Best test prep software IR written exam?

How does Sheppard compare to Dauntless and ASA for test prep for the IR?

THe interface is worse, but the method and questions are much better.

Check out their refund policy if you score < 90%

Thanks Sam, so you would recommend Sheppard over the other test prep software for the IR written exam?

I was getting stuck on the ADF relative bearing questions until I memorized the formulas and filled in the numbers...then it was simple for me.

MB(to) = RB + MH
RB(to) = MB - MH

I was bummed because I kinda liked doing those big long calculations using the E6B and the one I got on the test was very simple :dunno:

Rubber Boots + Muddy Hole = Muddy Boots

If you have Muddy Boots, subtract the Muddy Hole and you have Rubber Boots.

That's how I was taught in ground school and will always remember that.

And you're dead on that the IFR Written ADF questions are a bit anti-climactic to the ones we encountered on the private.

Thanks Sam, so you would recommend Sheppard over the other test prep software for the IR written exam?

The Sheppard's interface is very bare bones, but it doesn't need to be any fancier. By keeping it simple, they can focus on keeping the price reasonable and continue to maintain a high level of customer service.

I highly recommend the product for passing the IFR Written test.

I will use Sheppard and the other test prep for the IR. I learned for ADF:

My Honda Runs Better than your Mercedes Benz
MH+RB=MB

But the easier way is to simply overlay the ADF on a HI/DG to get the bearings and details instead of mental math in the cockpit. Who wants to be doing complex math in your head while bouncing around turbulence in clouds IMC? Not me!

But the easier way is to simply overlay the ADF on a HI/DG to get the bearings and details instead of mental math in the cockpit. Who wants to be doing complex math in your head while bouncing around turbulence in clouds IMC? Not me!
Good for you! The "formula" shouldn't be viewed as a math problem, it's a visualization, as you say, expressed as a formula.

dtuuri

Thanks I like practical common sense methods to solving real problems. Much of the knowledge test for IR like PPL is minutia that is not applicable to real flying.

You plan on using an ADF?

Used SheppardAir when I was about to take my IR ground test. Made my life easy got a 98! Give it a try you wont regret it.

I'm using Shepard to hopefully score well and pass it in 1-2 weeks. Then I can focus on the fun part of the IR flying!

Solid choice. I used it for the ATP. I only wish I had discovered it sooner!

Glad to see you went with shepard. I studied for 3 nights and then one full day. 98. You will do fine. The adf was my weak link at first but it became pretty easy after shepard.

We have 200 foot ceiling right now. Had i not had my son tonight i'd be on my way to do some approaches. Oh well.

Study hard and get it done!

Do I need a sign off in my log book from and instructor for ground school to take the IFR written? Or can I knock the IFR study and test on my own then find an IFR instructor?

King: Uses Flash to drive the interface, so Safari and Chrome browsers on iPad won't work work for their online product. You'll need to use the Photon Browser.
?

Not true...old info. King now has mobile apps. They are stellar...allowing complete downloads AND you and practice your questions and answers, and your scores upload to the main site. This combo ROCKS!

The other difference between King online vs dvd is with online, you can access it anywhere you have a net connection.

It was nice to sit at my local sandwich shops with the iPad and headphones, and learn IFR knowledge whilst satisfying my gastronomic needs.

Keep in mind you can now use King ANYWHERE with or without connections using mobile apps!

Go to www.asa2fly.com. On the home page, under Resources, click on Updates.
Jackie Spanitz has just returned from a meeting with the test writers and has the latest scoop. (Have to mention that the Kings, Gleim, et al were also at the meeting.)

Bob Gardner

That page says that ADF will no longer be on the private pilot exam. Am I misreading that? That's cool if true

Do I need a sign off in my log book from and instructor for ground school to take the IFR written? Or can I knock the IFR study and test on my own then find an IFR instructor?

You need an instructor sign off to take the test. You can self study but you still need an instructor to sign you off saying you are prepared to take it. I used sheppardair and they provided me with the sign off as well once I was scoring in the 90's on practice test.

You need an instructor sign off to take the test. You can self study but you still need an instructor to sign you off saying you are prepared to take it. I used sheppardair and they provided me with the sign off as well once I was scoring in the 90's on practice test.

So taking gleim, King, sheppardair type of study, they (gleim, king, shepparair) would provide the endorsement?

So taking gleim, King, sheppardair type of study, they (gleim, king, shepparair) would provide the endorsement?

Sheppardair will. I don't think the others will. Sheppardair works and is my recommendation. But it is strictly to pass the written, but follow Thier plan and you can pass it in a few days.

That page says that ADF will no longer be on the private pilot exam. Am I misreading that? That's cool if true

I took the IFR written yesterday.

Not a single ADF or NDB approach question came up.

Back