Better right than wrong

Dr. O

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
denny
So, when's the last time you did a circuit from the right seat?

It turns out is has been 5 or 6 years for me - where does the time go?
Anyway, the CFI that does my biennials - also known as Vlad the Impaler - was feeling the need for speed. And he feels the need for a biennial with me about every 6 months.
You see he retired from pushing corporate iron around the flight levels and became a mere mortal again after he retired. He has a Super Cruiser he flies, but he was desperate for the sensation of a fist full of throttles.
I wandered to the airport for a cup of free coffee - no one in their right mind would PAY for what the FBO euphemistically calls coffee - and what to my wondering eyes should appear but my airplane on the ramp with Vlad in the left seat with the left engine already idling.
"Get in." he growled.
I got in. You don't argue with Vlad. Even if it is before you have had coffee.
And away we go - with him verbally flogging me for my shortcomings as a First Officer.
I don't know anything about being a first officer and it shows.
We are hurtling down the cross wind runway - well, doing what passes for hurtling in a 150 horse Apache - and he growls:
"Vhat is V1?"
"Umm, a rocket Hitler developed to bomb England?", I offer.
"Nyet, dumbkoff." and he whips the back of my left hand with the edge of his chart plotter leaving a welt.
(for you electronic whippersnappers, shuffle over to the old guy in the pilot's lounge sitting by himself and ask him to show you a chart plotter)
"you know nothing, nothing." he screams, a fleck of foam in the corner of his mouth.
The rest of the way around the pattern it continues.
"Vhat is this?" - whack!
"Vhat is that?" - whack!
He greases the cross wind landing with a three squeaker.
"Now, you do it." His eyes are like lasers penetrating into my brain. And I know 'nothing'. I can't seem to find the trim handle from the right side. I try to turn onto taxiway B by turning the yoke - whack!
My mouth is dry. My rectal sphincter has retracted to somewhere above my navel.
I manage to get the ship off the ground with only a half dozen, or so, whacks. I stagger around the pattern with him disecting my ancestry in detail. On base I lean forward to look for the runway, he leans forward directly in my line of sight, looking at me.
"Feel the force, Schweinhund." he screams.
Finally, on short final I begin to feel good. I have a plan.
I will land right on the numbers, veer onto the grass - and roll out the door before he can grab me by the throat.
The wheels touch. It is a Two Squeaker.
The nose wheel touched simultaneously with the downwind main wheel. I landed flat.
His head turns to me. Fire flickers around his eyes.

"You need more crosswind practice from the right, Next week, then?" he says amiably.
"Next week." I agree, my tail between my legs.

denny-o and Fat Albert the Apache

Ausgezeichnet!

If this is supposed to be funny, I'm missing it. I fire idiots that act like that.

I kept waiting for a punch line.

If this is supposed to be funny, I'm missing it. I fire idiots that act like that.

My CFII was way worse, brutal, and we did all 40 of my IR in a week with a single 170b and ADf Best CFII I could have asked for.

If this is supposed to be funny, I'm missing it.

So noted. Does the sign on your desk say "firing will continue until morale improves?":D

Last edited:
So noted. Does the sign on your desk say "firing will continue until morale improves?":D

No, it's "you'll be on-call for every other week for the rest of your life, and you'll like it", I believe. ;)

Followed by, "Thanks for the $4M and the expenses paid move to Florida to be at the new Corporate HQ! Enjoy that year-long salary freeze!" ;)

The one-rung lower Big boss (who actually shows signs of being a normal human being towards others) came around today and, kicked us all out of the cube farm at 1PM. At 1:30 I got out to the truck. At 1:45 my phone rang with the first outage which was dutifully fixed via iPad five minutes later.

Did I mention that the recent outages caused multiple engineers to have pre-planned Christmas vacations cancelled and told they're coming to work until further notice. No vacations approved. All rescinded. Those dumb enough to believe they could wait until Christmas week in the "use it or lose it" vacation time scheme, are going to lose it.

Luckily, I burnt mine with the IR in Nebraska and a lovely summer vacation in beautiful airplane-filled Oshkosh WI so I can just cringe for the co-workers screwed over and offer them condolences.

That's my work place.

The Mrs got her "on-call insanity of the week" show stopper last night when a patient called to say she didn't know how to fill a pill box. Seriously.

She went there today and showed her. Medicare will pay for one educational visit, so I recommend y'all keep your notepad handy when your nurse visits...

Her other fun this week was walking in on a patient who was nearly comatose and none of the LPNs or less skilled staff had even noticed. She was pretty peeved about that one. Takes a lot to get her even mildly angry. She was yelling at someone on the phone.

Christmas season in the DenverPilot Haus! IT and medical disasters. Wheeee!

That was funny.
The whacks reminded me of an old tail dragger CFI that slapped our hands off the throttle if he didn't like what we did, and the mouth foam of a college calculus prof....

Back