Best place to fly for snow skiing (east coast)

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
I want to take the family skiing who has a airport close. We are in ky.

Denver, CO. Use KAPA, KBJC or KFTG.

Seriously, there is no skiing in the East, only ice skating down hills.

Oh yeah, I used to live in Lexington and was based at KIOB. Denver took me a little over six hours from KLEX in my Tiger.

Maybe Maine or Vermont in January if they have a cold and snowy winter. Otherwise, go west. I used to live in NJ and was amazed the resorts in the Northeast could stay in business.

If you have a turbocharger and a big budget, KASE. You can be in a ski condo 20 minutes after wheel touch.

Oh geez, looks like folks are piling on for heading west and the obvious ones have been mentioned (sorta). May as well add SBS, TEX, GNB, AXX, SKX and JAC. EGE and PSO are also options.

Is that about it for the near west? I guess CPR is also close but I'd call it a skiing like activity since you'll probably be blown off the mountain rather than ski the mountain.

Skiing was pretty good in Boone, NC last year. They had over 130" of snow last year.

This year the Wooley worms are saying a mild winter while the ones who count the foggy mornings in August say this winter will be colder and snowier than last year.

:)

Skiing was pretty good in Boone, NC last year. They had over 130" of snow last year.

This year the Wooley worms are saying a mild winter while the ones who count the foggy mornings in August say this winter will be colder and snowier than last year.

Wow, if we only got 130" of snow in a year it would have severe negative repercussions (can you say drought)!!! So far this season we have recieved 91" of snow, and will probably end up with around 400" for the season total.

Is that about it for the near west?
There's GUC if you want to go to Crested Butte. There's an airport at Crested Butte but it's private and I'm not sure if they keep it open in the winter. It's also not the greatest runway in the world. They say it's asphalt but that is being generous unless it's been repaved within the past 10 years or so.

Last time I was at Boone, they had an 18" base <ahem> with ice, rocks, and mud. It sucked like a shopvac.

We are going to Vail in Jan. want a place close until then.
Is their any airports near snowshoe

Maine... Carrabasset Valley.. Sugarloaf
Maine... Portland.. close to Bethal Ski areas
There used to be a "Ski Train" in season that would run from Boston to Portland and then to Bethal ME

New Hampshire.. Laconia.. Closest to Loon Mountain (Not sure if one closer)
NH.. Fryburg Maine for access to NH ski slopes
Vermont.. Rutland, Springfield or Mountpieller
NY.. Saranac Lake..

How about Sky Bryce (VG18). Never ski'd there (have yet to ski on the east coast), but it's a great little airport to fly into.

I suggest Winterplace Ski Resort located between Bluefield and Beckley, WV at Ghent, WV. You can fly into
Raleigh County (BKW). Obviously, you would need a rental to drive over to the slopes. (About a 20 min drive).
Last time I was there, Enterprise was on the field.

We are going to Vail in Jan. want a place close until then.
Is their any airports near snowshoe

closest is about an hour and a half by car .. They do have a heliport on the resort you could use if you fly one of those whirly bird thingamajigs.

Bethel Regional airport

http://www.airnav.com/airport/0B1

is pretty close to the Sunday River Ski Area.

KIZG Eastern Slopes Regional in Fryeburg,ME is the airport for North Conway,NH (Cranmore Mtn, Attitash, Wildcat all minute by western standards)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIZG

I dont know whether they have rental cars available at the airport, a call to the airport manager should sort that out.

Rutland, VT has a quite functional regional airport. From there, it is a short trip to Killington and its satellites. You may even get by with a cab-ride to downtown where you can pick up the people-mover buses up to the resorts.

Last edited:
What about windwood? Are any places close to it?

If you time it right, like Skipp said, Winter Place in WV can have good conditions, but it's always a gamble. The skiing there isn't too advanced. Snowshoe in WV usually has better conditions and is better skiing all around. Nice place.

In addition to the above there is the airport at Hunter Mountain NY Also I and other POAers can strongly recomment WV62 Windwood Flyin Resort in Davis WV in the Caanan Valley. There is a motel right at the airport and it is super close to the ski resorts in the Caanan Valley. The Hospitality there can't be beat.

Back