BFR due date?

USAF JD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Can someone tell me when my BFR is due? I passed my check ride in August, my official license showed up with JEFFREY spelled as JFFFRY. The first thing I did was double check all of my paperwork… I called OK and they corrected it to read JEFFERY, wrong again, third times a charm and my license shows up with the correct spelling issued with NOV 3 on it.

Am I officially due 24 months in Aug or Nov?
:confused:

See 14 CFR 61.56. The last time you satisfied 61.56(d) was in August so your BFR is due 24 calendar months later (in August).

See 14 CFR 61.56. The last time you satisfied 61.56(d) was in August so your BFR is due 24 calendar months later (in August).

This is based soley on logbook entries, correct? Therefore date on license is not relevant. Just asking out of my own curiousity.

This is based soley on logbook entries, correct? Therefore date on license is not relevant. Just asking out of my own curiousity.

In essence, yes. It is also documented by the FAA whenever you take the checkride, proficiency check, etc.

You can request a replacement certificate after you update your address which will have a new date of issuance. This date has no relationship whatsoever to meeting the flight review requirement in 14 CFR 61.56. It is always based on when you last met 61.56(d) or your last BFR (whichever is later).

That's funny! (In a "I'm glad that isn't me" kind of way)

In essence, yes. It is also documented by the FAA whenever you take the checkride, proficiency check, etc.

You can request a replacement certificate after you update your address which will have a new date of issuance. This date has no relationship whatsoever to meeting the flight review requirement in 14 CFR 61.56. It is always based on when you last met 61.56(d) or your last BFR (whichever is later).

Otherwise, EVERYONE would order a new certificate every two years!

The date on a license is the date that specific piece of plastic was created.

Pass a checkride 9/1/2000. Change your address 9/1/2009. Report the change of address 9/20/2009. FAA issues new piece of plastic 10/6/2009.

Date license issued: 10/6/2009.

Certificate!! CERTIFICATE! :yesnod:
He used "license" and it's use is not subject to misinterpretation. So I answered in kind. I'm not quite that OCD.

I also don't worry about "FR" vs "BFR" or "dual" vs. "flight training given."

OTOH, I do correct "certificate" vs. "rating" vs. "endorsement" since incorrect use of those vis a vis each other probably accounts for 90% of the confusion historically expressed about the logging rules.

He used "license" and it's use is not subject to misinterpretation. So I answered in kind. I'm not quite that OCD.

I also don't worry about "FR" vs "BFR" or "dual" vs. "flight training given."

OTOH, I do correct "certificate" vs. "rating" vs. "endorsement" since incorrect use of those vis a vis each other probably accounts for 90% of the confusion historically expressed about the logging rules.

I was just busting your chops in a friendly way! :) As an instructor, I know you know the difference!

I'll normally jump into the license v. certificate fight on the side of "license is just as valid as certificate" based on the definition of a license ("a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful"). The FAA grants you a license, and evidences that license by the issuance of a piece of plastic. That plastic is a certificate that you have been granted the license.

But in this case, speaking specifically about the plastic, it's definitely a certificate!

Back