Best video cameras for aviation?

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
Here's the deal. I've been using a GoPro for the last 3 years. I have it mounted in my Archer, hanging from the ceiling, just behind the front seats. Pretty good view, and works well for reviewing my flights, as I can see the instruments well enough to see what was going on. (Barely) It was a great learning tool for both PPL and IR training. However, my wife has always complained that all we ever see is the one static view. She wants to see more.

Now that I'm in the phase of "becoming proficient on my own" after instrument training, (got my IR ticket Nov 10), I want to up my game a bit. I'm even thinking of posting videos of IFR flights (both real and ones that are just for increasing/maintaining proficiency) on YouTube, and including a post-debrief, where I describe what I felt I did well, and what I learned from the flight. (And of course, invite others to critique and make suggestions on how to improve.) But to do so, I need more cameras. I have some ideas on where I want to mount them and what I want them to point at, but I imagine that over time, I'll make adjustments and changes.

I'm thinking about 4 camera's overall, with one of them connected to comms, and another picking up internal sound from built-in mic. (The others don't really need sound.) I'd like them to be as small as possible, while still providing good video quality. Although the GoPro has worked okay, it ain't the best. (I've had issues with it that can't be explained.) I was looking at some of the Garmin Virbe cameras, of which many look to be more compact.

Just wondering what advice you all might have for me?

I use my S7 camera. 4k with AMOLED display makes watching them back on the device enjoyable and with unlimited storage since Samsung let's you use SD cards it's hard to beat. I can make phone calls with it too.

Hmmm. I wonder if I could use the camera in my old iPhone 6 plus. I have it mounted in the corner pointed at me. I use it like a micro-mini iPad, and use for my checklists, and for the CloudAhoy app. It might work for recording cabin interior. I wonder how long it can record.

Here's the deal. I've been using a GoPro for the last 3 years. I have it mounted in my Archer, hanging from the ceiling, just behind the front seats. Pretty good view, and works well for reviewing my flights, as I can see the instruments well enough to see what was going on. (Barely) It was a great learning tool for both PPL and IR training. However, my wife has always complained that all we ever see is the one static view. She wants to see more.

Now that I'm in the phase of "becoming proficient on my own" after instrument training, (got my IR ticket Nov 10), I want to up my game a bit. I'm even thinking of posting videos of IFR flights (both real and ones that are just for increasing/maintaining proficiency) on YouTube, and including a post-debrief, where I describe what I felt I did well, and what I learned from the flight. (And of course, invite others to critique and make suggestions on how to improve.) But to do so, I need more cameras. I have some ideas on where I want to mount them and what I want them to point at, but I imagine that over time, I'll make adjustments and changes.

I'm thinking about 4 camera's overall, with one of them connected to comms, and another picking up internal sound from built-in mic. (The others don't really need sound.) I'd like them to be as small as possible, while still providing good video quality. Although the GoPro has worked okay, it ain't the best. (I've had issues with it that can't be explained.) I was looking at some of the Garmin Virbe cameras, of which many look to be more compact.

Just wondering what advice you all might have for me?

I've been using XD Replay for years now, and am very happy. I hate the boxy form factor of the GoPro so I've never used it. I have used my XD mounted in different ways, including on my headset (which can be done because of its small size and form factor). Have produced countless terabytes of great video from my flying, including helis, power and gliders. I find it extremely useful for single pilot IFR/IMC, where I can review my flight at leisure afterwards and go over the mistakes (there are always quite a few). I also use a separate digital audio recorder for ATC (in the power planes).

Whoa, I like that form factor a lot, RotorDude. I also don't care for the GoPro's size/shape. How's the battery life and recording time on those?

Kodak Pix Pro?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ive been quite happy with my hero4 black, especially after swapping a IR Cut 5.4mm lenses on it

Last edited:
Whoa, I like that form factor a lot, RotorDude. I also don't care for the GoPro's size/shape. How's the battery life and recording time on those?

Battery of my camera (XD Replay 1080) is around 1.5 hrs, but I normally use it with an external USB battery, which gives me essentially unlimited battery life. Recording time for my camera is around 5 hrs, which is due to it not recognizing the 64GB uSD.
BUT
Some late-breaking bad news....

I have just discovered that the company is not selling their products anymore. Still unclear to me what's happening, whether it's permanent or temporary (hopefully!), but at the moment it looks bleak. :(

Last edited:
My hero 4 black has been awful. First had the lexar 633e card and could only get 15 minutes of record time. Tried every configuration and every accessory and only now just found a setup that works without shutting the camera down. Here is the current setup incase anyone else has had the same horrible experience of camera overheating and shutting down.

