best school/CFI in LA area?

studentinCA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
studentinCA
Prefer VNY then CMA, preferably Warrior over 172 (aesthetic and can't afford mach 1 cirrus flying!). Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom, I know this has been tangentially answered in the past, and no need to slam anyone on a public thread

American Aviation has a lot of 172's and a Warrior that's just been refurbished. They do their own maintenance...good shop. Haven't tried Encore, but everyone who do say to avoid it due to misrepresentations on cost of getting a license and maintenance. But again, no direct experience there.

Another even better option: 8 Ball Flying Club (Google it). Planes are nicer and rates are super low...plus you pay Tach, not Hobbs, which helps a lot at Van Nuys since you'll spend a lot of time taxi'ing and waiting for T/O.

Sorry, this is for my PPL. Appreciate the thoughts!

I THINK vista at Whiteman has the lowest cost rentals and instructors in the area if that is a consideration. All 172s and a variety of models and features. The difference in price can be a lot from school to school. Give them all a call and ask questions. It will also give you a good sense of the business. I think I called encore when I started up again in July and they refused to put the guy on the phone who could answer my questions about resuming training. I asked if I could leave my info and if he could call me and they said no he's too busy for that and I should come in to talk to him. I scratched them off the list real quick!

California flight school..is the absolute best. I checked out 5 or six different schools before I went with these guys.
Smaller School, privately owned and run. 172's (one G1000) kept in immaculate condition.

I now rent from Vista over at Whiteman, and while I love the owner (he's been a friend for over 10 years) I chose not to do my lessons or test there.

The quality of the Instructors at California Flight School are the best I came across...

IMHO you cant go wrong..

http://www.californiaflightschool.com/

Tell them the Ferrari mechanic sent you :D

I think I called encore ------ I scratched them off the list real quick!

I had the same reaction to those folks.....Aircraft maint looks a little sketchy as well....pretty shabby airplanes...

Sorry...forgot the link in my last post...

Best deal of all - by far - is 8 Ball Flying Club at KVNY. It's not an FBO, but the club has some of the best instructors in the biz. www.8ballfc.org

Planes are fantastic, and rates due to no FBO mark-up are incredibly low low low. Best of all there are no minimums...take a plane for the day, the weekend, or even on a long vacation with no daily minimum. Planes, all in much better condition than rentals, are:

172 - Great priivate pilot or IFR trainer
2 - 182's...stellar "milleneum" editions
1 - DA40 - Great private pilot trainer
1 - Piper Saratoga (6 passenger)...my favorite

Realize you wanted a Piper for your training. But don't overlook 8 Ball as an option. You won't find lower costs or better planes.

Sorry...forgot the link in my last post...

Best deal of all - by far - is 8 Ball Flying Club at KVNY. It's not an FBO, but the club has some of the best instructors in the biz. www.8ballfc.org

Planes are fantastic, and rates due to no FBO mark-up are incredibly low low low. Best of all there are no minimums...take a plane for the day, the weekend, or even on a long vacation with no daily minimum. Planes, all in much better condition than rentals, are:

172 - Great priivate pilot or IFR trainer
2 - 182's...stellar "milleneum" editions
1 - DA40 - Great private pilot trainer
1 - Piper Saratoga (6 passenger)...my favorite

Realize you wanted a Piper for your training. But don't overlook 8 Ball as an option. You won't find lower costs or better planes.

8 Ball is great for all the reasons you mention.....its just very tough to get into the club (ie no one leaves so no space) One of my good friends is a member and he loves it...Their planes are always need and tidy as I taxi past :wink2:

Back