Best way to get there?

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
I am flying into Minneapolis commercial and need to get to Albert Lea. I was just going to rent a car. Only problem with that is once I get there I really don't need the car. I will be there 7-10 days and the car costs more than the airfare from NM to Minneapolis. Any of you experienced travelers have a better suggestion? Its about 90 miles so taxi's and shuttles probably out.
Ideas?

Don

First, I'd check airfairs to Mason City IA as it's only about 30 miles from AEL. Or Rochester MN which about 50 miles away. Second, I',m waiting for a return call from a friend that's lived in AEL all his life and he might have a suggestion as to the easiest/quickest/cheapest way to get from KMSP to AEL. I know there are shuttle vans from MSP to RST and it wouldn't surprise me to find that one goes to AEL as well. Finally I am likely to be looking for excuses to fly my new avionics (and old airplane) and might be able to make the connection for you if I'm around and available.

Edit: I found one company offering bus service from KMSP to "Ole's Eastside Shell" (really!) in Albert Lea. Here's a link:

www.jeffersonlines.com/schedule-minnesota.asp

I requested and received a schedule and price from the bus line:

Jefferson Lines Schedule Service
Thank you for your interest in Jefferson Lines. We are more than willing to help you in planning for your trip. Here is the information that you requested​

Depart MSP
Arrives Albert Lea

Schedule 1
Minneapolis Airport, MN 1:50 pm
Albert Lea, MN 3:55 pm

Schedule 2
Minneapolis Airport, MN 8:45 pm
Albert Lea, MN 10:45 pm

Schedule 3

Schedule 4

The fare for this trip is approximately $ 30.90 (O/W) per person. Roundtrip fares are simply double a one way fare. All schedules run 7 days a week, unless otherwise noted. Please make note that schedules and bus fares are subject to change at anytime, and some places may charge tax. Weekend prices and holiday prices will be a higher rate than regular prices. For information on Advance Purchase Specials, Military Specials, and any other type of Discounts, just give us a call at the number listed below.
If you need to talk to a customer service representative feel free to call us at 1-888-864-2832. We have representatives working daily from 6:30AM to 6PM; Monday - Friday and 9AM to 6PM; Saturday - Sunday.

If you have need of any type of assistance due to disabilities, feel free to check out our ADA Assistance Line at 1-888-864-2832. We can make sure that you are taken care of through your trip. You do need to call 48 hour before your traveling date.

Thank you for your interest in Jefferson Lines.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
First, I'd check airfairs to Mason City IA as it's only about 30 miles from AEL. Or Rochester MN which about 50 miles away. Second, I',m waiting for a return call from a friend that's lived in AEL all his life and he might have a suggestion as to the easiest/quickest/cheapest way to get from KMSP to AEL. I know there are shuttle vans from MSP to RST and it wouldn't surprise me to find that one goes to AEL as well. Finally I am likely to be looking for excuses to fly my new avionics (and old airplane) and might be able to make the connection for you if I'm around and available.

Edit: I found one company offering bus service from KMSP to "Ole's Eastside Shell" (really!) in Albert Lea. Here's a link:

www.jeffersonlines.com/schedule-minnesota.asp

I requested and received a schedule and price from the bus line:

Jefferson Lines Schedule Service
Thank you for your interest in Jefferson Lines. We are more than willing to help you in planning for your trip. Here is the information that you requested​

Depart MSP
Arrives Albert Lea

Schedule 1
Minneapolis Airport, MN 1:50 pm
Albert Lea, MN 3:55 pm

Schedule 2
Minneapolis Airport, MN 8:45 pm
Albert Lea, MN 10:45 pm

Schedule 3

Schedule 4

The fare for this trip is approximately $ 30.90 (O/W) per person. Roundtrip fares are simply double a one way fare. All schedules run 7 days a week, unless otherwise noted. Please make note that schedules and bus fares are subject to change at anytime, and some places may charge tax. Weekend prices and holiday prices will be a higher rate than regular prices. For information on Advance Purchase Specials, Military Specials, and any other type of Discounts, just give us a call at the number listed below.
If you need to talk to a customer service representative feel free to call us at 1-888-864-2832. We have representatives working daily from 6:30AM to 6PM; Monday - Friday and 9AM to 6PM; Saturday - Sunday.

If you have need of any type of assistance due to disabilities, feel free to check out our ADA Assistance Line at 1-888-864-2832. We can make sure that you are taken care of through your trip. You do need to call 48 hour before your traveling date.

Thank you for your interest in Jefferson Lines.

Thanks for the info Lance, I got the schedule from them this morning as well.
I bit the bullet and rented the car. It looks like the daily walk is more than what I would want to do anyway. If you are looking for an excuse to fly come down for dinner or something.
Don

Don Jones said:
Thanks for the info Lance, I got the schedule from them this morning as well.
I bit the bullet and rented the car. It looks like the daily walk is more than what I would want to do anyway. If you are looking for an excuse to fly come down for dinner or something.
Don

OK. Just let me know your schedule and I'll try. BTW I'd figure on 1:15 - 1:30 for the drive depending on time of day. And if you manage to arrive in a serious winter storm (let's hope not) that could double.

lancefisher said:
OK. Just let me know your schedule and I'll try. BTW I'd figure on 1:15 - 1:30 for the drive depending on time of day. And if you manage to arrive in a serious winter storm (let's hope not) that could double.

I will let you know as soon as I know. I will be arriving in Minneapolis on the 5th
at around 4:30 pm. The class does not start until the 7th. Plan to spend the day of the 6th resting up and reading. I am sure it is going to be a busy week, but I hope they give a guy time to eat. I would enjoy getting to meet you if it is possible, if not maybe another time. That goes for anyone else in the area as well.
Don

Oh wow.

DO NOT TAKE JEFFERSON LINES

I took them from Des Moines to Albert Lea. It was hell. Or maybe I just had a bad bus. Or maybe I was upset about Des Moines..either way, bad memory.

Anyways. I'd be interested in meeting up. I'm sort of inbetween FBO's/Club's/Huge Freaking Mess right now. So i'm not sure if I'd fly or drive depending on if I have airplane access....either way it's pretty close.

Jesse

Don Jones said:
I will let you know as soon as I know. I will be arriving in Minneapolis on the 5th
at around 4:30 pm. The class does not start until the 7th. Plan to spend the day of the 6th resting up and reading. I am sure it is going to be a busy week, but I hope they give a guy time to eat. I would enjoy getting to meet you if it is possible, if not maybe another time. That goes for anyone else in the area as well.
Don

I'm scheduled to be out of town from Wednesday the 8th thru Friday the 10th, but we ought to be able to get together before I leave.

I was accepted into a flying club and now have an airplane to fly again ! :)

So I'd be interested in flying over there, or meeting up somewhere.

flyingcheesehead said:
Cool Jesse! What kind of plane?

2 C172s
3 Archers
1 C182
1 Warrior (this one is going to be sold)

jangell said:
2 C172s
3 Archers
1 C182
1 Warrior (this one is going to be sold)

Ah, excellent! A selection! :yes:

I like the Pipers better than the Cessnas, but I like our 182 anyway. It's a great traveling machine and Piper doesn't make anything like it. (Cherokee 235/Pathfinder/Dakota still has the same cabin as the littler Cherokees, and I can't sit in it for more than 1.5-2 hours at a time.)

Glad you found a home. Being stuck without airplanes... I don't even want to think about how much that would suck. :eek:

Back