Better coast for GA?

Serious question? You think politics don’t have an impact on GA? I tend to think they have an enormous impact on GA including taxes, EPA regs, land use, FAA rules and regs, I can go on. In fact, I think politicians and lawyers are what has caused GA to be so expensive.

grBvoJh.gif

In the end, regardless of which coast you pick, if your job ties you to a large urban area then a lot of things are gonna suck. Unless you like the urban lifestyle; some people do though I can't fathom why.

Once you get away from the big cities, upstate NY is quite beautiful and mostly rural. Unfortunately, NY is consistently ranked as the least free state in terms of government interference with your daily life, taxes, etc... yes, even worse than NJ or CA (but not by much). If you work in NY and live in another state the NY out-of-state income tax return is an exercise in bureaucratic torture... we live in CT for most of the year but my wife and kids have occasionally worked part time in NY when staying at our cabin upstate. Not much question that CA is a better place for GA if you are close to an airport where hangar space is available... if you have to battle an hour and a half of traffic to get to your plane you're not going to fly much. YMMV, but, I'll take NY (not NYC!) and its woods and changing seasons over CA's irrigated desert and crunchy politics any day, to me CA is a nice place to visit but not to live in. I like living in a place where it's cold enough in the winter to kill all the nastier bugs and critters, no scorpions in the northeast!

I like living in a place where it's cold enough in the winter to kill all the nastier bugs and critters, no scorpions in the northeast!
Lack of scorpions isn't because of the cold, that's because the mosquitos carry them all away. ;)

If I had to chose between the two with an emphasis on flying I'd choose the bay area over the NYC area. I've lived in one, worked in both, flown in both. My politics don't enter the equation, I'm with @kayoh190 on that.

Nauga,
the economic contributor

Back