Best techniques for spot landings?

Well of course I wouldn't go to Oshkosh solo!

:dunno:

Did I say that? No I did not.

It will either be with a CFI or a flying buddy depending on whether I have my PPL or not. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't have it by then. Three months to go and I'm flying every day now. Having this as a goal is good motivation to get finished.

My biggest issue is floating so using a short field technique seems to be the best strategy for me.

My CFI is expired, but if you can make it to the GA mountains, I'd be happy to ride along on some practice sessions and give advice.

I'll even chip in on the flour!

In the NOTAM for airventure is there anything that prevents student pilots from soloing to OSH?

10330457_455017661298023_322985383397428179_n.jpg

Well of course I wouldn't go to Oshkosh solo!

:dunno:

Did I say that? No I did not.

It will either be with a CFI or a flying buddy depending on whether I have my PPL or not. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't have it by then. Three months to go and I'm flying every day now. Having this as a goal is good motivation to get finished.

My biggest issue is floating so using a short field technique seems to be the best strategy for me.

If you are floating you are too fast. You should be no more than 1.3 VSO on final. Ask your CFI to demonstrate hitting a designated spot. He probably can't do it so how is he going to teach you how to. If he can't touch down within 50' of the spot 3 landings in a row get a different instructor. Don

The Oshkosh arrival is not black magic. My first arrival at Osh was in 1994 as a 100 hour pilot with a non-pilot in the right seat watching for traffic and digging necessary info out of the NOTAM. It was interesting, but not difficult.

Follow the NOTAM procedure, find someone to follow, follow at a reasonable distance, listen and don't talk on the radio. If you get into an uncomfortable situation, leave the line, return to Ripon and start over.

Oshkosh does not require spot landings. If you can pick a spot and put the aircraft down within 200' of it, you'll be fine. If you can't achieve that, work with your CFI to improve your skills. An internet forum isn't the place to learn flying technique.

I want to go to Osh this year. Never been.

There are a bunch of utube videos for the arrival. It doesn't appear that hard.

Study NOTAMS. Fall in at Ripon after acknowledged with a wing-wag, follow the train tracks with 1/2 mile spacing, then follow directions. Easy peasy.

Oh - and practice your wing wag! Not only is it fun, but, for a new Oshkosh pilot it's a fairly unfamiliar maneuver.

My first wag barely rocked the plane! At least in a 172, it's a maneuver that rewards gusto!

Back