Best taildragger for training

I was planning on making a very similar thread, so just going to bring this one back from the dead instead. Anyone over the last 4 years developed some new input? I am close to finishing up my PPL and am looking at a taildragger to build time. I know of numerous banner ops either local to me or in an area where I can stay with friends/family for the season to build time once I get my CPL so that's my reason for one rather than a 150/152 or PA-28. Our on field mechanic focuses on vintage aircraft so I will probably just put in a word with him and jump on a good deal that he recommends, but I would love to hear peoples input.

On a side note as well, I will need to get my IR. Not many cheap taildraggers have IR platforms, but I have access to a IFR C172 @ $110/hr wet. Would most likely sell the taildragger once I build significant time, then begin the IR.

Last edited:
I was planning on making a very similar thread, so just going to bring this one back from the dead instead. Anyone over the last 4 years developed some new input? I am close to finishing up my PPL and am looking at a taildragger to build time. I know of numerous banner ops either local to me or in an area where I can stay with friends/family for the season to build time once I get my CPL so that's my reason for one rather than a 150/152 or PA-28. Our on field mechanic focuses on vintage aircraft so I will probably just put in a word with him and jump on a good deal that he recommends, but I would love to hear peoples input.

On a side note as well, I will need to get my IR. Not many cheap taildraggers have IR platforms, but I have access to a IFR C172 @ $110/hr wet. Would most likely sell the taildragger once I build significant time, then begin the IR.

As far as I know, most of the banner tow places don't require much in the way of tailwheel experience beyond having the endorsement. I'm not writing this trying to discourage you from getting a tailwheel airplane and the experience but if you're solely doing it with the hope of towing banners I'd probably just skip it.

Personally, I'd probably look at Cessna 150s or 152s that have decent radios and are well cared for. That would allow you to build time and earn an instrument rating. You may even be able to do the SE commercial training and checkride in it too. But, you can find some Citabrias and Super Cubs with enough equipment in them to do instrument work, if you really want to stay in a tailwheel airplane.

Back