BFR, Part 107 certification, & Funding for training?

FlynHokie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlynHokie
Hey all. I'm a Private Pilot certificate holder, but have lapsed on my medical & need a BFR to be current again.

I work in flight testing for the DoD, so I maintain a Military medical certificate, and work with UAS on a daily basis, though operations are in restricted airspace.

I am going after my Part 107 sUAS certification.

As a Private Pilot, I know there are restrictions to getting funded for operating aircraft w/out a commercial license.

Getting a Part 107 cert will aid in execution of my duties at work. I think I can get work to fund the training...

Questions:

1) Can I have work pay for my Flight Medical?
2) Can I have work pay for me to regain currency and get my BFR (It'll take several hours, I'm sure, as I haven't flown in several years - as a PIC w/ currency).
3) Can I have work pay for my Part 107 training?

I've done a bit of research in the FAR's, but can't find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any assistance.

FlynHokie

If you’re a private pilot, all you need for the 107 is to take the online exam and then have a CFI sign off in IACRA. At least that’s all I needed 4 years ago.
Read thru the 107.65 rules in the FARs and you should get everything you need to know,

Murphey, agree. But you need to be current and qualified part 61 holder (which I need medical and BFR to comply).

Maule - thanks - can you reference a regulation that permits that?

But you need to be current and qualified part 61 holder (which I need medical and BFR to comply).
Are you sure you need a medical?
"(2) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in §61.56"
A medical is not required to complete the flight review.
A medical is not required to be current and act as PIC under sport pilot or glider rules (both part 61).

The FAA doesn't want you to get paid to fly people around unless you are appropriately rated and have the appropriate medical. You are not talking about flying people around so I don't see any problem. SGOTI

The FAA doesn't want you to get paid to fly people around unless you are appropriately rated and have the appropriate medical. You are not talking about flying people around so I don't see any problem. SGOTI

You can have work pay for any of the above that you can convince them to pay for.
Yet I can’t ferry a friends plane if he pays my hotel and lunch bill?

The pilot is being compensated in example B, so technically in violation. 61.113.

There is no compensation in A, and C sounds like a rental.

given only the information presented. ;)

Murphey, agree. But you need to be current and qualified part 61 holder (which I need medical and BFR to comply).

"If you’re a private pilot" doesn't just imply, it requires medical and bfr.

Are you sure you need a medical?
"(2) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in §61.56"
A medical is not required to complete the flight review.
A medical is not required to be current and act as PIC under sport pilot or glider rules (both part 61).
But the OP already stated he holds a private cert.

Back