BFR

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Although I have my own ideas on the subject, I thought I'd throw this out there in the hopes that it would both help me as well as benefit others:

How best should one prepare for a BFR in a simple fixed gear with these facts in mind:

600 hours
100 complex
200 hp
250 since IR
50 IMC
only 20 hours in the past 6 months

Also, is it wise to tack on an extra hour to fly some approaches?

Ben, remember that you cannot "fail" a Flight Review, per se; rather, regard it as an opportunity to get some intensive training in areas you want addressed, as well as refresher training in others.

And yes, of course, do some IFR stuff.

I love flight review time...

Howdy, Ben.

I don't know your CFI. I flew with a different CFI last year and knocked off both the BFR and 3 in-flight segments of the WINGS program. Prior to going out on the BFR, I did three of the online WINGS review segments.

I then went back and did an IPC a few weeks later, and repeated it later.

This year, I did an IPC again and three advanced WINGS online segments, netting me another year for the BFR. Heck, you're flying on something that counts for WINGS segments, so you might as well take advantage. (And thanks to Tim Metzinger for verifying the Wings credits).

I don't know what/how you're flying these days, but you might think about reviewing airspace, charts, airport stuff (incursions, runway markings, etc) and radio calls before going out. 2-3 hours did it for me. IIRC, the online material on Wings was a good review, depending on what you select.

Another 2-3 hours for me for the IPC, followed by an hour of ground with the instructor and 2.2 of flight time (it took a bit longer 'cause we had to get a bit away from the ADIZ, HEF, and IAD). Again, the Wings material was a good review as was the instruction time.

Thanks guys! The radio stuff is easy (I fly BWI a lot of the time). The VFR charts, I should review, and although it probably doesn't apply so much to the C172, I should probably hit the more arcane W and B problems, maybe using the Bonanza or Saratoga POH for some real world situations.

I suggest you prepare by contacting the instructor who will be conducting the review and going over the preparation checklist in AC 61-98.

I suggest you prepare by contacting the instructor who will be conducting the review and going over the preparation checklist in AC 61-98.

Thanks, Ron! I have actually already done that. I'm doing it at FDK, and they run a pretty spiffy operation there.

On another note, I don't want to be just by the book--but go beyond it a bit if possible. I'd even be happy to do the BFR over two or three sessions. :D

Thanks, Ron! I have actually already done that. I'm doing it at FDK, and they run a pretty spiffy operation there.

Who you going up with, Ben? I only know Dean and Evert-Jan there now (flew with Chris one time years ago), and would appreciate input on some of the other CFIs.

I'm going up with O'Neil. He's good, and I also like Chris and especially Sandy. But I haven't had anything less than a good experience there.

It is tomorrow!!!

It went great. It took 5 hours, because I did approaches, too.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I hear tell rumours of a Saratoga in our future!

Oh my goodness, I should have been more specific! Oh, how I wish it were in my hangar, but no--I was talking about the FBO. Still exciting news, though. :)

Yeah - leave it to the FAA/government to have any idea about what aviation is! Anyhow, "Cap'n Ron" made a good suggestion as it will check of the squares. More importantly, is that YOU get out of it what YOU want to get out of it, too. The instructor will have some ideas and will insure that the square gets checked off. BUT - this is a great time to work on some things that you want to work on. Maybe "forget" the whole notion of BFR and just get some dual in selected areas. At the end, you'll have the paperwork that you need. The WINGS program is one way to do this if you like collecting lapel pins. In essence, make it work for YOU!

Here's the link:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22889

Probably more than you care(d) to know!

Here is AOPA's take on it:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/hotspot/proficiency.html

If you feel a need to spend some money, Sporty's can help you out:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=844

Back