Bicycles

Yeah, even recumbent riders make fun of guys with fairings :rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

..and everybody makes fun of these guys:

adult_trike.jpg

(It's called an "adult trike")

There is no pain like 100 mile bike ride pain. It's like marathon pain plus an aching azz.

HOWEVER -- the pride of accomplishment outweighs the pain. It's a worthy effort. I would, however, definitely get a real road bike for something like that. I've seen guys do them on mountain bikes, cruisers, even fixies, but that's just nuts in my opinion.

I did a century ride in mid-Florida a *few* years back. I had not ridden over 85 miles at a time to that point and had not intended to ride 100 that day, but got talked into it mid-ride. I was thinking "it's all flat", so what's the big deal. The big deal was no coasting, ever, and an ever present headwind. I did hurt for days afterward, but I agree, the feeling of having done it was awesome.

I am seriously considering buying a road bike. My budget is less than $1,000.

Today I looked at:

Trek 1.1 $650
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/1_series/11/

Trek 1.2 $850
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/1_series/12/

Giant Defy 2 $750ish
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.2.triple/3882/37100/

Any opinions? I'm trying to sort out which one is the best deal...

I started getting into bicycling a bit a few weeks ago on an old Trek 820. I've slowly started adding more miles and all of the riding has been on the road. Now I'm starting to get excited about doing a 100 mile ride and whatnot....Maybe RAGBRAI some day....Going to probably want a better bike than the old 820 mountain bike.

I would think a sub-$1000 would do the job. But I really don't know much about this?

Today I looked at:

Trek 1.1 $650

Trek 1.2 $850

Giant Defy 2 $750ish

I started getting into bicycling a bit a few weeks ago on an old Trek 820. I've slowly started adding more miles and all of the riding has been on the road. Now I'm starting to get excited about doing a 100 mile ride and whatnot....Maybe RAGBRAI some day....Going to probably want a better bike than the old 820 mountain bike.

I would think a sub-$1000 would do the job. But I really don't know much about this?

Wow... where to begin?

The low-end Shimano stuff wears out -- quickly.

The mid-range stuff is pretty good.

The Trek bikes should work, but see if you can get the components upgraded. Sometimes your better off going to the bike shop with a Minimum equipment list -- you won't scrimp on frame, wheelset, or shifters -- everything else is negotiable (since you'll upgrade eventually as it wears out).

$1k seems to be the very edge of the cut off -- $900 gets you a high priced cheap frame that you're stuck with, while $1200 gets you a low price quality frame that you can build on.

Last edited:
Looks perfect! If Raleigh still builds them half as well as they used to, you will really enjoy it.

I've owned three Raleighs: a Chopper (when I was a kid) and two Techniums (a sport/touring and a mtn. bike), and they were all outstanding.

I've got a Raleigh hybrid and am very happy with it... good choice.

Today I looked at:

Trek 1.1 $650

Trek 1.2 $850

Giant Defy 2 $750ish

I have a Trek 1.5 (it was the lowest-cost option that had the size that I needed) and have been very happy with it. It has a carbon seat post and fork, so it rides a little smoother than an all-aluminum frame. I got mine from the local shop 2 years ago for ~$900.

You should really check out a couple of days of RAGBRAI - it's something you should do at least once if you're close enough to do so. Don't worry about being 'in shape' for it - it isn't a race. It's actually more of a 'party' than a bike ride.

Today I looked at:

Trek 1.1 $650

Trek 1.2 $850

Giant Defy 2 $750ish

You could get a really nice used Raleigh for a grand... :D

Jesse - find someone who sells Felt bikes in your area. He makes a great product at an awesome price. Compare features with a Trek or Cannondale or other, and Felt is always more bike for the money. Even the low end, maybe a Z75, is a fantastic bike. IIRC, a Z75 goes for about $1200, Ultegra components, great great bike. I know it's over budget, but this one would be a keeper.

