Better Make it Good. We're Judging You

I thought what made the plane bounce was the required nose-down attitude to descend at the high speed, which makes the nose wheel touch first. This pivots the plane and the mains touch hard as the nose wheel rebounds upwards, and the plane, still at flying speed, rises back into the air.

If the pilot then noses down towards the runway, it gets ugly fast; if thepilot give up yoke, he's just out of sync as the plane will climb too steeply and the nose will drop to maintain speed, giving another bounce. Keep this up, and it is also ugly, often with a prop strike at the end of Bounce #3.

On the other hand, there are two choices for recovery: 1) after the first bounce, go around and try again, somewhat slower; 2) on the first bounce, give enough throttle to hold the extra altitude and make a normal landing from there, including enough runway to slow down. If there's not enough room left, go around.

Negative. You can do everything perfect in the approach, flare, float and still bounce a little on the main gear if you don't hold it off until it's about ready to stall. In my case, it was simply a matter of me allowing the mains to touch before I had all the speed bled off. I reckon, because of the extra weight that I wasn't used to, the plane settled down just a touch faster than it usually does. I should have applied a little more back pressure on the yoke to keep it airborne for a couple more seconds to bleed off those last few mph. Attitude was still correctly nose high, but I was maybe 5-10 mph above stall when the mains touched. It's really more like skipping than bouncing. The wheels touch a little, but the plane is not done flying just yet. My "bounces" were maybe 6 inches off the ground, not something that would've made a go around necessary. Nothing dramatic at all, just not a good looking landing in front of a gallery of judges.

Per the 182 manual I have

8. Airspeed 70-80 MPH with Flaps extended.

80 over the fence is perfectly fine, probably just needed to reduce power a bit sooner since he was trying for a short fielding landing.

Brian

Oops. I overlooked that it was miles per hour, not knots. Please disregard my comments about your approach speed. :redface:

80 over the fence is perfectly fine, probably just needed to reduce power a bit sooner since he was trying for a short fielding landing.

Brian

Yep, that's what mine says as well.

Oops. I overlooked that it was miles per hour, not knots. Please disregard my comments about your approach speed. :redface:

No prob. Either way, I was still too fast for a short field landing.

I know most folks are used to knots, but out of the 6 or 7 planes I've flown, all but one of them measured speed in mph. Sorry, I'm just not used to knots.

Brian

That's an approach speed.

Vref adjusted for weight is 65 knots at max gross of 2950, and only 51 at 1800 lbs. Pretty wide range and something folks rarely account for. He said he was heavy but I doubt at max gross.

The checklist approach numbers don't account for weight, so they're the highest ones to be safe at max gross. Gotta spend some quality time in the fine print to get the big picture.

A light 182 needs to be flown/landed slower.

Also don't forget to correct for indicated versus calibrated. It also makes a big difference when slow in a 182.

Vs indicated is 53. Vso is 48 on mine, indicated.

Technically I can go slower with the STOL kit but the sink rate goes up dramatically and it's difficult to control it that slow as the induced drag builds without power and hanging it there that slow. The above are non-STOL numbers.

In most configurations with flaps I'll shoot for 65 knots on final and decelerating to 55 indicated right over the fence, where a landing is assured, and not need to bleed off much at all other than the extra margin the STOL kit provides. If you hold 65 to the flare you're going to float a while to get rid of the excess.

Your number of 70 MPH over the fence is plenty in almost all scenarios. 80 is a lot of speed to slough off.

*the above are from a digital POH app that I've checked carefully against the 182P POH before, but I just noticed my real POH got dumped out of my phone when I did a restore a while back. So I'll fix that soon. Otherwise I'd throw in some of those fine print screenshots.

It is possible to grease one on and pin it doing 80m.p.h. I've done it.

You do a wheelie and hope a gust doesn't blow you back up.

Should have told them you got 3 landings on one runway, try to beat that with your RC plane

Also don't forget to correct for indicated versus calibrated. It also makes a big difference when slow in a 182.

All the 182 manuals I've seen specify the indicated airspeed. They don't tell you what the calibrated airspeed should be (unless you convert the numbers they give).

One of my best landings was the first time I took my wife up after getting my PPL. Bumpy day, slight cross wind and nothing but a slight chirp. She even said that it was the smoothest landing she had ever experienced. She even went as far as telling her friends about her first GA flight and how I had a better landing than she had ever had on a commercial flight.

One of my worst landings was on her second flight with me.....

It is possible to grease one on and pin it doing 80m.p.h. I've done it.

You do a wheelie and hope a gust doesn't blow you back up.

LOL. I've done that too, but in a nosedragger it looks kinda stupid doing a fast three pointer. :)

You have a bit of an advantage with the mains in front for wheelies. ;)

All the 182 manuals I've seen specify the indicated airspeed. They don't tell you what the calibrated airspeed should be (unless you convert the numbers they give).

Vspeed page is in Calibrated I believe. (There's a reason I brought it up, but now I can't remember. And I keep forgetting to copy the dang thing back into my phone.)

The airspeed limitations table gives both. The procedures sections (and the checklists in them) appear to use exclusively indicated airspeed.

Back