GoPro Hero 4 Black 1080x60

Nflightcam GoPro Audio+Power Cable

USB battery pack

GoPro LCD backpack for setting the view. This is to avoid the use of wifi to help keep camera cooler.

SanDisk Extreme 64GB

GoPro Frame. The skeleton case I was using didn't allow enough air around the camera and also caused over heating.

With that setup, I just recorded a two hour flight continuous with no shutting down and no freezing.

I hear the Hero 4 Black is known to overheat and I cautious to upgrade to the Hero 5 because I'm worried it still has the overheating issues. Any feedback on the Hero 5 would be great or any others that people like would be good to hear about.

Sony Action cam. Better form factor than a gopro. More features for the price than gopro

If I had to do it over again, I'd get a garmin cam. I like the info it can set inside the picture

If I had to do it over again, I'd get a garmin cam. I like the info it can set inside the picture

+1. I've been using the Garmin Virb XE (purchased with the aviation bundle) and couldn't be happier. Its prop filter renders the prop nearly invisible, and when I have it plugged into ship power it will record for hours on end.

OP, you may also want to research the 360-degree cameras that are out there. With one of those mounted on your headliner you can experience the flight as if you were in the plane, with views in all directions:

My hero 4 black has been awful. First had the lexar 633e card and could only get 15 minutes of record time. Tried every configuration and every accessory and only now just found a setup that works without shutting the camera down. Here is the current setup incase anyone else has had the same horrible experience of camera overheating and shutting down.

GoPro Hero 4 Black 1080x60

Nflightcam GoPro Audio+Power Cable

USB battery pack

GoPro LCD backpack for setting the view. This is to avoid the use of wifi to help keep camera cooler.

SanDisk Extreme 64GB

GoPro Frame. The skeleton case I was using didn't allow enough air around the camera and also caused over heating.

With that setup, I just recorded a two hour flight continuous with no shutting down and no freezing.

I hear the Hero 4 Black is known to overheat and I cautious to upgrade to the Hero 5 because I'm worried it still has the overheating issues. Any feedback on the Hero 5 would be great or any others that people like would be good to hear about.

huh, you update the firmware on the gopro?

Contour GPS models have a built in GPS to grab flight track data as well as altitude, g-forces, and a plethora of other data.

The price ain't bad either and the video quality is nice.

I bought the original garmin VIRB because of the data overlays but had lots of problems with the data overlay. It seemed like the contrast was not as good as in the GoPros either. Maybe it's been fixed with the newer cameras.

I bought the original garmin VIRB because of the data overlays but had lots of problems with the data overlay. It seemed like the contrast was not as good as in the GoPros either. Maybe it's been fixed with the newer cameras.

Yup, video quality in the gopros is better. And, really, the overlay is a gimmick. Very rarely useful. Good video quality is always useful.

Yup, video quality in the gopros is better. And, really, the overlay is a gimmick. Very rarely useful. Good video quality is always useful.
I actually really liked the overlay when it worked. Unfortunately it was more trouble than it was worth.

The difference in image quality between the VIRB and the GoPro is due to the VIRB's prop filter, which reduces contrast and color saturation. However, it also eliminates the prop effect, which I think is worth it.

I've never had any problems with the overlays and I think they're pretty cool.

The difference in image quality between the VIRB and the GoPro is due to the VIRB's prop filter, which reduces contrast and color saturation. However, it also eliminates the prop effect, which I think is worth it.

I've never had any problems with the overlays and I think they're pretty cool.

You can "fix" the prop issue in almost any digital video camera with a $5 neutral density filter taped or otherwise attached to the front of the thing.

You can "fix" the prop issue in almost any digital video camera with a $5 neutral density filter taped or otherwise attached to the front of the thing.
Do any cameras let you change the exposure settings in software to mitigate the rolling shutter effect, or does that just saturate the sensor and overexpose the images?

Seems like GoPro would be the way to go...but I'm not an expert by any means.

Do any cameras let you change the exposure settings in software to mitigate the rolling shutter effect, or does that just saturate the sensor and overexpose the images?

I've never seen one that does, but I'm not a camera mega-geek. Some here have done a lot more video than I have!

I had an "nflightcam" when they came out...basically an Contour HD with a prop filter. I would highly recommend against the contour...it was easy to use, but the software and editing issues were incredibly bad.

Whatever route you go with the camera, I highly recommend getting a Gorillapod tripod so you can get the right shot. You can stick that thing pretty much anywhere.

I've used many different cameras but have had the best of luck with Gyro stabilized cameras. My current favorite value camera is the Hawkeye Firefly 6S (7S is newest model). This combined with the external MyPilotPro mount provides for jello-free smooth video and for only around $80. The new GoPro Hero 5 I see has Gyro stabilization now too.

Back