Best sun protection for aircraft (tiedown instead of hangar)

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
Unfortunately, I might need to resort to a tie down instead of a hangar, just due to my budget. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Anyways, what is the best way to protect your aircraft from the sun, as far as the exterior paint. I was planning on investing in the Kennon sunshades for my Cherokee 180, but do you guys suggest of anything else?

I am in southern California, so I don't really need to worry about horrible weather, just worried about the sun, and more or less the Santa Ana winds when they start rolling in October.

Let me know what you guys think

I cover my plane with ,canvas covers from the tail to the prop. The only part uncovered are the wings. Have Bruce's custom covers. Easy to use and protect the aircraft,from sun and wind. My aircraft is mostly composite.

We have a canvas cover for our plane that goes on when we travel to protect the glass and the interior. If I had a plane stored outside that's what I would use. Not the sunshades that go inside, but an exterior cover.

I think its easier to remove than 6+ individual sun shades.

A cover, for sure.

Yes, it is more expensive and a pain to install but gives you actual protection instead of the reflective window shades. They only take the IR, UV and light that had already passed through the window and push it back through the other way, thus reducing the lifespan of the plastic windows.

a wash job with waxing every couple months, with paint touch ups as required. Covers are great too, be certain they have UV protection built in, and fit properly, a flapping cover will destroy plastic and paint.

Covers work fine in calm conditions or light breezes. Whether you're protecting from UV or ice they have a place but when the wind starts you'll want to take them off.

A good waterproof cover as others already said. I know in Southern CA there aren't much rain but even a little rain can go inside from the holes around windows and cause tubular corrosion.

So it seems like everyone votes for covers over sunshades!!

Now the question is: Bruce's or Kennon???

Try Plane Covers in Maryland, too. In my experience, they fit better than Bruce's, and conform to the fuselage shape. Mine is held on by three wide straps that clip together, with extra padding for the windows and behind the clips. Bruce's seem to snap on, which is a pain to install and remove every time, plus the snaps must be screwed to your plane.

Let me look for their website.

Are you going to tie down at KVNY? Whiteman has hangars for $360/month.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Called WHP. No availability. Also, this new prop park at VNY is pretty awesome. It is a little bit long of a taxi, but super convenient for me. Also, they are planning on self serve fuel. This will compete with WHP, CMA, EMT.

Unfortunately, I might need to resort to a tie down instead of a hangar, just due to my budget. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Anyways, what is the best way to protect your aircraft from the sun, as far as the exterior paint. I was planning on investing in the Kennon sunshades for my Cherokee 180, but do you guys suggest of anything else?

I am in southern California, so I don't really need to worry about horrible weather, just worried about the sun, and more or less the Santa Ana winds when they start rolling in October.

Let me know what you guys think

Wondering what hanger costs are in SO CAL? Here Juneau, AK $400.00 a month. Tie down $60.00 every 3 months. Unfortunately I tie down, due to costs. Could buy a "T" hanger for $80,000.00, not going to happen. Weather windy and rainy, I use a cover.

Covers work fine in calm conditions or light breezes. Whether you're protecting from UV or ice they have a place but when the wind starts you'll want to take them off.

Totally correct about the wind, a cover in a windy condition can destroy windows, and painted surfaces very quickly.

Wondering what hanger costs are in SO CAL? Here Juneau, AK $400.00 a month.

Depending on the airport, $400-$500 per month is a good starting point for a hangar in SoCal....IF you can even find one available. Many of the nicer airports have some pretty lengthy waiting lists.

I would go with cover, too. The window covers are great for the interior, but the exterior of the plane still gets exposed to the elements.

Of the big shops these guys have made the best covers I've owned. I prefer a couple of small local shops because they do fit adjustments and repairs but if I was stuck with mail order this is who I'd call.

http://aviationcovers.com

Try Plane Covers in Maryland, too. In my experience, they fit better than Bruce's, and conform to the fuselage shape. Mine is held on by three wide straps that clip together, with extra padding for the windows and behind the clips. Bruce's seem to snap on, which is a pain to install and remove every time, plus the snaps must be screwed to your plane.

Let me look for their website.

I'll second this. I keep my Mooney on a tie down, and ordered a cover from Jim right after I bought it. He did a fantastic job, and was incredible to work with. The cover fits perfectly to the plane and is very tight. You'd need a LOT of wind before it would start flapping at all. I also opted for the "fancy windshield padding" which should help avoid scratches over time. Covering the windows rather than putting shades in will drastically lengthen their life. The other day I rode along in a 172 that only had a cover for the windshield. The front and side windows were fine because of that cover and the shade of the wings. The back windows were so cloudy you could barely see the tail from sitting in the sun.

Here's a picture I took the day I got my cover. Since then the fabric has softened up a bit and it fits even better now with no wrinkles.

Attachments

• 20150228_144957.jpg
    20150228_144957.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Wow.... I'm feeling pretty good bout $195/mo, brand new insulated, electric and bifold door at the push of a button.

I use bruces covers for the entire plane,except the wings when kept outside. Works great for me. Eight months of the year I'm in a hangar in fla.

Wow.... I'm feeling pretty good bout $195/mo, brand new insulated, electric and bifold door at the push of a button.

I pay more than that for my tie down.....but I get to live in San Diego. Fair trade.

I pay more than that for my tie down.....but I get to live in San Diego. Fair trade.
Where are you based? Outdoor tiedowns were $175/ month for a piston single at Gibbs(MYF) when I left a couple years ago.

I used to live in San Diego, Mira Mesa and Oceanside .... I say it's not a fair trade. I'd much rather be here. :yes:

Called WHP. No availability. Also, this new prop park at VNY is pretty awesome. It is a little bit long of a taxi, but super convenient for me. Also, they are planning on self serve fuel. This will compete with WHP, CMA, EMT.

When will they have self serve and how much will it be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you based? Outdoor tiedowns were $175/ month for a piston single at Gibbs(MYF) when I left a couple years ago.

CRQ. I pay $200/month. Gibbs wanted $185, but I'd rather be at Palomar. More convenient both to get to and to fly out of.

CRQ. I pay $200/month. Gibbs wanted $185, but I'd rather be at Palomar. More convenient both to get to and to fly out of.

Ouch. When I first got my 170, Gibbs was $155/month and within two years they had bumped it up to $175...now$185.....that's nuts.

Is Pinnacle Aviation still there, and is Jim still running it? Got my PPl and Inst ratings there.

I can't tell you how many times we landed on 27 and the RWy 9 end was covered in fog. It was just weird.

I have Bruce's covers for my C172. The full set of covers help protect the paint as well as help keep the birds out.

Is Pinnacle Aviation still there, and is Jim still running it? Got my PPl and Inst ratings there.

I can't tell you how many times we landed on 27 and the RWy 9 end was covered in fog. It was just weird.

Pinnacle is still here, but I don't really know anyone there even though I just took my IR written there :yesnod:

If you were landing on 27 you must have been at SEE though, Palomar only has 6/24 :goofy:

I know what you mean though. Flying here you quickly learn that often when it's totally fogged in at the coast you can head inland and approach from the east and still land VFR, even when 3/4 of the field is IFR.

Last edited:
Yea....that's what I meant. I only spent 120 hours taking off nd landing there.....buts it's also been almost 15 years.....wow....I'm getting old.

Back