Best solo glider flight so far...

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
A terrific flying weekend for me in general, but today worked out well with the glider.

CAVU and fairly cool, but the wind was very light, and by the time I got my first tow, the sun was right overhead, creating moderate lift in the usual places. Expecting nothing and feeling what I figured to be minor bumps enhanced by the speed of the tow, I stayed on tow to 3000... good opportunity to box the wake once, my first time doing that alone, and it went pretty well.
After release, I lost almost 500 just turning and scooting over to the brickyard or whatever it is ( I call it the "dirt pile"). Got just downwind of that spot and found myself in a tight thermal that was delivering 600 at one point. Dug in, got to 3000 again, flew out of it or lost it, ran straight for a bit until I felt another tug, then turned the other way towards the nearby warehouse complex, and got another ride to 3500.

A few people waiting for the 2-33 today, so I started thinking I was being hoggish with the glider (and the midday lift!), so I got out of that and headed towards the field, in more or less zero sink for a mile or so... then I caught another good one very close to the airport at about 2000, and after checking the time, decided I could milk that for a while. Got back to 3000, and it sort of petered out there... so I just had some fun to lose the altitude again: a dive to about 80mph with a pullup and sort of half-wingover just for the heck of it, and another dive to pull up into a full stall just because it's always a good idea to practice stall recovery. And, it's... um... fun. :wink2:
Getting near an hour, so I started working my way down and towards the field. Of course, I had another strong thermal tug one wing as I prepared to hit the crosswind leg... oh well. Good pattern and landing.

Anyway, that won't impress the experienced glider pilots here, but that was a big deal for me- almost an hour aloft by myself, and some respectable thermaling. And I felt pretty consistently PIC-ish up there today, in every phase of the flight. Last few flights, I was disappointed in my ability to find and work lift.

Made another hop later, from 2500 this time... things were shutting down, so it was basically a sleigh ride. Even Andy, who'd been up for some time in the 1-26, had given up and come back just as I was launching.

But still fun- awesome vis today, and the sun was not too brutal due to the lowish ambient temps. I cracked the canopy for a moment at one point, for a good lungful of that crisp almost-autumn air.
Got a hair low entering the pattern, but it was zero-sink over the field, so the rest worked out fine, with an easy landing in a faint breeze right down the runway.

That was my 8th solo flight- should rack up the next two next Sunday, and maybe I'll be able to do the check ride this season. :fcross:

sounds like you are ready for Silver distance, duration, and altitude to me. But what do I know?

excellent sean! that first 1 hour flight is great! is your club doing the ABC badge stuff? you're qualified for A & B now.

Nice! An hour in a 2-33 is an achievement.

Now you need to peruse the wings and wheels classifieds for your own glider for next year :D

Now you need to peruse the wings and wheels classifieds every dayfor a glider or a better glider, or a second glider, or to upgrade the second glider to a better glider... :D
Fixed it for ya:)

Easy to do silver duration and altitude in the 2-33 yet this season.

I've seen others do better, but I was proud I could do that on a cloudless day... but maybe the lack of telltales aloft made it easier for me to visualize the lift; sometimes I get hung up on the clouds and don't focus enough on where they are spawning.

Now you need to peruse the wings and wheels classifieds for your own glider for next year :D

Mmmmmaybe... but probably, next year I'll be flying the club's 1-26, mostly. It doesn't get enough exercise. And we have a trailer for it. :D

And I think it would do me good to build up my skillset in a 1-26 before I look for anything better (not that I could necessarily afford anything better).

But next year I do want to at least try something slicker... might even be willing to do some traveling to real soaring "hot spot" to see how the "other half" does it.

Last edited:
Easy to do silver duration and altitude in the 2-33 yet this season.
Ha- we'll see. I know it can be done, but I may be too green, yet.
The other problem is that the 2-33 is usually pretty busy... keeping it up for 5 hrs would be kinda rude (we usually limit ourselves to about 1 hr if others are waiting, and we have myself and three others practicing for ratings, who usually all show up when there's a tow pilot and instructor available). And with the days getting shorter.... so maybe.

