Best real news story of the day (no April fools)

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Va. man files $1M suit against PetSmart after slipping in poop

A Poquoson, Va., man who says he fell after stepping in dog feces at a PetSmart store has filed a $1 million negligence lawsuit against the company.

Robert Holloway alleges in his lawsuit in U.S. District Court that he badly injured his back, struck his head and knocked out four teeth when he slipped in January 2009 at a Newport News PetSmart.

He alleges that PetSmart and its manager should have protected him from a hazardous condition created when they allowed animals to defecate on the floor.

In court documents, Phoenix-based PetSmart denied the negligence allegations.

-- The Virginian-Pilot

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cr...an-files-1m-suit-against-p.html?hpid=newswell

WTF! Can't he watch where he is going? One of the things I like best about going to PetSmart is that people bring their animals in. America is so tight butted when it comes to animals in public places.......

I love being able to sit at a bar in Europe and have people bring their dogs in. Can't do that in the 'land of the free' :(

Even if it doesn't get traction, it gives other people ideas for stupid lawsuits, and costs PetSmart money because they have to send their lawyers to court to defend it.

I like the idea of making the loser pay for legal fees of both sides...

Even when it the guy who lost his case against the Westboro Baptist Church? He was ordered to pay their costs for them protesting at his son's funeral.

Bill O'rielly offered to pay the outstanding 16K and named the three circuit judges on his show.

FWIW, Baptists should sue these loons as well -- they're as "baptist" as a bag of doritos.

Even when it the guy who lost his case against the Westboro Baptist Church? He was ordered to pay their costs for them protesting at his son's funeral.

I realize that it certainly has its downsides like any rule, but you can bet that the cost of aviation would go down if insurance was lower for the manufacturers. Every time Dan sues Lycoming because his O-145 doesn't have fuel injection and got carb ice so he crashed, the price goes up (not that Dan has done so, just the example frivolous lawsuit).

You can't fix it with a "Frivilous lawsuit" rule, either, because then what defines that? It becomes very subjective.

WTF! Can't he watch where he is going? One of the things I like best about going to PetSmart is that people bring their animals in. America is so tight butted when it comes to animals in public places.......

I love being able to sit at a bar in Europe and have people bring their dogs in. Can't do that in the 'land of the free' :(

Come out to Colorado and visit Breckenridge. Other than the restaurants (which have outdoor seating for patrons who insist on traveling with their 2-footed humanoids) dogs are welcome everywhere except in those few stores with No Pets signs (the jewelry store is the only one that I remember). And definitely visit the Barkery.

You can't fix it with a "Frivilous lawsuit" rule, either, because then what defines that? It becomes very subjective.
That is the problem. Loser pays also works towards the interests of that party that has the most money. So big, cash laden groups could produce a bunch of crap and the little guy who gets hurt, could never afford to take the risk of the lawsuit. The big cash laden group then always winds by default.

That is the problem. Loser pays also works towards the interests of that party that has the most money. So big, cash laden groups could produce a bunch of crap and the little guy who gets hurt, could never afford to take the risk of the lawsuit. The big cash laden group then always winds by default.

Right, but this also assumes that the big cash laden group is necessarily wrong. A bunch of little lawsuits can currently make it difficult for manufacturers (viewed as cash laden groups) to keep operating when they have such high legal fees. Seriously, you'd be surprised to see how much of your aircraft parts are actually the part itself and how much is legal fees, recouping certification costs, etc. The legal fees make up a large part of it.

As it stands, we have a lot of frivilous lawsuits. I'm not sure how you're going to lower them without discouraging the populus from filing them in the first place.

ScottM said:

You can in this particular land of the free, up here. Or people do, anyway.

Oh, man, I should have waited.

This may be an even better news story!

Burst Manure Bubbles Cause Big Stink, but No Explosions

Several giant bubbles on a dairy farm manure lagoon were popped Thursday, emitting a pungent stench that wafted across fields on a warm spring breeze.

There were no explosions, as some neighbors had feared, when several engineers floated around farmer Tony Goltstein's manure-storage pond in a flat-bottomed boat and released gas from the bubbles. The bubbles, the size of small houses, were inflated with gas released by 21 million gallons of decomposing cow manure.

WSJ News article, subscription may be required

Perhaps if the dog had been more tight-butted, we wouldn't be discussing this problem. :arf:

LOL

Or if the owner had been a good owner and cleaned up after said dog (like a good owner should).

Back