Beyond Deadly Force ... Options To Use (n/a)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title to the colonies was granted to the Lords Proprietors, by the Crown, one of which was William Penn. Our family archive has a deed for the family farm signed by his son, dated 1698. Prior to the revolutionary war most all land in the colonies was privately held. So there was little crown owned land prior to the Revolutionary War. I don’t think crown owned land was an issue prior to the revolutionary war.

Come on gentlemen, if you want to argue the second amendment you can do it by PM. My intent was to have this thread focus on ways to keep yourself safe without having to resort to deadly force.

There has been some great information shared here and I appreciate it. Thanks for the contributions!

Your cooperation is appreciated.
You can check out Run, Hide, Fight but thats more about survival than de-escalation.
Having a gun or presenting it is not necessarily using deadly force and fortunately not everyone that uses a gun in a crime intends to kill you.

Having a gun or presenting it is not necessarily using deadly force and fortunately not everyone that uses a gun in a crime intends to kill you.

True about some having a gun not intending to kill you but I'm not a mind reader and when seconds count a person has to take the threat seriously. When a person is threated with deadly force an appropriate and immediate response is required. To protect your loved ones and your self you must eliminate the threat. That don't mean killing it means exactly that, eliminating the threat.

My father taught me as a child that you never use or wave a gun as a deterrent. When you take it out it must be because you truly are convinced that you have no other option to save your life. Still, if the threat immediately retreats (is eliminated) you can (and should) keep your force in check i.e. when they turn and run you let it go. Not looking to harm anyone but not looking to be harmed either. I pray it never comes to that.

Well, I'm thinking a miniature lens would be worn somewhere on the clothing like those bigger security cameras I've seen advertised with some sort of a 360° field of vision. It would update images on a continuous loop locally on the person, say their smart phone's database, like a cockpit voice recorder. Then it would transmit the images when the owner or maybe the thief triggers it somehow. I'll leave the details to the inventor. :) So, it would be voluntary and the more participants, the better. Heck, everybody could just wear a fake lens and avoid the expense, like a fake decal in your window saying you have a security system when you don't.

An optional feature could be a stink bomb that sprays the perp with skunk oil, but I can see "Murphy" having a good time with that.
And I was thinking of modeling an insect's eye for the camera. Whatever dye is used for bank robberies might work too.

To a degree, it would be like monarch butterflies. A bird eats one of those butterflies and gets violently ill. That butterfly is dead, but the bird leaves the rest alone. Likewise, the first person a perp hits loses, but the others are left alone. The people with the fake cameras would be like viceroy butterflies that looks like monarchs, but don't carry toxins.

Steve comes up in my feed, I enjoy his banter with hecklers. Hes a pretty good second rate comedian. I suggest you see the original for context and see if you hear the same thing and make your own counter arguments.. From what I saw of the rebuttal he is arguing minutiae and semantics not the actual arguments. Couldnt watch it all, it takes a Certain type to enjoy being riled up and breathlessly screeched at constantly ie. Levin, Limbaugh or Hannity fans:mad::biggrin::goofy:
But really, it takes a pretty poorly informed person to be swayed by any Personality

So, you wouldn't watch it all, therefore you chose to not listen to a reasoned rebuttal? I find that very typical of your ilk but you don't surprise me in the least.
Those who don't open their minds are doomed to live in their own dream world. So sad. Enjoy your little world..
Enjoy tilting at your windmills and being deliberately pedantic to get a reaction...

First: what specifically do you do to avoid and/or de-escalate these situations.
Situational awareness is useful in more activities than flying. I like scanning a crowd and seeing how many people are paying more attention to the phone in their hand than what’s going on around them.

…Secondly: isn't the thought of giving in to thugs (terrorism if you will) something we should not do?
That’s a subjective question best left for each person to answer for themself based on their beliefs and knowledge of the pertinent statutes.

…With that in mind I ask again what do you do to prevent unwanted encounters and what options do you use to handle those you can't avoid?
Prevention starts with recognizing what you can and can’t control. There is no golden ticket that works in every avoidance scenario; the question you have to answer is whether or not you have the will to survive the scenario you are provided. Simply possessing a weapon is no guarantee of safety, neither is an elite-level of practice in use of force/deadly force scenarios.

Simply possessing a weapon is no guarantee of safety, neither is an elite-level of practice in use of force/deadly force scenarios.

ridiculous absolutism. Of course it isn’t. But, with training, the odds tilt toward your favor, just like in flying.

ridiculous absolutism. Of course it isn’t. But, with training, the odds tilt toward your favor, just like in flying.

