Best plane for mission: South FL to MGMM Flores, Guatemala

If you do not need a twin, just look for a Velocity XL on the used market. They are surprisingly affordable.
As for the Aerostar, your IA just dislikes honest planes. I have only flown a dozen or so small types, but nothing comes close to giving you the feedback an Aerostar does. The pilot just has to listen, and fly the plane the way it was meant to be flown.
Like a swept wing jet; nail the numbers.

Tim
No, he hates working on them. Same level pita as a 337, there's one he works on with faired nacelles that requires engine removal to change the back jugs. Also mentioned the owner was a higher time pilot and insurance was $6k or more.

Ah ok.
Yes, they are a pain to work on, very tight spaces.
It takes some knowledge to change the back jugs without engine removal. I watched it being done.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Not if going first/business class it isn't. $2500 round trip per person next month out of Miami on business class, and it's a 15+ hour ordeal.
Wow. That sounds like a spiteful trip.

If you’re going to do it in a non-turbine single, I think the thought of a Malibu, Mirage or M350 Is the best solution. Plenty of range and the payload is good for an 800 nm flight. Traveling over 200 knots makes the trip length bearable. And if you’re not going to be in a twin or turbine, with single engine concerns. Flying it at 23 to 25,000 feet, it almost always will be within glide of Land or at least warm water close to land. No wind glide at 25,000 feet is going to be 58 nautical miles With a windmilling prop, farther, if you’re lucky enough for the prop to stop. Plus you have radar which comes in handy since there’s no Nexrad or ADBS weather down there.

Sad to say that there’s a ditching record with the PA46, but happy to say that as far as I know the ditching record is perfect. The plane ditches very well given that it’s retractable, has a long, strong, and watertight pressurized fuselage

Back