Best season to cross the Rockies

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
Starting in a few years, I'd like to do an annual trip from North Arkansas to Ogden or Logan Utah, and it looks like the best way would be to follow I-80. This would be a VFR flight in a slow plane with a 12,000 ceiling. I'd have no problem crossing the mountains in two days, with a couple of hours each morning to take advantage of calm winds. Or one day if weather permits. What time of year would I have the best chance of finding good VFR weather and light winds?

What time of year would I have the best chance of finding good VFR weather and light winds?
If you're looking for best chance I would say summer, in the mornings. That's not to say that it can't be done at other times of the year but summer is generally less windy.

I had good luck the first week in October for calm winds and clear skies.

I've made the trip from Mpls to SLC several dozen times with a few in every season, and frankly I haven't seen much correlation between the time of year and the winds/clouds save for mid to late winter when the clouds are more prevalent. If you follow I-80 most of the way (SNY/MBW->V6) the terrain is the most "unmountainlike" mountainous area across the Great Divide. From the eastern foothills to just east of Ogden the elevations are in the 6000-8000 MSL range with mostly wide open mesas. And the lack of terrain generally means there won't be big changes in the weather every 20-50 nm like you can get in the rougher places. IOW, as long as your schedule is flexible I think you could make this trip VFR in a light plane almost any time of the year.

That said, late fall / early winter as well as late spring can mean high winds which will both slow you down considerably and bounce you around quite a bit so if you went then, you'd want to pick a time when the wind forecast was fairly benign.

One final tip, if it is windy you want to stay on the downwind side of any valley or canyon for two reasons. One is that you will likely encounter rising air there which makes you go faster (your plane is essentially flying downhill). The other is that if you do need to turn around you will make your turn into the wind which shortens the radius considerably (if a famous baseball player knew this, he'd still be alive).

BTW I-80 swings well to the south just before you get to the one and only rather tall ridgeline on the east side of the valley which contains SLC and OGD. You could go that way and stay pretty low, but you shouldn't have any trouble following V6 most of the way and sneaking through the canyon that runs east from a few miles south of the Ogden airport. Or you could follow I80 to where I84 splits off and follow that into Ogden. Keep in mind that when following canyons and freeways you will occasionally turn a corner and find your way blocked by low clouds even when you were in CAVU just before the turn. Also you will find that the way looks like a dead end when the road you are following snakes through a pass because you can't "see around the corner".

Last edited:
BTW I-80 swings well to the south just before you get to the one and only rather tall ridgeline on the east side of the valley which contains SLC and OGD. You could go that way and stay pretty low, but you shouldn't have any trouble following V6 most of the way and sneaking through the canyon that runs east from a few miles south of the Ogden airport. Or you could follow I80 to where I84 splits off and follow that into Ogden. Keep in mind that when following canyons and freeways you will occasionally turn a corner and find your way blocked by low clouds even when you were in CAVU just before the turn. Also you will find that the way looks like a dead end when the road you are following snakes through a pass because you can't "see around the corner".

And to add there is always Rock Springs -D-> Heber City Ut. -D-> Spanish Fork Ut. then turn north up the SLT north south flyway to Ogden.

The pictures are of the canyon between Heber City and Spanish Fork. notice it is a nice clear day? don't skud run when there are rocks in the clouds,,

Attachments

• Texas Trip 99 035.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 035.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Texas Trip 99 036.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 036.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Texas Trip 99 034.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 034.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Texas Trip 99 037.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 037.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I lived in Ogden (stationed at Hill AFB) for nine years and the wind would howl through Weber Canyon (I-84) with regularity. If going to Ogden, I'd consider going north just east of the Wasach Front and then go up to Ogden Canyon then across, or even Brigham city, then come back down south to OGD. gotta loose 5k' of altitude anyway. If going to Logan, I'd probably leave I-80 before the 80/84 split and nick the south end of Bear Lake, then take Highway 30 through Sardine Canyon and into LGU.

Thanks all

Right now... :D There's about a two month window from the 1st week of September till about the middle of November. Just about the most benign weather across the Rocky Mountains. Also, the daytime temps are down and DA becomes less of an issue, but the OAT is still warm enough to be comfortable.

Any earlier than that and you will have to deal with afternoon T-storms and service sealing DA's. Any later and you are dealing with winter weather.

Spring is to unpredictable, except the winds aloft are usually howling from the middle of March till May.

Back