Best way to scan a letter?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
We've already established that I'm not real bright when it comes to computers, so please bear with me. :) I never have been very good at scanning stuff.

I have a new printer (HP Officejet 6500) and I'm not sure which setting to use to scan a few letters for posting here and on the Red Board. These are Young Eagle thank-you notes that are too long for me to re-type. I'm already going to type up excerpts from several of the over 60 thank-you notes and I'd like to post a few of the long ones as attachments.

So, would would be the best way to save the scanned letters for posting as attachments after I scan them? PDF? Word Doc? JPEG?

Thanks in advance. :)

Diana,

I have an HP scanner - I usually scan letters as PDF files. I think pretty much everyone can open, view and print a PDF. I've never had problems that way.

I haven't really tried scanning as a Word doc, I think then you start getting into optical character recognition problems. Might not really be a problem for a short document like a letter.

If it's just for posting on the board, then probably a JPEG would be OK as an attachment.

Just give it a try!

I agree with Matthew a PDF would probably be my first choice especially if you have a bunch and want to put them all in one file.

A jpeg is fine.

One thing I have been doing lately is using my phone, or P&S camera to take a picture and post that. It seems to go much quicker and is very readable although not the quality of a scanner. The scanner has more even light and no extra stuff.

Joe

Diana: I'm not a guru either (actually I'm am also challenged), but we scan a lot of things here at my office. I would vote for the pdf. Just be careful to not set the resolution too high, or the pdf files can get really big.

When I scan a letter, I don't really read it. I just sort of glance over it, then toss it aside.

PDF or JPG is probably the better file format for an attachment here.

Of the choices, an OCR'd Word document would probably have the smaller file size, but everyone having an installed viewer compatible with the proprietary file format may be problematic.

I recommend pdf as opposed to jpeg. But either works.

Back