Best way to study for the ATP written?

Kingfish

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kingfish
Howdy all,

I'm a 2400hr CFI flying for a 135 and looking to take the ATP written. What's the consensus on the best way to study? I considered the King online course, but having recently done their Instrument Ground Instructor course I found a lot of info to be dated and don't want to spend $300 just to find out their ATP course is also dated. The Gleim test prep demo looked pretty dull, but I've read some good things about Sheppard Air's prep. Also, is taking the ATP single-engine written a good strategy to avoid the $4000 CTP course?

You’ll have to take the CTP course for the ATP-Multi (see FAR 61.156).

If your objective is to pass the written, use Sheppard.

Sheppard is awesome but it’s not a groundschool, just test prep mainly. With the most current questions

Howdy all,

I'm a 2400hr CFI flying for a 135 and looking to take the ATP written. What's the consensus on the best way to study? I considered the King online course, but having recently done their Instrument Ground Instructor course I found a lot of info to be dated and don't want to spend $300 just to find out their ATP course is also dated. The Gleim test prep demo looked pretty dull, but I've read some good things about Sheppard Air's prep. Also, is taking the ATP single-engine written a good strategy to avoid the $4000 CTP course?
It appears you have a misunderstanding - taking the ATP-Single knowledge test does not exempt you from the ATP-Multi. If you want to be an ATP-Multi pilot, you need to do the CTP, ATP-Multi knowledge, and ATP Multi checkride, regardless of which other ratings you have. The ATP Single works like any other rating, with the knowledge test and the checkride but no CTP.

If you already have an ATP Multi rating and then go to get an ATP Single, you do NOT need to re-take the knowledge test. But it doesn't work the other way.

It appears you have a misunderstanding - taking the ATP-Single knowledge test does not exempt you from the ATP-Multi. If you want to be an ATP-Multi pilot, you need to do the CTP, ATP-Multi knowledge, and ATP Multi checkride, regardless of which other ratings you have. The ATP Single works like any other rating, with the knowledge test and the checkride but no CTP.

If you already have an ATP Multi rating and then go to get an ATP Single, you do NOT need to re-take the knowledge test. But it doesn't work the other way.
Hi, I wasn't suggesting the ATP-S would replace the ATP-multi; just asking if the CTP course is a prerequisite for the ATP-Single. I'd read you only need the CTP course for the ATP-multi.

A significant portion of the ATP written consists of FAA regulations you just have to memorize anyway, a "ground school" isn't really going to help.

I used the ASA test prep book to "pre-study". My CTP course paid from the Sheppard program and I used that to polish it off. But you do not need a CTP course for the single engine ATP.

For conceptual learning, consider the Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual.

Hi, I wasn't suggesting the ATP-S would replace the ATP-multi; just asking if the CTP course is a prerequisite for the ATP-Single. I'd read you only need the CTP course for the ATP-multi.
The CTP course is only required for a airplane-multiengine ATP. See 61.153.

what’s confusing is your question about “a good strategy to avoid the $4000 CTP course.”

Back