But maybe in the 1-26... I should probably try that out this year anyway; in the cooler weather now,it should be easier to get a feel for launching and flying it on tow (I've been warned the pitch response takes some getting used to after flying the 2-33).

excellent sean! that first 1 hour flight is great!
It was awesome... I thought that 1.5-hr flight on my second dual hop was cool... this was the most fun I've had in the 2-33 so far. Gaining altitude is addictive, like a gambler's rush... you throw in your last chip, and boom! You're rich again. Heady stuff.
Pretty happy with my box, too... doing that solo for the first time was a little intimidating. Until I just went and did it, LOL.

is your club doing the ABC badge stuff? you're qualified for A & B now.
I keep forgetting to ask about that- I may end up taking care of that stuff myself.

well the instructor needs to be registered with the SSA for you to get the badge. which reminds me i need to send in the paperwork...

A terrific flying weekend for me in general, but today worked out well with the glider.

CAVU and fairly cool, but the wind was very light, and by the time I got my first tow, the sun was right overhead, creating moderate lift in the usual places. Expecting nothing and feeling what I figured to be minor bumps enhanced by the speed of the tow, I stayed on tow to 3000... good opportunity to box the wake once, my first time doing that alone, and it went pretty well.
After release, I lost almost 500 just turning and scooting over to the brickyard or whatever it is ( I call it the "dirt pile"). Got just downwind of that spot and found myself in a tight thermal that was delivering 600 at one point. Dug in, got to 3000 again, flew out of it or lost it, ran straight for a bit until I felt another tug, then turned the other way towards the nearby warehouse complex, and got another ride to 3500.

A few people waiting for the 2-33 today, so I started thinking I was being hoggish with the glider (and the midday lift!), so I got out of that and headed towards the field, in more or less zero sink for a mile or so... then I caught another good one very close to the airport at about 2000, and after checking the time, decided I could milk that for a while. Got back to 3000, and it sort of petered out there... so I just had some fun to lose the altitude again: a dive to about 80mph with a pullup and sort of half-wingover just for the heck of it, and another dive to pull up into a full stall just because it's always a good idea to practice stall recovery. And, it's... um... fun. :wink2:
Getting near an hour, so I started working my way down and towards the field. Of course, I had another strong thermal tug one wing as I prepared to hit the crosswind leg... oh well. Good pattern and landing.

Anyway, that won't impress the experienced glider pilots here, but that was a big deal for me- almost an hour aloft by myself, and some respectable thermaling. And I felt pretty consistently PIC-ish up there today, in every phase of the flight. Last few flights, I was disappointed in my ability to find and work lift.

Made another hop later, from 2500 this time... things were shutting down, so it was basically a sleigh ride. Even Andy, who'd been up for some time in the 1-26, had given up and come back just as I was launching.

But still fun- awesome vis today, and the sun was not too brutal due to the lowish ambient temps. I cracked the canopy for a moment at one point, for a good lungful of that crisp almost-autumn air.
Got a hair low entering the pattern, but it was zero-sink over the field, so the rest worked out fine, with an easy landing in a faint breeze right down the runway.

That was my 8th solo flight- should rack up the next two next Sunday, and maybe I'll be able to do the check ride this season. :fcross:

An hour aloft... isn't that a "B" Badge?

2-33 availability IS an issue. Try going out during the week when no one else wants it.

1-26 is a great ship and not hard to fly. Yes, more sensitive in pitch than the 33 but also much easier to fly. Make sure you get real spin recovery training before taking it up. Maybe you've already done that. The 26 spins like a top (and recovers normally) but 33s are known for NOT spinning primarily due to CG. They will spin fine if the CG is back. 2 heavy guys and they wont spin at all.

Good on you for boxing the wake solo. Do it on every tow till you can do it in your sleep. Nothing else to do so why not?

