Big Bear (L35) to Mammoth (KMMH)

Jamie Kirk

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JamieK
I have work event in Mammoth on Monday morning and was hoping to fly, never made the trip to Mammoth before and I’m a VFR pilot in a Saratoga II TC.

The weather looks like it’ll be good, winds are not predicted to be much of anything, the low pressure system we have now and cold front will be gone and pressure predictions look stable. Reading older threads the advice seems to be to avoid the area if winds aloft are >25kts at 12k, right now they are predicted to be around 5-10kts at 12k and 20kts at 18k.

How about route? My idea was to fly on the West side till Fresno and then fly East over the tops to Mammoth. However most people suggest Owen Valley. I was thinking of the following route.

Big Bear (L35) to Lancaster (KWJF) to Lone Pine (O26) to Bishop (KBIH) to Mammoth (KMMH)

This route will keep me out or R-2515 and R-2505.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Any input is appreciated.

Take the Owens Valley route. Follow 395 from Cal City north, stay west of the road to clear China Lake's airspace. On Sundays you can often overfly R-2515 (Edwards) above 6,000'. The other R areas are no-go. Just ask Joshua on call-up if you can overfly (may even happen at times on weekdays, just depends on ops). The wind forecast you posted looks excellent.

Read the landing info in the AF/D for MMH. The southern third of the runway gets squirrelly winds.

Remember you have an out if you need to land at Bishop.

It is a beautiful flight, enjoy the scenery.

Why do you want to fly up the western side of the Sierras? You can easily avoid the restricted when flying up the Owens valley. Also the 395 makes a great landing option all the way up there. The terrain is pretty unforgiving when you cross over the Sierras around Mammoth.

My 2 cents.

Take the Owens Valley route. Follow 395 from Cal City north, stay west of the road to clear China Lake's airspace. On Sundays you can often overfly R-2515 (Edwards) above 6,000'. The other R areas are no-go. Just ask Joshua on call-up if you can overfly (may even happen at times on weekdays, just depends on ops). The wind forecast you posted looks excellent.

Read the landing info in the AF/D for MMH. The southern third of the runway gets squirrelly winds.

Remember you have an out if you need to land at Bishop.

It is a beautiful flight, enjoy the scenery.

Yes I read Sunday R-2515 May be crossed, not a good chance Monday mornings though.

I read the AF/D and it says to avoid first 3k if winds above 15kts. Should be on the ground by 8:30am so shouldn’t be a problem.

Why do you want to fly up the western side of the Sierras? You can easily avoid the restricted when flying up the Owens valley. Also the 395 makes a great landing option all the way up there. The terrain is pretty unforgiving when you cross over the Sierras around Mammoth.

My 2 cents.

I was expecting worse wind on the East side but after reading here that’s why I posted the route above.

Back