BFR?

giaviv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
giaviv
hey folks,

i have an american ppl and plan on flying in canada (i will be in toronto for the summer). i did some research and all i need is a validation that grants me a canadian certificate based on my american one.. except..

the problem is that i am not current - my last bfr was good till october 2010.
therefore, 1+1=my american ppl isn't valid, hence i can't get the validation?
what do you suggest i do? i wont be in the states till after my visit in canada unfortunately. should i look for an american instructor in canada? will that be my only option OR will the checkout at the canadian flight school be enough?

i am a little confused. thanks in advance!

Well I am an Australian pilot in the USA and can tell you what happened to me.

I have an FAA license, based on my Australian privileges. As long as I am current in flight review and medical, I can fly in the US.

My Australian medical expired so I just got a medical here in the US.. The FAA accepted that and adjusted my license; no issue.

However, when my flight review period expired, all I could do to fly solo was to have an instructor signoff (almost like turning my Australian license into a student license)

So I would say in your case for Canada, no... you won't be able to fly on your FAA privileges unless you complete a flight review. (You may have some options if it only recently expired, to do some of the wings program or whatever it is called in the FAA/AOPA safety institute type programs, which extends your flight review period as you complete the levels)

Best bet is to get to US soil and do the flight review.

Only other option would be to fly with an instructor in Canada.

tl;dr, you need to pass a flight review on US soil with a US certified instructor.

Why two posts from the same OP asking the same question in a different manner?

@OzPilot - thank you for your comment.
@BTIZ - I am not sure why you think the two threads are about the same thing.

the first one is about validating a FAA PPL to a Canadian one, while this one is about keeping your currency outside the US.

i figured that someone with the same problem i mentioned in this thread would not think that the answer would be in a thread called "flying in canada" as this is not specific to canada, so i dont see whats wrong with having two posts. enlighten me.

WINGS might be a good bet. Otherwise it's probably not too tricky to find an FAA CFI in Canada? I have no direct experience.

Thanks Aviv, they just seemed too familiar.

The Wings program may assist in keeping the FR current, but not enough time before your trip to Canada.

can you guys please give me some info on this wings program?
i signed up for it and did a course. how many courses / what do i need to do to extend my currency?

thanks!

can you guys please give me some info on this wings program?
i signed up for it and did a course. how many courses / what do i need to do to extend my currency?

thanks!

Keep doing them on the FAA and other sites like AOPA. Follow the course listings to increase your "level"

You probably won't be able to extend it enough for the length of time you need

@OzPilot - how so? I need around a 10 month extension.
do I need to actually fly to get my currency?
i have plenty of time to complete this..

I think it only gives you a few months per level. And the number of levels are limited.

The FAA Wings site should give you more info

I think it only gives you a few months per level. And the number of levels are limited.

The FAA Wings site should give you more info
Huh? No, a Wings level still acts like a Flight Review, and satisfies the requirement for 24 calendar months. You will need to fly as part of getting the Wings level, and an FAA-certified instructor will need to sign your log book saying that you met the proficiency required in the flight portion, as well as certify that on the site. When you go to http://www.faasafety.gov you'll get more information. Hopefully Tim or one of the other FAASTeam reps will chime in with more detailed information.

Seems to me that from Toronto it's a short drive to Niagara or Buffalo, where there are many instructors available to give you a flight review.

Jon

Huh? No, a Wings level still acts like a Flight Review, and satisfies the requirement for 24 calendar months. You will need to fly as part of getting the Wings level, and an FAA-certified instructor will need to sign your log book saying that you met the proficiency required in the flight portion, as well as certify that on the site. When you go to http://www.faasafety.gov you'll get more information. Hopefully Tim or one of the other FAASTeam reps will chime in with more detailed information.

Ok cheers. Good to know :)

Back