Best way to back up iTunes library?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Brian encouraged me to back up files on my computer. :yes: :D I know there is a thread here somewhere about backing up music on iTunes, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is? Or do you have any suggestions as to backing up the iTunes library?

Thanks!

Thanks Mike! Now I need to figure out how to get it into another computer, and to take it from my iPod back into the computer if all else fails. It looks like there might be a way to do that listed on their support web site.

Thanks Mike! Now I need to figure out how to get it into another computer, and to take it from my iPod back into the computer if all else fails. It looks like there might be a way to do that listed on their support web site.

You can't copy music FROM the iPod without a third party utility that you have to pay for.

If have any purchased iTunes music the other computer has to be authorized to play it and to work with the iPod. You can only authorize 5 computers. You should deauthorized a computer that you don't need anymore.

You can't copy music FROM the iPod without a third party utility that you have to pay for.
Oh. :(

If have any purchased iTunes music the other computer has to be authorized to play it and to work with the iPod. You can only authorize 5 computers. You should deauthorized a computer that you don't need anymore.
How do I authorize my laptop? Are there instructions somewhere?

Without doing anything, you always have two copies of your iTunes library - one on your computer and one on the iPod/iPhone. You can also just back up the iTunes folder any way you want (i.e. big external disk) and put it back if you lost both your iPod and your 'puter libraries. There's no need to buy anything or jump through any special hoops if all you're interested in is a backup.

All that stuff about authorizing multiple computers is just if you want your purchased music to be available to be played on other systems.

Ummm, Diana, what I actually recommended was that you ask folks for their suggestions on how to back up ALL of your files... not just your iTunes library. :D:D

I like Acronis True Image and it would work well with your mybook external USB drive. It's easy and pretty inexpensive. However, there are lots of other possibilities and some of the folks here may have better recommendations for you.

But you want to use a method that:

1. Lets you recover your data in case your entire system dies.

2. Lets you recover individual pieces (i.e., just your photos or a single photo or just the iTunes directory) in case the computer is still working but the cats get to playing on the keyboard again.

Then you want to use it regularly :D -- like once a week.

How do I authorize my laptop? Are there instructions somewhere?

I'm pretty sure all you need to do is copy a protected song (one bought from the iTunes store) to your laptop and attempt to play it. You'll be asked for your password. After you type it in, any other protected songs you've purchased will also be playable (you only have to enter the PW once.)

Welcome to the joy that is Apply products. Non Apple MP3 players (for the most part) will allow this.

Only the ones that don't have to deal with the record companies to run their own store. I'll bet ya the Zune won't do it either.

It ain't Apple, it's your friends :)rolleyes:) at the RIAA. Again.

In fact, speaking of the Zune, Microsoft kowtowed to the RIAA big-time: They send a couple bucks for every Zune sold to them, because if you own an MP3 player you MUST be stealing music, right? :eek:

Ummm, Diana, what I actually recommended was that you ask folks for their suggestions on how to back up ALL of your files... not just your iTunes. :D :D
Oh. :redface:
:D

Just doing "baby steps" today. :D

Can't get the copied music to show up in the iTunes library on the laptop yet.

Brian you have been successful in convincing me to do frequent backups. :)

Can't get the copied music to show up in the iTunes library on the laptop yet.

Diana, are you trying to get your entire library on a different computer? Same computer but replacing the iTunes lib with a backup? There some really easy step-by-step directions on the apple web site under the iTunes/Support section.

To all those that have been drinking Microsoft's cool aid, all you have to do on a Mac now is give it a big disk drive and enable Time Machine on it. Backups are completely transparent and restoring any version of a file from any date is so simple a caveman could do it. No 3rd party software, no cost for anything other than the drive you point it to. So, I've never had to give it another thought about what might happen if my photos, iTunes, movies, etc get wiped out.

Wes

Only the ones that don't have to deal with the record companies to run their own store. I'll bet ya the Zune won't do it either.

It ain't Apple, it's your friends :)rolleyes:) at the RIAA. Again.

