Best way to get from Buffalo, NY to Long Island

citationxjl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I am just curious if anyone knows of a good way to get from Buffalo to Long Island. I see that southwest does that route but has a stop in baltimore. Are there any small scheduled 135 or small airlines that fly that route??

Thanks
Jeff

I am just curious if anyone knows of a good way to get from Buffalo to Long Island. I see that southwest does that route but has a stop in baltimore. Are there any small scheduled 135 or small airlines that fly that route??

Thanks
Jeff

We fly BUF to EWR as Continental (Dash-8) or BUF to LaGuardia as US Airways (Saab 340). Alternately, Airways (actually Air Wisconsin CRJ then Colgan Saab 340) does BUF-BOS-Islip.

Does SWA do BUF-ISP? And one probably should ask what part of Long Island -- it's 118 miles from Brooklyn to Montauk Point, and that's a real long drive with the traffic.

Does SWA do BUF-ISP? And one probably should ask what part of Long Island -- it's 118 miles from Brooklyn to Montauk Point, and that's a real long drive with the traffic.

But the LIE is SO much fun!

benhur.jpg

They do, with a stop in Baltimore. And ISP is where I will be picked up.

They do, with a stop in Baltimore. And ISP is where I will be picked up.

SWA to ISP is best way to go -- I've done that trip so many times I gave away free flights like candy (back in the day when you earned extra credit for booking online).

Layovers in BWI aren't too awful -- just don't expect much from the Phillips Seafood restaurant.

If you must fly commercial, then Southwest is the way to go- least likely to strand you, no BS, they tell you the truth. The frontline folks treat passengers with respect, which I think is the result of the fact that management, top-down, treat everyone else in the company with respect.

Good outfit.

Oh yeah. They run on-time most of the time.

The best way is via GA, of course. ;)

But failing that, see the suggestions above. Islip is a nice little airport, although I've only ever flown into there in something with pistons that I was piloting.

The best way is via GA, of course. ;)

But failing that, see the suggestions above. Islip is a nice little airport, although I've only ever flown into there in something with pistons that I was piloting.

Before the company I used to work for forbade "private aircraft flying," I flew into ISP for a meeting.

I left home at 0630, was airborne by 0715, landed at ISP at 0830, was met by a lineman who asked if I needed a car or anything else. I had a car rented -- it was running, waiting for me. I was in my meeting by 0900. (NY Jet was the FBO, IIRC)

I left at 1500 and was home by dinner.

:D

One week later I flew Commercial.

Had to leave the night before, got frisked by TSA, had to stay the next night, and left on a 0615 AM flight -- I was home in time for dinner.

:mad:

Ugh.

Dan, that sounds suspiciously like a few trips I've had to make, where I had to drive or fly commercial instead of flying GA. One trip I recall back in October turned what should have been a 1 day trip (wake up, hop in the Mooney, fly out, have meeting, fly home, back in time for dinner) into a 3 day trip (wake up, drive there, spend the night, have meeting, spend the night, drive home, back in time for dinner).

This is where GA saves companies lots of money. Those two days driving were easily worth reimbursement for my rental cost. In fact, the rental for the plane would have saved several hundred dollars vs. the cost of my mileage for driving, extra meals for two days, and hotel rooms for two nights (and there were 3 people on this trip).

Nevermind the lost work from 2 days driving vs. being in the office actually doing something...

Dan, that sounds suspiciously like a few trips I've had to make, where I had to drive or fly commercial instead of flying GA. One trip I recall back in October turned what should have been a 1 day trip (wake up, hop in the Mooney, fly out, have meeting, fly home, back in time for dinner) into a 3 day trip (wake up, drive there, spend the night, have meeting, spend the night, drive home, back in time for dinner).

This is where GA saves companies lots of money. Those two days driving were easily worth reimbursement for my rental cost. In fact, the rental for the plane would have saved several hundred dollars vs. the cost of my mileage for driving, extra meals for two days, and hotel rooms for two nights (and there were 3 people on this trip).

Nevermind the lost work from 2 days driving vs. being in the office actually doing something...

Yep, but try convincing risk-averse CEOs/CFOs...

I need to start my own business again. I'd only have to work half a day!

(The other twelve hours I get to do whatever I want!)

Back