Best time of year to Island hop in the Bahamas?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Bahamas has been on my bucket list for a while...looking through some of the other Bahamas threads now have a serious itch to toss my bike in the back of my 182 and take off from California for a few weeks for some adventure that direction and go explore. What is the best time of year to hit the Bahamas when traveling via GA? Have done cross the continental US and know the weather patterns and seasons across there, just wondering what best time of the year is when factoring in US and Bahamas weather?

Winter or early spring, so you can appreciate the warm temps. Hope you like Rum.

Limit is 2 bottles if you don't visit a US territory. If you do, I believe 8 or 10 is the limit for customs. Ive got some chocolate rum from Honduras and a coconut from Belize I'm working on. I also recommend the Guavaberry liqueur. Its pretty effin good.

Winter or early spring, so you can appreciate the warm temps. Hope you like Rum.

My favorite time of year is actually June or July.

Days are at their longest, water is warm enough to not need a wetsuit, and the ocean is a lot calmer than in the winter or spring.

I know its hot and humid, but I seem to acclimate to that without much difficulty after a few days.

I actually prefer to avoid the winter months. While its by no means cold by northern standards, its a bit more chilly than I prefer.

Plus, I'd hate to use my hard earned $$$ to fly 1300 NM and have it get dark by 5:45 instead of 8:15 this time of year. Having an extra 2+ hours of daylight each evening makes side trips to different islands a lot easier.

Leaning towards late spring time as I wanna do a Kiteboarding camp while there.

I am heading over this weekend. Flying out of KHWO and looking to hit as many islands as possible. I'll be taking the GoPro, so hopefully I will have something good to share with you guys next week.

Let us know what you run into with epapis, customs to/from, fuel costs, etc. Hoping to do the same some day.

Let us know what you run into with epapis, customs to/from, fuel costs, etc. Hoping to do the same some day.

I believe I have left no stone unturned as far as preparation goes, but I won't fully know until I actually do it. I have found some great resources that have basically walked me through step by step. I have a friend going with me that is also a pilot. Neither one of us have flown outside the country, so we've had plenty of questions since we started planning about a month ago. I will let you all know how it goes.

It's really not that bad. Do the Eapis and make sure you call US Customs and notify them of your arrival back here before you depart the Bahamas. Get a name or at least initials of the officer you spoke to. Overall, it's not to hard.

Limit is 2 bottles if you don't visit a US territory. If you do, I believe 8 or 10 is the limit for customs. Ive got some chocolate rum from Honduras and a coconut from Belize I'm working on. I also recommend the Guavaberry liqueur. Its pretty effin good.

I used to fly into Freeport, Nassau, and Eleuthera (which was fun in a jet airliner), and seems it was 5 bottles? I'm probably wrong.

This is pretty informative. I have an old copy, probably 20 years old. Any pilot supply has it, Sportys, MyPilotStore.com, etc.

upload_2016-12-8_14-22-12.png

We went the last week of March and the first week of April last year. The weather was great but we were the last guests for the summer at the resort we stayed at on Cat Island. Several of the smaller places on the out islands that we stopped at said they shut down for the summer around then.

It doesn't look like the temperatures change all that much but they said business slows down so much once it warms up in the US that it doesn't make sense to stay open and they can get hit by a hurricane any time between the end of May and early October.

Get the Bahamas tourist info pointed out earlier and contact the resorts you're thinking of staying at early to get details. It's worth the effort.

Gary

Watch SteveO's videos where he flies the caravan. He speaks of where to go and where to not go because of tourist traps and expense.

I just got back from MYGF (Freeport). The airport was MUCH less busy than I had expected for a holiday week but the island is in the process of recovering from Hurricane Matthew.

Last edited:
More thunderstorms in the spring and summer, make sure you have good weather source for Bahamas.

More thunderstorms in the spring and summer, make sure you have good weather source for Bahamas.
Hmmm, you make a good point. Is it true that ADS-B will not provide WX in the Bahamas because FIS-B WX is provided from ground-based transmitters? So, having and activating an XM puck would be a good idea?

Hmmm, you make a good point. Is it true that ADS-B will not provide WX in the Bahamas because FIS-B WX is provided from ground-based transmitters? So, having and activating an XM puck would be a good idea?

I doubt XM gives any weather in the Bahamas. I don't know that they even have weather radars there.

It's kind of a no-man's land once you get past Freeport. Satellite pics can be of some value. Also, on a bad weather day there is a lot of wx chatter on the CTAF's for popular outer airports.

Best you can do is Cuban wx radar. Being formally disconnected from the US for so long, doesn't seem like XM has feed access to them, but their radars appear to cover anything eleuthra and south all the way to inagua. Doesn't help you inflight of course. Hispañola is the true no man's land, I'm surprised the Dominican republic is that behind Cuba in this regard. Haiti is a given.

Here's the link to Cuba, select mosaic for the entire coverage

We went the last week of March and the first week of April last year. The weather was great but we were the last guests for the summer at the resort we stayed at on Cat Island. Several of the smaller places on the out islands that we stopped at said they shut down for the summer around then.

Almost nowhere shuts down on the islands until at least early to mid August, and most not until late Aug through late Oct. Sure, hurricane season is technically from Jun-Nov, but large scale organized storms are very rarely an issue down there until mid Aug or later.

It doesn't look like the temperatures change all that much but they said business slows down so much once it warms up in the US that it doesn't make sense to stay open and they can get hit by a hurricane any time between the end of May and early October.

Sure, they might not change much on paper, but in the winter and early spring, you get a lot of cold fronts with a strong W and NW wind, which make things feel colder than they should. Its not just the flying weather or what is comfortable for eating dinner outside, but for many of us, we want great weather for boating as well. Summer is hands down the best time of year for that.

Not to mention, as I alluded to earlier, I want as much daylight every evening as I can possibly squeeze. In Dec it'll be dark by 5:45, but in Jun-Jul it won't be dark until almost 8:15. 2 and 1/2 hours of extra daylight each evening is reason enough to not go in the winter, even though its cold back at home.

(Latest sunset at 23 deg latitude is actually 2nd week of July, not the summer solstice)

Heck.......I fret over just a 15 minute earlier sunset, flying from Exuma to Mayaguana!

The convective activity in the Bahamas is easy as pie to avoid with nothing more than the Mark II eyeballs! Just see and avoid, and fly around areas where the cumulus tower up and likewise avoid the (very) easily seen rainshafts that are usually isolated.

I

The convective activity in the Bahamas is easy as pie to avoid with nothing more than the Mark II eyeballs! Just see and avoid, and fly around areas where the cumulus tower up and likewise avoid the (very) easily seen rainshafts that are usually isolated.

Whoa. You've got Mark II eyeballs! What was the upgrade, and where did you put the Mark I ones? Jar on the headboard? :)

Back