Going to fly gliders somewhere else is a GREAT idea. Flying at another site and especially flying other types will progress your skills and confidence exponentially. You have POA connections at Ames, Marfa, Hartford WI, others...

Ha- we'll see. I know it can be done, but I may be too green, yet.
The other problem is that the 2-33 is usually pretty busy... keeping it up for 5 hrs would be kinda rude (we usually limit ourselves to about 1 hr if others are waiting, and we have myself and three others practicing for ratings, who usually all show up when there's a tow pilot and instructor available). And with the days getting shorter.... so maybe.

But maybe in the 1-26... I should probably try that out this year anyway; in the cooler weather now,it should be easier to get a feel for launching and flying it on tow (I've been warned the pitch response takes some getting used to after flying the 2-33).

An hour aloft... isn't that a "B" Badge?
For the B, you need to stay aloft 30 minutes off a 2000-foot-max tow, "or add 1½ minutes per 100 foot tow altitude above 2,000 feet", so I guess it counts for that flight (which was from a 3000-foot tow).

Mind you, the hour that time included the tow... but figuring 1.5 minutes times ten (15) added to the 30 minutes, I think just I about made it.

All our members, including the instructor, are SSA members (required for the insurance policy), so I guess I can apply for the badges or whatever one does.

2-33 availability IS an issue. Try going out during the week when no one else wants it.

1-26 is a great ship and not hard to fly. Yes, more sensitive in pitch than the 33 but also much easier to fly. Make sure you get real spin recovery training before taking it up. Maybe you've already done that. The 26 spins like a top (and recovers normally) but 33s are known for NOT spinning primarily due to CG. They will spin fine if the CG is back. 2 heavy guys and they wont spin at all.

Only done one spin so far, about one good turn in the 2-33 on a dual flight. Not a whole lot different than recovery in a light single, but you gotta watch the airspeed pulling out. But maybe I should try one solo in the 2-33... I practice stalls every flight, and sometimes do "R&R" in turns to keep an awareness of that factor, so I think I would be OK with it, assuming I can actually get it to spin, LOL. Gotta clear it with "the boss" first, though, and he'll probably want to do another one with me first.

Good on you for boxing the wake solo. Do it on every tow till you can do it in your sleep. Nothing else to do so why not?
Yes, that's my plan... unless things are popping so much that I want to get off at 1500, I'll probably start going to 2500, and boxing from 1500 or so. It really helps you keep things sharp on tow... it can get rough sometimes on tow behind a Citabria, 'cuz you're exposed to the low-level stuff for quite a while.

Going to fly gliders somewhere else is a GREAT idea. Flying at another site and especially flying other types will progress your skills and confidence exponentially. You have POA connections at Ames, Marfa, Hartford WI, others...
That's pretty much what I was thinking of... not traveling for work anymore, really, but I could see making a roadtrip to the Midwest to do some soaring. Meanwhile, there's decent ridge soaring available not far west of here, and of course there's Elmira.

For the B, you need to stay aloft 30 minutes off a 2000-foot-max tow, "or add 1½ minutes per 100 foot tow altitude above 2,000 feet", so I guess it counts for that flight (which was from a 3000-foot tow).

Mind you, the hour that time included the tow... but figuring 1.5 minutes times ten (15) added to the 30 minutes, I think just I about made it.

All our members, including the instructor, are SSA members (required for the insurance policy), so I guess I can apply for the badges or whatever one does.

Sounds GREAT !!
But.. even though the instructors and everyone are members of SSA.

The Instructors need to apply to SSA to register as an SSA-Instructor. Then they will be issued Badge supplies, rule books, Endorsement samples and a few other things.

Thanks Pete I was actually just curious where he went. I'd like to fly gliders but now am just getting enough $$ to do powered flight. Gliders will likely be my next rating the Philadelphia Glider Council is not that far from me.

http://www.pgcsoaring.org/index.php

Wow that's a nice club 4 Grob 103s 2 102s, and an ASW-19. Also $5 winch launches are a sweet deal.

Back