Best Tampa area GA airport?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Looking to visit family in the Tampa area and hoping some of you can give me recommendations on the best airport with easiest access in and out.

Looking at VDF or X39. Anybody have experience with either?

Will be flying a 206 if that makes any difference. Planning for VFR but will go IFR if needed.

Thanks.

2 years since I have been there, but VDF is very easy in/out. Pretty sure I had Uber come get me at the airport.

2 years since I have been there, but VDF is very easy in/out. Pretty sure I had Uber come get me at the airport.
Ground transportation won't be an issue. Appreciate the info!

Tampa exec has more amenities but might have a ramp fee where I don't believe Tampa north does. No ils approach at Tampa north either. They are very close to each other, and both close to the interstate.

Kzph is nice too, and plant city is pretty close to Tampa exec, but both are further from downtown tampa.

What part of Tampa? How long will you be there?

We flew into TPA a couple of years ago, but that was to go to bowl game at the Buccaneers stadium right next to TPA. Plus we flew in before the game and back home right after.

Different smaller airports may be better based on where in Tampa and how long you'll be there.

X39 is a freindly GA airport. Right off the Highway,good restaurant on field.

What part of Tampa? How long will you be there?

We flew into TPA a couple of years ago, but that was to go to bowl game at the Buccaneers stadium right next to TPA. Plus we flew in before the game and back home right after.

Different smaller airports may be better based on where in Tampa and how long you'll be there.
We'll be in Lutz for a few days. Both VDF and X39 are relatively equally located. Thinking the plan will be to use X39 and have VDF as an alternate. Will give both a call and see what their fee's are. Not really wanting to get hit with a big charge upon landing, so I'm thinking X39 will be the choice, smaller too.

Thinking one or the other will offer first night free w/ fuel purchase.

Thanks all!

I fly out of Tampa. Far and away the best small airport in the area is KTPF. It's well located, right off of downtown Tampa, on Davis Islands. It's also very scenic as it's surrounded by water on three sides.

I fly out of Tampa. Far and away the best small airport in the area is KTPF. It's well located, right off of downtown Tampa, on Davis Islands. It's also very scenic as it's surrounded by water on three sides.
TPF is too far south from Lutz and I rather stay north of the Bravo environment.

X39 actually has a Lutz address. It will be the closest for you by far. The only problem would be if you wanted to hangar your aircraft as the only hangars on the field are of the condominium variety.

Back