Best thing you did this summer

I got to see a lot of the country and meet many people again this year working on Malibus. It really is fun no matter how much I complain about the airlines.

Started my lifelong dream of becoming a pilot!!!

Got married in Napa. Even got to rent an airplane while I was out there!

You make it sound like renting the airplane was more exciting than getting married. :rofl:

Anyway, cheers to you!

Bill.. Just made it even more awesome! I figured if I got up and somehow the plane headed back East (home) it was a sign.. But all was good! Even had a view of a wild fire during our ceremony! Wild!

Azure, what is your research grant topic?
Funny you should ask! It's nothing terribly ambitious, just a starter project in... wait for it... astrophotography. Specifically, photometry of a young star with a debris disk, mainly to determine if it is variable.

Best thing I did this summer was when I lifted a car off a small child who had caught on fire only to learn that he had been a kidnapping victim years before. Took him to the hospital and in a twist of irony, the admitting nurse just happened to be his mother who hadn't seen him in 6 years. She didn't recognize him at first but the flames had burned part of his clothing revealing a unique birthmark on his left shoulder. It was a very unique birthmark shaped like child actor Jay North who played Dennis the Menace in the original series.

She saw the mark and new instantly this was her son. I recall it looked like they locked eyes for the first time in 6 years in some sort of beautiful reunion but it turns out the kid had actually died from his injuries and so his eyes were wide open.

It was real awkward for mom but the rest of us had a good laugh.

Went to Washington D.C. for the first time. Spent a few days going through Smithsonian museums, most notably the air and space museum. Took in all the history I could in the D.C. area. Also visited Mt. Vernon, Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown, among others. Traveled to 11 states, 5 of which I hadn't been to previously.

Spent the last few days on Lake Eufaula with my parents, my siblings, all my nieces and nephews, and my wife and kids. I measure the amount of fun we had by the amount of pain in my body when it's all over. We had an incredible amount of fun. I could barely move yesterday.

Despite a ridiculously busy spring at work, I've been able to spend a lot of time with my wife and boys (3 y/o and 21 mo.) playing, swimming, boating, traveling, flying, and just having a good time with each other. There is no time better spent than that time spent enjoying my family.

Put some hours on my new to me 182, and got to let my boys experience flying for the first time. Got through my first annual (owner assisted) without breaking the bank.

Did some volunteer work for the local school. Always rewarding.

Got my wife pregnant. If she asks, this was definately the best thing I did this summer ;)

Pretty good summer so far!

Last edited:
Best thing I did this summer was when I lifted a car off a small child who had caught on fire only to learn that he had been a kidnapping victim years before. Took him to the hospital and in a twist of irony, the admitting nurse just happened to be his mother who hadn't seen him in 6 years. She didn't recognize him at first but the flames had burned part of his clothing revealing a unique birthmark on his left shoulder. It was a very unique birthmark shaped like child actor Jay North who played Dennis the Menace in the original series.

She saw the mark and new instantly this was her son. I recall it looked like they locked eyes for the first time in 6 years in some sort of beautiful reunion but it turns out the kid had actually died from his injuries and so his eyes were wide open.

It was real awkward for mom but the rest of us had a good laugh.

Did you also name a salmon "Flint" ?

Back