Please explain what is absolute about my statement.

The fallacy that anyone believes simply possessing a tool is a guarantee of safety. You set up a straw man and ran it down, all in a single sentence.

The fallacy that anyone believes simply possessing a tool is a guarantee of safety. You set up a straw man and ran it down, all in a single sentence.

Um, some people do believe simply possessing a tool is a guarantee of safety. You may not believe it, and I certainly don’t, but plenty of people do. They may be dumb as rocks, but that doesn’t change the fact they believe it.

Anyone on this thread or just a hypothetical “someone”?

I don’t see anything in your link about a guarantee of safety. It’s relative, more safe/less safe. Not surprisingly, people do what they want, which is a great thing about freedom.

if you tried to force non-owners to have guns or gun owners to go without, you’d be making a group more miserable. To each their own.

I agree you didn’t state it was limited to here. But neither have you identified who believes having a gun is an absolute guarantee of safety. Obviously, that was an overstatement on your part, right?

So, you wouldn't watch it all, therefore you chose to not listen to a reasoned rebuttal? I find that very typical of your ilk but you don't surprise me in the least.
Those who don't open their minds are doomed to live in their own dream world. So sad. Enjoy your little world..
Enjoy tilting at your windmills and being deliberately pedantic to get a reaction...

Wrong again.
I tried, long before you posted it here yet tried again, just for you so lighten up buttercup. Watch the first 2 minutes of Steves video then subject yourself to the first 8 or so minutes of Mr Black's and see if you really despise pedanticism or just when someone disagrees with you. Watch them critically and you'll see his counters are not reasoned at all. Its either a comprehension deficiency or he Is a purposeful liar.
#1 He purposefully edited out the most pertinent comments Steve was referring to, the "shall not be infringed, zero gun law" stance yet Collins Iyare Idehen Jr. cries that that's not what the last comment, only there for a few seconds was saying. If he learned anything in law school it should be that using reductio ad absurdum is a valid debate tactic. Do you want a recently paroled murderer and rapist that lives next door to your daughter to possess a gun?
The second rebuttal is even less reasoned or pertinent or even cogent about absolutism, perhaps he can't comprehend an amendment or its process. So thats as far as I got.
Did you enjoy that type of shrieking to the verge of hyperventilating. I wouldn't watch that even if I did agree, couldn't stand Sam Kinison for long either. I dont agree with all that Steve said, but watch it yourself and see if you can find any lies or fallacies in his stance. Its OK if you dont agree or understand, but try disagreeing without being disagreeable.
And my Ilk, jealous? We are the ones that didn't have Fathers' that yelled lies and deflections at us, even in an argument, even if he was wrong, so we tend not to tolerate it from others.
:micdrop: :yes:

Wrong again.
I tried, long before you posted it here yet tried again, just for you so lighten up buttercup. Watch the first 2 minutes of Steves video then subject yourself to the first 8 or so minutes of Mr Black's and see if you really despise pedanticism or just when someone disagrees with you. Watch them critically and you'll see his counters are not reasoned at all. Its either a comprehension deficiency or he Is a purposeful liar.
#1 He purposefully edited out the most pertinent comments Steve was referring to, the "shall not be infringed, zero gun law" stance yet Collins Iyare Idehen Jr. cries that that's not what the last comment, only there for a few seconds was saying. If he learned anything in law school it should be that using reductio ad absurdum is a valid debate tactic. Do you want a recently paroled murderer and rapist that lives next door to your daughter to possess a gun?
The second rebuttal is even less reasoned or pertinent or even cogent about absolutism, perhaps he can't comprehend an amendment or its process. So thats as far as I got.
Did you enjoy that type of shrieking to the verge of hyperventilating. I wouldn't watch that even if I did agree, couldn't stand Sam Kinison for long either. I dont agree with all that Steve said, but watch it yourself and see if you can find any lies or fallacies in his stance. Its OK if you dont agree or understand, but try disagreeing without being disagreeable.
And my Ilk, jealous? We are the ones that didn't have Fathers' that yelled lies and deflections at us, even in an argument, even if he was wrong, so we tend not to tolerate it from others.
:micdrop: :yes:
Since you’re new here, I would suggest you go look at hindsight2020’s threads and responses. He is able to sound smart, offering thought provoking comments without demeaning everybody.

If it makes you feel better to believe that, I don’t care.

Doesn't really, but it's a good place to stop questioning. There's obviously nobody who believe that having a gun is a 100% assurance of safety. There are absolutely people who believe they are more safe with a gun.

I believe there are also a lot of people who need a lot more training than they have. Frequent range shooting is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back