Best private pilot manual

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
I've always used the Airplane Flying Handbook for my students, but some have suggested that it's too hard to read.

What do you use for private pilot instruction, Gleim, Sporty's, Help, Machado?

I'm asking about a flying manual, not written test prep.

Thanks!

I liked Jepps manuals when I was coming up. They're still available but are a bit pricey. Gleim ok too.

I'll have to disagree. I found the Jepp manuals to be about the worst things I've ever read.

For private, even though it's a bit dated, I'd go with Bill Kernsher's text.

Gleim is great for drill and kill on the written, but it's not and doesn't attempt to be a general knowledge text.

Ahem.....are you aware of THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT, written by little old me and published by ASA? Eleventh edition is current. You can find updates at www.asa2fly.com, Resources, Updates, Textbooks.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Gleim worked well for me, but you can't go wrong with King either.

I used the Gleim "Be a Pilot" boxed set. Worked well. The explanations were clear and simple, should be understandable to most folks. Painfully simple for me, as I was working on my MS in Engineering at the time. It was a refreshing change of pace . . .

Bought the Jeppesen "Commercial and Instrument Flying" book at my CFII's request. Save your money and get something else. For an in-depth look, there's always the Naval Aviator's Handbook.

I'll have to disagree. I found the Jepp manuals to be about the worst things I've ever read.

For private, even though it's a bit dated, I'd go with Bill Kernsher's text.

Gleim is great for drill and kill on the written, but it's not and doesn't attempt to be a general knowledge text.
Here's another vote against Jepp. Overblown, overwritten. Nice pretty colors, tho.

If reading the FAA PHAK is too difficult, perhaps the student should consider a career in Art History, instead?

I used the Gleim "Be a Pilot" boxed set. Worked well. The explanations were clear and simple, should be understandable to most folks. Painfully simple for me, as I was working on my MS in Engineering at the time. It was a refreshing change of pace . . .

Bought the Jeppesen "Commercial and Instrument Flying" book at my CFII's request. Save your money and get something else. For an in-depth look, there's always the Naval Aviator's Handbook.
Shouldn't there be a smiley after the NAH? I, too, have my own copy. I wouldn't recommend NAH to beginners unless they have the background to apprciate it. Can be really overwhelming.

Yes, I forgot to mention Bob's book. Nice solid background and since Bob is still alive and kicking, up to date. I do like Kershner's description of dynamics of flight though (and he was a hoot to listen to when he was still alive).

Ahem.....are you aware of THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT, written by little old me and published by ASA? Eleventh edition is current. You can find updates at www.asa2fly.com, Resources, Updates, Textbooks.

Bob Gardner
Add another vote for Bob's books.

Bob Gardner

When you buy one do you get notified when there are updates? Are they the remove page x and insert page x type?

Here's another vote against Jepp. Overblown, overwritten. Nice pretty colors, tho.

When I had the books 40 years ago that was about all that available besides the FAA books, which weren't as indepth as they are now. No videos either, which are wonderful for today's student, except some of the youtube homemade ones are questionable. Jepp books worked for me back then but I have no idea about the Jepp books now.

Shouldn't there be a smiley after the NAH? I, too, have my own copy. I wouldn't recommend NAH to beginners unless they have the background to apprciate it. Can be really overwhelming.

No smilie, I am serious. NAH is as in-depth as they come!

But I agree, not a beginner's book.

I've always used the Airplane Flying Handbook for my students, but some have suggested that it's too hard to read.

I don't get it. The AFH is not hard to read at all. Is someone confusing it with the PHAK (which definitely is hard to read)?

If one of my students told me the AFH was too hard to read, I would tell them to take a hike. I've flown with enough dumb people already.

In the spirit of answering the question, Machado has a new book out, How To Fly An Airplane. I haven't read it, but knowing Machado and the goal of this specific book, it's probably the best alternative out there.

Add another vote for Bob's books.

Same. Going through Complete Advanced Pilot now. I don't mind the Machado books,
but prefer the more straightforward approach.

Student Pilot Guide was a must, and a dog-eared FAR/AIM with tabs for reference (important at your checkride). Also printouts of the AC references - weather, mainly.

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators is interesting but not relevant imo....

When you buy one do you get notified when there are updates? Are they the remove page x and insert page x type?

No. ASA has no way of tracking sales by retailers. The Updates are online at their web site and can be printed out. Another arrow in my quiver is the Reader's Resource page: Go to Library on the web site, click on the private pilot book, and you will see a tab leading to information or articles I thought would be of interest to pilots but did not fit into the "textbook" category.

Bob

Please consider my book as well, for you and your students. It contains advanced military fighter pilot techniques for engine loss events. Have a look!

Thank you!

Nate

Please consider my book as well, for you and your students. It contains advanced military fighter pilot techniques for engine loss events. Have a look!

Thank you!

Nate
Name of the book would help.

Back