BFR Questions to CFIs

FLA-MAV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLA
BFR question to CFIs:

1. Ground Portion - What are the areas that most pilots fall short on during the ground portion of the BFR? What do you recommend to pilots in order that they better prepare themselves for the ground portion?

2. Flying Portion - What are the biggest problems that pilots encounter during the flying portion of the BFR?

3. Overall, what would you recommend that pilots change about their studying and flying habits in-between BFRs to be more proficient and prepared?

Any stories that illustrate your points would be appreciated.. I have conducted relatively straightforward BFRs, but I get the sense from other CFIs that their BFR candidates have been significantly more challenging.

1. Ground Portion - What are the areas that most pilots fall short on during the ground portion of the BFR?
Airspace rules, chart and A/FD interpretation, and weather knowledge.

What do you recommend to pilots in order that they better prepare themselves for the ground portion?
Review Part 91 rules, the legends of the publications, and a good weather book.

2. Flying Portion - What are the biggest problems that pilots encounter during the flying portion of the BFR?
Poor stick and rudder skills, primarily landings, and general lack of precision.

3. Overall, what would you recommend that pilots change about their studying and flying habits in-between BFRs to be more proficient and prepared?
Keep up with some good aviation periodicals on the knowledge side, fly more, and be more demanding of themselves when it comes to precision -- being on altitude, on speed, on heading, and landing on a selected spot on the runway with the centerline between the mains (and for tricycle gear planes, with the tail low and the nosewheel touching only when the pilot chooses). Much of the precision on landing comes from better understanding the relationship between pitch attitude, trim, and power when controlling speed and glide path -- too many pilots with both hands on the yoke chasing glide path with pitch so the speed goes running up and down instead of keeping one hand on the yoke and the other on the throttle and using throttle to control sink rate and pitch trim to set desired speed.

You know a Flight Review is not gong to go well when the "student" shows up and has not retrieved NOTAMS or weather.

I'm in a glider club, we get pilots showing up and asking the duty IP for a flight review, no advance scheduling or notice. Sure the IP can handle it, but he's got other students in line ready to fly and your asking him to take an hour out for ground school? And they have not checked NOTAMS or weather, they just looked outside, a nice day to fly, oh, I'm overdue on my BFR.

This is what I use and it is great. It takes 1.5-2 hours on the ground and about 1.3-1.6 in the air. My fellow instructors say it is overkill, but I disagree.

I also use it to prep studs for the PPL checkride oral exam. I figure if the FAA thinks you should know these topics every couple years, you'll probably be asked about it from the DPE.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/flight_review.pdf

Pages 12-14 are the meat and taters.

You know a Flight Review is not gong to go well when the "student" shows up and has not retrieved NOTAMS or weather.

I'm in a glider club, we get pilots showing up and asking the duty IP for a flight review, no advance scheduling or notice. Sure the IP can handle it, but he's got other students in line ready to fly and your asking him to take an hour out for ground school? And they have not checked NOTAMS or weather, they just looked outside, a nice day to fly, oh, I'm overdue on my BFR.

That's amazingly rude. Sad to hear this side of it. I wouldn't do that... Good CFIs are worth respecting their time, just as you hope they respect yours.

I had one guy come in, I asked him to do the weight and balance. He said he had to get something out of his car. I never saw him again!!!

This is what I use and it is great. It takes 1.5-2 hours on the ground and about 1.3-1.6 in the air. My fellow instructors say it is overkill, but I disagree.

I also use it to prep studs for the PPL checkride oral exam. I figure if the FAA thinks you should know these topics every couple years, you'll probably be asked about it from the DPE.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/flight_review.pdf

Pages 12-14 are the meat and taters.

I use the same guidance and found that the ground and flight times you mentioned are very similar to what I do. I do a very thorough review of airspace, part 61/91 regs, chart symbols, TFRs, airplane limitations and systems, etc.

That's amazingly rude. Sad to hear this side of it. I wouldn't do that... Good CFIs are worth respecting their time, just as you hope they respect yours.

I've turned down more than one pilot, and rescheduled for the following weekend. It's easy to do if there are already 2-3 students waiting.

We use a "first come first served" system for the students. We put the word out, we need to schedule for flight reviews because of the additional ground time. The smart pilots call or email the week before, and we schedule an early show and early tow pilot to do it right.

