Best R22 clip I've done so far... Departing out from Montauk at sunset w/ R22...

Very nice, thats something I would like to add-on at some point as well. What are the gotchas or things you found interesting in the transition?

Very nice, thats something I would like to add-on at some point as well. What are the gotchas or things you found interesting in the transition?
In my humble opinion if you train with a new student mindset and study well it is an easy transition. It is one of the most enjoyable flying experiences I've ever had to date. I would drink a LOT of water before lessons just to have an excuse for an off airport landing :cornut:

Love Montauk!
Need to see some more of that awesome footage man!
It is sooo much better than mine from the Piper, as my wife and I took off from the same runway a little over a year ago.
She really enjoyed the view after lunch.:)

Uuuummm, you were wearing sandals ! Oh the humanity! Will you please think if the children.......

Nice footage. Looks like a perfect evening to do a bit of flying.

Waiting to hear from East Hampton residents about your noisy helicopter.

I think I've been lucky enough to be an anomaly, since I fly aerobatics in an Extra I'm very sensitive in terms of the controls which has helped a lot with the transition. The only thing that I've had trouble with hover autos, but I've only dedicated one lesson to them so I think one more and I should be good to go.

In my humble opinion if you train with a new student mindset and study well it is an easy transition. It is one of the most enjoyable flying experiences I've ever had to date. I would drink a LOT of water before lessons just to have an excuse for an off airport landing :cornut:

100% spot on

Uuuummm, you were wearing sandals ! Oh the humanity! Will you please think if the children.......

Nice footage. Looks like a perfect evening to do a bit of flying.

I get flack for that all the time lol, if it's warm out I've always flown with flip flops unless I'm flying aerobatics, why not :)

LOL

I will say in terms of aviation, short of aerobatics, I have the most fun in that little damn R22.

Yes, it is a very fun and challenging machine. To this day my hover autos in it are not perfect, esp. the first one after a break, perhaps because the first time the maneuver was demo'd to me by my CFI he crunched and yawed that thing pretty miserably on a concrete ramp, apologizing that he hadn't done it in a while. He had some 2,400 heli hrs at the time, IIRC.
What did help me drastically was doing them in the R-44, which is a yawner, so it helps you get the basics down which are then just speeded up in the R-22. The S300 which I flew later is similar to the R-44, very easy to hover auto. I assume most helis are like that, since the R-22 has a very low rotor energy.

Yes, it is a very fun and challenging machine. To this day my hover autos in it are not perfect, esp. the first one after a break, perhaps because the first time the maneuver was demo'd to me by my CFI he crunched and yawed that thing pretty miserably on a concrete ramp, apologizing that he hadn't done it in a while. He had some 2,400 heli hrs at the time, IIRC.
What did help me drastically was doing them in the R-44, which is a yawner, so it helps you get the basics down which are then just speeded up in the R-22. The S300 which I flew later is similar to the R-44, very easy to hover auto. I assume most helis are like that, since the R-22 has a very low rotor energy.

Yeah, the first hover auto in the R22 I did I nearly ate it, so quick to turn I ended up 90 degrees off to the left before I knew what happened. I'm sure I'll get it after the next lesson, the regular autos are a blast though, love them.

Yeah, the first hover auto in the R22 I did I nearly ate it, so quick to turn I ended up 90 degrees off to the left before I knew what happened. I'm sure I'll get it after the next lesson, the regular autos are a blast though, love them.

Yes, I love the regular autos in the R-22. So much so that I got my glider rating add-on, since that's essentially an endless "auto". :)
And re hover autos in the R-22, there is one simple trick that makes it much easier. If you are the one controlling the throttle, be sure to reduce it gently (into the overtravel spring). A real-life power outage most likely won't be instantaneous, so there is no need to chop the engine violently (also not good for it). That extra little delay makes a huge difference in the yaw tendency and hence the smoothness of the maneuver.

Yes, I love the regular autos in the R-22. So much so that I got my glider rating add-on, since that's essentially an endless "auto". :)
And re hover autos in the R-22, there is one simple trick that makes it much easier. If you are the one controlling the throttle, be sure to reduce it gently (into the overtravel spring). A real-life power outage most likely won't be instantaneous, so there is no need to chop the engine violently (also not good for it). That extra little delay makes a huge difference in the yaw tendency and hence the smoothness of the maneuver.

Yup, that's EXACTLY the issue I had as I tried to be honest to myself and if I was going to have a failure I'd introduce the power reduction first before any other control inputs, then I realized at the end of the day during the check ride it's no where near as realistic.

But damn, that's awesome, we're very similar, after doing the autos I decided my next step after finishing the add-on is just finishing my last few hours for instrument and then I'm doing my glider add-on!

Cool video. How many hours did the add on take approx?

I picked up on it really quickly within the first few hours, so we've been just exploring as the minimum hours for the check ride are 20hrs dual and 10hrs solo. I'm about 3hrs away from tidying up my solo time, then I just have to do a refresher for all of the things that are covered in the check ride and I'll be done with the add-on.

Back