Best way to get back into training?

Jeff Szlauko

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChopperJeff
Currently I'm about 40 hours into training for my private pitot's license, having soloed at the 24 hour mark, and close to being able to solo cross country. For numerous reasons, I took a one month break at 36 hours, then did three lessons with a new instructor and airport. My last lesson was in early December. I'm wondering now what the best way to get back into it would be.
I haven't taken the FAA written test yet. So, one idea I have is to study, and pass the FAA test before moving forward with the in-flight training. Doing this would also allow me to get some money saved up so that I can afford the lessons. However, doing this would also add a month or more of downtime with flying, and I have already not flown for about a month. Would this be a factor?
Was also thinking that when I do get back into flying, that instead of doing it once a week like I did last year, that I'll jump into it at twice a week, maybe more.
I guess my main concern is the time off from flying, and will being away from it for another month or more be a major factor. Also, due to the higher cost of the place I lastly took lessons from, I'm toying with the idea of taking lessons from a CFI who does it as a hobby (he's a doctor by trade), but this may involve moving on to yet another airport.
Sorry for the lengthy message. A lot more to this than I thought.

A Doctor? Make sure it's not in a Bonanaza! JK!

I like the idea of flying twice or more a week. More efficient and you'll save time and money doing it this way. Just start back up when you're ready financially and get it done. If you're going to wait awhile to fly may as well knock out the written. Good luck!

I took several extended breaks during my training, necessitated by the nature of work. The way to get back to it is the same way you get back to it as a rusty pilot - grab an instructor, go out and do basic air work - steep turns, stalls recognition, engine out, etc. Come back and do the procedures for different take offs and landings. A flight or two like this and it will start to come back to you. Get your sign off to solo if it has expired and go out and practice.

You don't have to get to be perfect, but you do need to get back to being safe.

Get the written done,then start the flying when you have enough funds to go all the way,with the flight training. Twice a week works well.

Back