Best Western - movie, TV show, TV series

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Lonesome Dove probably my favorite, like Eastwood's Unforgiven too. Liked Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou too.

Last edited:
TV Series I watched Gunsmoke, but I always like Have Gun Will Travel w/ Richard Boone I think.

North to Alaska and paint your wagon for fun westerns

Silverado - stands alone as a true masterpiece and one of my favorites

McClintock is always fun

Lonesome Dove is definitely one of the best. I also have a soft spot for Conagher (Sam Elliot) and Crossfire Trail (Tom Seleck).

I liked Open Country better than Unforgiven. Something about Unforgiven that I didn't like, but can't recall why. I just remember not wanting to see it a second time.

Sam Elliot the iconic cowboy isn't he, and that voice. Bet he gets more, well, women, with that voice alone.

Yeah I like Paint Your Wagon too. Actually any Lee Marvin flick.

Silverado followed closely by the original Magnificent Seven. TV, Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen and his sawed off Winchester.

Cheers

Lonesome Dove is definitely one of the best. I also have a soft spot for Conagher (Sam Elliot) and Crossfire Trail (Tom Seleck).

I liked Open Country better than Unforgiven. Something about Unforgiven that I didn't like, but can't recall why. I just remember not wanting to see it a second time.
I have never been able to get all the way through unforgiven. There is something about the pace, the plot, the actors that just doesn't keep my attention or develope any interest to finish.

Any western with Tom Selleck or Eli Wallach or John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

Unforgiven - I've seen it many times, and will see it many more.
The Outlaw Josey Wales - ditto

The Wild Bunch - not really a "western", but has horses, shootouts, 'splosions, more shootouts, "the walk", and another shootout.

True Grit - I like the newer version better.

High Noon - Grace Kelly was smokin'.

Blazing Saddles - because.

And one that most haven't seen, but is pretty fun:
The Warrior's Way - because cowboys and ninjas.

Another vote for Silverado, also Open Range, any movie with the older Duke, any Clint Eastwood western and...and... somebody stop me. Love westerns!

I freaking love that show! It's a lot better then the B movie of the same name.
We saw them filming part of it out at dead horse point in the canyon lands park in Utah over 2 years ago and had been thinking it was cancelled as it was taking so long, but it was worth the wait.

Good to see a good new show on HBO as GOT is wrapping up

Favorite is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Marvin. Excellent story. Best western ever, IMHO.

Next would be Stagecoach. A very close second.

Third would be Winchester 73.

After those three come, in no particular order, Tie A Yellow Ribbon, Support Your Local Sheriff, Wyatt Earp, Maverick, and McClintock.

I've always remembered a western parody that I super enjoyed once a very long time ago but have never seen it again and can't find it to rent or buy. It must not have been as good as I remember and I probably wouldn't care for it if I did see it again now. The title was "Once Upon a Horse" if I remember correctly. Does anyone else remember it??

I've always remembered a western parody that I super enjoyed once a very long time ago but have never seen it again and can't find it to rent or buy. It must not have been as good as I remember and I probably wouldn't care for it if I did see it again now. The title was "Once Upon a Horse" if I remember correctly. Does anyone else remember it??

I think I saw that too, maybe 1972 or something. Hilarious at the time, and as you say, might just be dumb now. Didn't know what it was called, and maybe that isn't it anyway.

Favorite TV western series: Nichols, with James Garner. Favorite westerns? They call me Trinity, and Trinity is Still My Name. Spaghetti westerns.

Once upon a time in the west. Great western movie.

Favorite westerns? They call me Trinity, and Trinity is Still My Name. Spaghetti westerns.

LOL yup those Trinity flicks were funny, sorta a western cowboy w/ crazy judo or something like that moves.

LOL yup those Trinity flicks were funny, sorta a western cowboy w/ crazy judo or something like that moves.

The judo stuff was in the Jackie Chan westerns. More funny movies.

The judo stuff was in the Jackie Chan westerns. More funny movies.

Guess it must have been funny gun handling or something. Always thought of them being a little bit of comedy.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Unforgiven is right up there too...dark and brooding.

best western.jpg

Back