BFR necessary if flying with instructor only?

sucio

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
Wasn't sure where to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong area. If a BFR a is expired, is it still legal to fly for lesson purposes only with an instructor?

I just completed a BFR and the instructor noticed for my last one, an endorsement wasn't entered in my logbook. It was a checkout ride to rent and from what I recall the instructor said it would be good as a BFR, and she signed the logbook but no endorsement. So I'm working on contacting her to see about filling that in for me. IF I was mistaken and it wasn't, well then, I've flown past wen I should've done a BFR, but they've only been flights with instructors(working on my instrument rating) so that's why I'm asking, just in case the first instructor says it was only a checkout ride.

Just hope I haven't been flying illegally and she just forgot to endorse the logbook

If all your flights since you expired were with an instructor, no problem. If you flew solo or with passengers, I would definitely try and get the previous instructor's endorsement.

Lesson to all. It's your logbook, make sure all required endorsement are there and correct.

More correctly, if you were acting as PIC, you need that endorsement. If the instructor was acting as PIC, then you're fine. If you go out of flight review currency, flying with an instructor is the only way you can get it back.

I heard back from her. It was just for rental purposes. Soooo This means I was due for a BFR a back in October 2013. BUt, I hadn't flown since then until February with my instructor and then today for a BFR. So there's only one flight I did after the 24 month period. I was afraid it was more until I just double checked.

Now I gotta get busy and finish my instrument, I've been dragging it out way too long

Last edited:
Sounds like you're OK -- the FAA isn't going to dig too deep if your only flights during your blackout period were logged and signed as dual by a CFI. Just remember for the future that it's not a flight review until the ground and flight training are both logged and the endorsement is entered in your logbook no matter what the instructor giving you a checkout says.

I heard back from her. It was just for rental purposes. Soooo This means I was due for a BFR a back in October 2013. BUt, I hadn't flown since then until February with my instructor and then today for a BFR. So there's only one flight I did after the 24 month period. I was afraid it was more until I just double checked.

Now I gotta get busy and finish my instrument, I've been dragging it out way too long

Get your instrument rating finished and that will satisfy the Flight Review requirement for another 24 months.

Back