Biannual flight reviews...

Additionally, just like BasicMed was originally not applicable to safety pilot privileges -- which they then fixed by adding "or serve as a required flight crewmember" to §61.113(i) -- BasicMed is (again, unless I'm really parsing this wrong) still not sufficient to perform preventive maintenance. Give it a few years and I'm sure they'll fix that one too.

Basic Med always allowed the person to be a safety pilot, but ONLY if they were acting at PIC. Which is fine. As the person flying can log PIC as sole manipulator.

Basic Med always allowed the person to be a safety pilot, but ONLY if they were acting at PIC. Which is fine. As the person flying can log PIC as sole manipulator.
It's fine if the safety pilot is properly rated and endorsed, current, covered by insurance, etc.

I always had at least a little concern about that because the pilot acting as PIC may not meet the insurance requirements for open pilot coverage. Might not be a practical concern, but by definition the safety pilot in that case is "directly responsible, and the final authority" for the operation.

Is "holding" the same as "exercising the privileges"?

I don't think so. CFR 61.303 doesn't give a definition, but it might give a little insight into how the FAA understands "holding" and "exercising."

The table in that section has columns for whether a person holds a medical and various types of pilot certificates. It then lists privileges for each category. It looks like the FAA treats "hold" and "exercise" as two different things, as there are different privileges you may exercise depending on what you hold.

Clearly there are privileges one may exercise while holding a private certificate but without holding a medical.

As a CFI, if someone calls me asking for a FR, I go ahead and do it. I don't ask when their last one was, it's irrelevant to the job I'm being hired for at that time. Now, if they tell me it was 3 years ago, and that they have been flying since it expired, well I feel it's ethically appropriate to then discuss the FR regulations with them as part of the ground portion of the FR. But other than that, we are not illegal to fly that day for the FR since I'm along, so I just move along and we do the thing, ending with a "Go forth and sin no more". What I MAY do, though, is review some other things a little more carefully to make sure I'm okay - if it's an airplane owner, make sure the last annual isn't also expired, that kind of thing.

Realistically, it would have to be a retroactive incident, i.e. one that occurred during the "non-current FR" time to matter. One the pilot has the new FR, they should be good from that time forward.

Or AD’s

Do your flight review and if you are worried, say good bye to your logbook after your iacra and hours are uploaded.

It's fine if the safety pilot is properly rated and endorsed, current, covered by insurance, etc.

Yes, the post I was replying to stated that before the recent change a Basic Med could NOT be safety pilot PERIOD. THAT is incorrect.

Had a friend, acquaintance actually, okay the friend of a guy’s acquaintance. Clear enough? So hems been working and flying real regular with a CFII. Suddenly it dawns on old boy he’s six months out, and had been doing a cubic butt load of solo flight as well. What to do. Friendly cfii “recalled doing all the tasks back along but they redid the heavy stuff and the logbook was corrected with the “omitted “ check. And everyone lived/flew happily ever after. What’s the morale of the story boys and girls? Keep track of those dates, and always have a good relationship with a cfi. Foreflight keeps tabs on requirements and gives warnings when currency is about to expire. Worth using. I also keep it in my phone.

I don't think anyone is going to notice, unless you have some sort of incident. Or unless you were going to use some of that time to count toward another rating. For instance, cross country time for your IR. In that case, if a DPE goes back through your logs to verify those times, they might notice that those times shouldn't count, because you weren't legal to fly them. Just my 2 cents as the last in the graduating class of a few things.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back