Best Place to do Sea Plane Certificate

BoundaryWaters

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BoundaryWaters
I live in Central Minnesota, but I am a student at UND (University of North Dakota) currently getting my privates pilot license. When I finish at the end of the semester, I want to get my Sea Plane certificate so I can do lake landings in Northern Minnesota or Canada. I would eventually like to become a Bush Pilot in Alaska and I feel like this would be a great way to get started. Any information is welcome.
THANKS
BoundaryWaters

I live in Central Minnesota, but I am a student at UND (University of North Dakota) currently getting my privates pilot license. When I finish at the end of the semester, I want to get my Sea Plane certificate so I can do lake landings in Northern Minnesota or Canada. I would eventually like to become a Bush Pilot in Alaska and I feel like this would be a great way to get started. Any information is welcome.
THANKS
BoundaryWaters

Wait until you get your commercial done. That will add an additional class rating to your commercial certificate vice your private certificate.

Wait until you get your commercial done. That will add an additional class rating to your commercial certificate vice your private certificate.

This. Much cheaper (and fewer check rides) if you do it after the commercial.

FYI I believe the Boundary Waters are off limits to seaplanes. http://www.seaplanes.org/spa/ has a water directory with that info. IIRC There is/was a place in MN that rents seaplanes to rated pilots. Most seaplane schools do not rent even if you train with them. Waiting for the Commercial isn't a bad idea, waiting 2 years if you are in school then doing a commercial seaplane add-on as you graduate and need a FR can save you a few bucks. Will take a bunch of hustle to build the seaplane time needed to get a job, not impossible but the path is not laid out through a college program and probably involves loading and fueling seaplanes for some time.

I recommend Jack Brown's outside of Orlando if you decide to go on a Florida adventure at some point....

I recommend Jack Brown's outside of Orlando if you decide to go on a Florida adventure at some point....

I also have heard good things about Browns, which is in Winter Haven right next to KGIF.

If the op is planning on flying floats up north I think he'd be better off getting the rating up north. Nothing against Brown's just that FL flying is easy.

This. Much cheaper (and fewer check rides) if you do it after the commercial.

Does it matter?:confused: I'm not sure since I did my CSES and CSEL ride simultaneously in a Lake LA-4 200. However, if he wants to fly sea planes as a pro, I'd suggest he go ahead and get his PP-SES and build his 200hrs towards his commercial as much in a seaplane as he can, maybe pick up a 140 on floats.

Last edited:
Does it matter?:confused: I'm not sure since I did my CSES and CSEL ride simultaneously in a Lake LA-4 200. However, if he wants to fly sea planes as a pro, I'd suggest he go ahead and get his PP-SES and build his 200hrs towards his commercial as much in a seaplane as he can, maybe pick up a 140 on floats.

Yeah, it matters to a lot of folks who want to get into this business, but don't have a lot of money to build seaplane time as a PP. Get the comm first and find ways to get paid while you build time. Unless you can do your ASES in a Lake and there aren't that many schools that use amphibians compared to floats, you're adding an extra check ride and examiner fee.

Could it be done in a couple of summers working as a gas filler, plane cleaner, etc. working for someone like ken more in Seattle? They are really in it big time and have been for years.

Back