I, too, use the FAA guide, but have a test I send to the pilot in advance of the flight review. I have one for VFR pilots and one for IFR pilots. I figure having them spend an hour or so digging answers out of the regs makes the hour plus of ground with me that much more fruitful. I review the test results with them and focus on any weak areas.

BFR question to CFIs:

1. Ground Portion - What are the areas that most pilots fall short on during the ground portion of the BFR? What do you recommend to pilots in order that they better prepare themselves for the ground portion?
Airspace, ability to read sectionals, emergency procedures. Systems knowledge..often times even private owners don't know jack about their own airplane.

Emergency procedures being the worse, especially considering the safety issues there. After that just a lack of precision as Ron mentioned.

Keep practicing. Perhaps once every two years with an instructor isn't enough?

Any stories that illustrate your points would be appreciated.. I have conducted relatively straightforward BFRs, but I get the sense from other CFIs that their BFR candidates have been significantly more challenging.
I did a flight review for an instrument rated private pilot once that had no idea how to fly to an airport in class g airspace without operating under IFR. He *always* files IFR simply because he didn't know you could just FLY there under VFR. It was funny seeing that lightbulb turn on for him.

The BFR is a review and not in the strictest sense a test.

Every instructor will have their own viewpoints on various
areas.

I look at what their ticket says they should be responsible
for and go from there.

In other words, a Piper Cub owner at an uncontrolled patch
verses a high end Bonanza owner at a busy or large airport.

If you have the equipment that goes places, you need to
have your game up a notch or two.

Just look at the test standards for the ticket you have.

A quick question about BFR. I never had one (passed checkride in April). Am I right to assume that BFR is basically oral test and a checkride with CFI?

A quick question about BFR. I never had one (passed checkride in April). Am I right to assume that BFR is basically oral test and a checkride with CFI?

At least with me, it's much more relaxed than a checkride. It's just meant to be a reality check for all pilots (including CFIs) every two years.

IME, it's very different from a checkride. First of all you can't fail, if things don't go well, you just don't get the signoff until you perform adequately (with the same CFI or a different one). Second it's intended to be more of a learning/educational experience than a test. The FAA usually has a couple "hot" items they want covered on a BFR (e.g. special airspace understanding and VFR cloud clearance numbers) and it's a good idea to refresh your memory on things like that. Most CFIs are willing to make a BFR as relaxed or demanding as you want and it's a good idea to discuss that as well as any CRM issues (who's PIC, how to transfer control, etc) before the flight. Some pilot like to have their CFI "wring them out" to maximize the learning, but for someone on his first BFR it would probably be better to tone things down a bit. IMO it's also a good idea to let the CFI know what you think are your weak spots knowledge wise and skill wise. A good instructor will make you a better pilot.

It's not a check ride, it's a review of maneuvers to PTS standards. The oral portion is a review of weather, regs, changes in the last few years, airspace or procedures peculiar to your flying area. You can't "fail" a BFR, but the instructor could recommend more training beyond the minimum depending on your performance.

A lot of pilots get tailwheel endorsements, high performance endorsements, spin training, intro to acro, upset training, and work the flight review endorsement as part of the additional training.

Remember, if the high performance endorsement is the goal, the flight review 61.56 must be specified too.

For a good idea of what the FAA wants instructors to do on Flight Reviews, see http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/flight_review.pdf. That said, there is no rule on what has to be in a flight review other than that the ground portion must include "a review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter" and the ground and flight portions must be at least one hour each. Beyond that, it's up to the instructor conducting the review. A good instructor will talk with the reviewee before the review and discuss this so there are no surprises for the reviewee (other than, perhaps, the moment at which the engine "fails").

Well, yes, it is kinda like a checkride. As you can already see, the response to that is very varied, much like checkrides are.

But, the regulation says, of the flight portion, "A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate".

That means that the Reviewee should be pretty much prepared to demonstrate any and all tasks on the private or commercial certificate. It merely leaves the selection of the tasks up to the CFI, but his endorsement says that he has certified that you are operating at PTS levels of proficiency. His endorsement carries a similar weight as the DPE who originally certifies you.

That is the regulatory intent of the Flight Review.

Back