In fact, speaking of the Zune, Microsoft kowtowed to the RIAA big-time: They send a couple bucks for every Zune sold to them, because if you own an MP3 player you MUST be stealing music, right? :eek:

Worser than that. Remember "Plays for Sure," Microsoft's previous "fer sure" DRM they licensed to maker of MP3 players? 1) They didn't extend the system to the Zune, Microsoft's own player. The Zune has a distinct DRM and music store. 2) They ended support for Plays for Sure, so any music you bought will only work on the PC and portable it's on. You can't extend the rights to another PC or player and the day will come soon that the music is unplayable.

ANY DRM is bad juju. Don't never buy it.

Diana, are you trying to get your entire library on a different computer? Same computer but replacing the iTunes lib with a backup? There some really easy step-by-step directions on the apple web site under the iTunes/Support section.

To all those that have been drinking Microsoft's cool aid, all you have to do on a Mac now is give it a big disk drive and enable Time Machine on it. Backups are completely transparent and restoring any version of a file from any date is so simple a caveman could do it. No 3rd party software, no cost for anything other than the drive you point it to. So, I've never had to give it another thought about what might happen if my photos, iTunes, movies, etc get wiped out.

Wes

Nah... she has a PC that had a cat-ccident this week. One of her cats was spotted trampling on her keyboard. Shortly after, she ended up with corrupted files and was unable to login properly or access her personal files on that computer.

We ended up getting most of her system back for her, including all of her personal files, music, photos, email, etc. However, in the process of doing so, I discovered that she doesn't back up her system, so I've urged her to begin doing so.

I suggested she start a thread here asking for suggestions for the best way to backup a PC. She has a reasonably large (about 250GB) external USB drive she can use. It currently holds a backup copy of all of her personal files from the errant PC. But she needs a backup system that is simple and easy enough that she'll actually do the backups on a regular basis. Hence, this thread. :)

Amen! I've been using computers for darn near 30 years and I never had regular backups until Leopard/Time Machine came out. And it is DIRT simple to "set up" - Plug in the drive, click "yes." That's it. (No, you don't even have to open anything first.)

Wes, after saving my library I was trying to copy it over to my laptop and I thought I was following iTunes support advice, but it didn't seem to work right for some reason. I found out that I had authorized the laptop previously. I wonder if it was necessary to be on the internet for iTunes to do it? I pull up iTunes on the laptop but the new songs aren't there unless I play the songs one at a time individually after clicking on them in the library folder. Hmmmmm. :dunno: Well, I'll have to work on it later after mowing the runways.

she has a PC that had a cat-ccident this week. One of her cats was spotted trampling on her keyboard.
"cat-ccident" How funny! :D

And this is a repeat offender:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12861

We ended up getting most of her system back for her, including all of her personal files, music, photos, email, etc.

:happydance: :cheerswine:

However, in the process of doing so, I discovered that she doesn't back up her system
:redface:

so I've urged her to begin doing so.
In the nicest way too. :yes:

After talking to India for over an hour yesterday, we found out that they need to come get on our roof and adjust the satellite dish...could be days. So, I can only get on the internet on the main computer and laptop between about 8:00 and noonish and then it's sporadic and slower than molasses.

Nah... she has a PC that had a cat-ccident this week. One of her cats was spotted trampling on her keyboard. Shortly after, she ended up with corrupted files and was unable to login properly or access her personal files on that computer.

OH! Why didn't ya say so!

The solution:

attachment.php

http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

Attachments

• cat-like-typing-detected.gif
    cat-like-typing-detected.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 42

Actually, I was conversing with one of our IT guys today about how to move a library from one computer to another (gf's little bro got a new comp yesterday for his b-day and as the family computer geek, I get to do the transfer tomorrow) and he gave me a free open-source utility called SharePod. He already had it, so I don't know where to download, but I imagine if you google it you should get somewhere.

Actually, I was conversing with one of our IT guys today about how to move a library from one computer to another (gf's little bro got a new comp yesterday for his b-day and as the family computer geek, I get to do the transfer tomorrow) and he gave me a free open-source utility called SharePod. He already had it, so I don't know where to download, but I imagine if you google it you should get somewhere.
www.getsharepod.com

Back