Jesse - find someone who sells Felt bikes in your area. He makes a great product at an awesome price. Compare features with a Trek or Cannondale or other, and Felt is always more bike for the money. Even the low end, maybe a Z75, is a fantastic bike. IIRC, a Z75 goes for about $1200, Ultegra components, great great bike. I know it's over budget, but this one would be a keeper.

Is that all? :eek:

That's an amazing price -- is that Carbon Fiber frame?

Is that all? :eek:

That's an amazing price -- is that Carbon Fiber frame?

No, you need to step up to at least (I think) the Z35 for Carbon. I think the lowest price Carbon (complete with components) is about $2500. maybe less. The Z75 is still no more than about 18-19lbs. That was my first bike, then I stepped up to the Z15, carbon, with Dura-ace. It's fast just parked in the garage. I like the relaxed geometry of the Z frame vs the racing geometry on the F models.

Felt is one of those guys who loves bikes, and doesn't feel like he has to extract every last dime from the customer.

There are decent bikes around $1000 to be had. Personally I'd stay away from anything less than Shimano 105 or Campy Centaur (don't know enough about SRAM components to make a judgement). Also the average cyclist doesn't need the ultra lightweight bike the pros ride, since most of us could lose more weight on ourselves than we could save on the bike :D

For frame materials I'd go for steel or carbon. Aluminum is just too damn stiff for my tastes. Also test ride as many as you can to see what you like and don't like in a bike. Most decent dealers will let you take the bike out for a spin. I was amazed how trusting some of them were. One let me take out a $5000 Serotta, and was surprised that I was back in only half an hour :)

Finally get the bike from a good bike shop that will fit the bike for you. If it ain't comfortable to ride you won't ride at all.

I'm not a big fan of SRAM components. I have them (Red) on my tri bike, and I prefer the feel of Dura Ace. it's also easy to tell the diff between Ultegra and Dura Ace, although I still think I'd opt for Ultegra over SRAM.

Felts are a good bike. Do try them out as their compact geometry can be a bit different than the type of bike you may be riding. I ended up going with a Lemond (actually have two of them) as I liked the more set back set position from the peddles.

I am also a great fan of steel for most recreational riders. It is durable, comfortable and easy to maintain. I leave the carbon for the 'animals' who are riding several hundred miles a week. For us weekend warrior types steel is great, better than AL IMHO, but if you wanted something more exotic I would look at Ti.

Rode another 21 miles today - the 33 knot headwind was a *****. About 70 miles or so in the last week. Still running the old Trek 820 mountain bike.

I did some more looking at road bikes today - I don't really feel like I understand them enough to make a decision. I certainly haven't found a sales person that knows much about them in the bike shops. They try to steer me towards a hybrid and then can't tell me the difference between road bike models without a spec sheet in their hand..and even then..don't get it.

Rode another 21 miles today - the 33 knot headwind was a *****. About 70 miles or so in the last week. Still running the old Trek 820 mountain bike.

I did some more looking at road bikes today - I don't really feel like I understand them enough to make a decision. I certainly haven't found a sales person that knows much about them in the bike shops. They try to steer me towards a hybrid and then can't tell me the difference between road bike models without a spec sheet in their hand..and even then..don't get it.
You will encounter that a lot. If you are looking to do a XC flight sometime I have a really good road bike shop and guru in Crystal Lake. I could meet you at 3CK and drive you over. He does a lot of custom orders for the road animals and has a full fitting set up to get detailed measurements. He carries several good road brands too. Finding the right shop is more than half the battle. Far too many shops are filled with sales people that really do not understand bikes except that they want to sell you what they have in stock. Those are the shops that you should run, not walk, away from.

