Beyond the syllabus...

The two syllabi I have only mention use of compass on cross-country, not compass errors and such.

Interesting. So do you make students do an XC using only a chart, compass, and watch? I had to. It was an excellent time to discuss how the compass would behave in turns.

Pull the power in cruise flight and make them land. Not just "oh you have the field made" but do it near an actual airport and make them land it.

My DPE did that as soon as I came out from under the hood ... short runway, never been there, landing acceptable but not great. He went into teaching mode right after and said perception coming out from under the hood is always messed up ...

Interesting. So do you make students do an XC using only a chart, compass, and watch? I had to. It was an excellent time to discuss how the compass would behave in turns.

Have them plan the dual x-c with E6b and plotter, ask them questions along the way having them check their position with the flight planning paper and also try to do lost procedures utilizing VOR's. Flight using VOR's and dead reckoning/pilotage. Use some GPS along the way on maybe one leg. This student does not have an iPad so he gets to do everything the hard way.

Basically, the old, non-iPad way that we are supposed to know how to do.

And you are right. That is a good time to discuss compass stuff. Have already demo'd the DG drifting and needing updated.

There is so much to teach and sometimes it feels like so little time to do it all.

BTW, I nominate DenverPilot to be a CFI soon.

David

Last edited:
Show and teach them what a pattern (and final) looks like at book speed- this means 30deg bank and 61KIAS for the 172S doing short field, instead of the 20 deg and 65-70KIAS most people use.

In other words, show them what the plane is really capable of, and teach them that instead of "add 5 kts for the wide & kids" as a normal procedure.

And since "book" technique isn't always necessary or appropriate, I'd expand this to knowing how to figure out what effect their "normal" technique has on book takeoff and landing distances. I know people who say they'll always have a 50% "safety factor" over the book requirements, but whose normal technique results in closer to double the book requirements.

Somehow, to me, that doesn't make it a "safety factor".:rolleyes:

It is also on the Flight Test for Private as of the 2013 revision of the PTS:

"Demonstrates use of magnetic direction indicator in navigation, to include turns to new headings."

It has been interpreted by the DPEs around here as requiring use of the compass or a slaved heading indicator; since many trainers don't have a slaved heading indicator it requires a demonstration of at least some compass knowledge.

Hmmm, I wonder what they are referencing with the 'slaved heading indicator'? Is it the old style big electric compass things, or a modern HSI?:dunno:

That, of course, is fully covered in normal training, especially prior to solo x/c. Of course, more challenging practice never hurts.

I never did it even once while training. Don't know anyone locally who did.

BTW, I nominate DenverPilot to be a CFI soon.

Aww, nah. Appreciate the kind words but not in the cards right now.

I wouldn't be able to give appropriate time to students. But I've considered the possibility if IT ever spits me out again.

Have a couple of acquaintances who've done that. Early out packages at their employer and they took the money and ran... And got all their ratings they'd never done.

Today was a big no-info all-hands meeting at work. Thought was in the back of my mind of "here we go again..." Uh oh. Haha.

They gave us golf shirts and said revenue is up. LOL. Is it weird to almost wish they said "it's pink slip day again"? I like the job. But I have seen it so much I'm almost amazed when company shenanigans isn't the norm. Ha.

Guess I won't need to talk to Karen about busting the piggy bank for flying. :) Yet. ;)

I was sharing with Jesse in Lincoln that I think I made an old CFI friend a little sad when I told him I didn't have any plans to chase the Commercial rating.

The old friend asked "Why not?" and I honestly said I wouldn't mind training to the standards but have no plans to fly for compensation anytime in the foreseeable future. Seems like if I need it I'll just go do it then.

"Plus I'd need to rent a retract and man the junkyard retracts at the flight clubs are getting really ratty at home."

Then my old friend cajoled me with the usual "You can split the flight and do all the maneuvers in your 182 and then finish in the retract..." Yeah yeah. I know. I'd still have to get on some club roster, pay dues, and end up paying like $800 for a couple of hours in the airplane and then ONLY if I can find a 172RG since they probably have time-in-type minimums and I have 50 hours in the Gutless... From long long ago..."

In fact. The lovely Gutless I flew for 50 hours became a flight school airplane in the Denver area for years and years and may still be on someone's line somewhere. N5330R. Me and old 30 Romeo went a lot of places together. She was clean and shiny and well maintained when I flew her.

Last I saw her on the ramp the interior was getting beat up. She was always in the pattern teaching new Commercial students.

Damn. I shouldn't have Googled. Salvage. Ouch.
http://www.avclaims.com/N5330R.html

Hail damage during the one that hit the B-17. Ouch ouch ouch.
http://www.avclaims.com/N5330R Photos.htm

Who knows. A month from now maybe I'll be studying for something again.never know. I still need an IPC so that's probably first...

No, the airplane is still /U after the DME failure so fixing that is probably even before the IPC. Heh. Screw /U. Seriously.

Haha. The piggy bank will be raided for avionics before anything else. Heh.

The joys of aviation...

Back