other states don't, especially not to the degree Michigan does. It's also a big reason why Michigan has some of the worst roads in the country.

On a sharper turn... Well, there's either going to be a lot of sideways dragging on some of the wheels, or they will have a way to raise some of the outer axles from the tractor "in flight." For instance, my company's spread-axle flatbed trailers can dump the airbags on the rear axle from the tractors, which they do before going around a corner. In that situation, the front trailer axle bears all the weight and the rear axle basically floats across the surface of the road until the switch is flipped back and the airbags fill back up at which point the weight is distributed across the axles evenly again. I'd imagine the rigs you're talking about do something similar.

Hey thanks for the quick response. There are a lot of things I can die without knowing one day....however this was really bugging me. :) Thanks again...

funny, google doesnt convert a metric assload to tons...

tonycondon said:
funny, google doesnt convert a metric assload to tons...

Yeah, I have to admit that it isn't an officially accepted measure of weight. I just heard it on some podcast the other day and thought it was pretty damn funny. :D

I don't know the conversion to tons, but I'm pretty sure a metric assload is 1/10 of a metric ****load. :rofl: :goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
Yeah, I have to admit that it isn't an officially accepted measure of weight. I just heard it on some podcast the other day and thought it was pretty damn funny. :D

I don't know the conversion to tons, but I'm pretty sure a metric assload is 1/10 of a metric ****load. :rofl: :goofy:
Now that is funny Kent, you guys made me smile.

Regards Mike

Back