Road racing and road riding are not the same thing and this is often lost on sales people that are selling to recreational buyers. Getting 'Lance's' bike is not always the best thing for recreational road riders. The geometry, riding style and comfort features are different for a person that is racing 100 miles with support than it is for a casual rider who mostly does 30-60 mile unsupported rides with a few centuries throughout the year. Bike shops want to sell those riders hybrids, which IMHO, are a compromise all around. The best part about getting a new bike is the learning about what is out there and trying a whole bunch of them. Don't rush into getting something just because you think you may need a better bike.

Last edited:
I did some more looking at road bikes today - I don't really feel like I understand them enough to make a decision.

Really there is nothing a salesperson can tell you to really help you make a decision. You need to ride some bikes to find out what you like. So find a store which will let you ride them. :)

Some random tips:

- people get rabid about frame materials. In many respects, they don't matter. Titanium is light, and most expensive. Carbon is expensive too. Aluminum and steel are cheaper. Any material can be used to make a flexible frame, or a stiff frame. Any material can be paired with fat or skinny tires, which will affect the "road feel" more than any change of frame. It is true that aluminum frames tend to be made stiffer, and steel frames tend to be made more flexible, but that is not an inherent property of the material, just of how they are often used. Carbon frames can be made really light -- but if you scratch or dent a light carbon frame in the wrong way they have a habit of failing catastrophically instead of gradually. (Steel frames usually put up with abuse better, but are usually made heavier.)

- if you are not riding with clipless pedals now, try them out. This will have a huge impact on your riding happiness, and won't require you to buy a whole new bike.

- if you are not racing, consider a touring bike. These may be hard to find, since they are not fashionable. (Well, Rivendell bikes are fashionable and expensive, but might be hard to find in stores.) A touring bike will be built a bit heavier (to carry baggage with), but will leave you in a more upright riding position, which is more comfy for riding long distances when you are not constantly giving it your all (aka, not racing).

- in the "not quite a racing bike, but reasonable road bike" category Surly and Soma bikes are reasonably priced and available (at least, they are in California). Rivendells are nice and pretty, but they come with a heavy dose of dogma and a high price tag.

- folks will really try to sell you on the awesomeness of the Shimano gears on their bike. When you ride them new, you may barely be able to tell them apart. The two differentiators are durability and weight. The mid-range ones are the most durable, the high-end ones are the lightest (and may not last as long). Unless you are building a <18lb bike, you probably don't care that much about the weight of the gears. As the gears age, they don't shift as smoothly. The cheap ones (Sora) age the fastest.

- want a cheap reasonable bike? bikesdirect.com. To order a bike online you really have to know exactly what you want in terms of fit -- and so folks often go here for their second bike. (Actually, I've known folks to order bikes from here and throw out the frames, since it is cheaper to buy a drivetrain with a bike attached than separately.)

Chris

You will encounter that a lot. If you are looking to do a XC flight sometime I have a really good road bike shop and guru in Crystal Lake. I could meet you at 3CK and drive you over.

Or if you want a really LONG XC flight, come down this way - Rachel just started working full-ish time for a Felt/Specialized bike shop.

If you are passing through Des Moines sometime, there is also a good shop in Ankeny (north suburb of DSM). That is where I got my bike and Rachel got her 2 bikes. Very good shop that is more about getting you on the 'right' bike than making as much $$$ off of you as possible. They gave me a heckuva deal on my 1.5.

Go to a "bike geek" bikeshop. The grittier, the better. The kind where the guys don't necessarily shave that often. THey'll steer you right (no pun intended).

And no, don't agonize over weight. The difference between 16 & 17lbs matters to a 135lb dude climbing the Alpe d'Huez, not to Joe Average Biker. A 20lb bike is not all that heavy in the overall scheme of things.

I was in pretty much the same position as you until recently. I was switching between off road and slick tires on an old Pro-Flex. I started looking around and am picking this ( http://www.performancebike.com/weba...t_10052_10551_1073267_-1_1508500_20000_400784 ) up today.

$799 marked down from $1,500 and an additional 20% put on a gift card to be used in the store.
TJ

Last edited:
Back