• Don't even bother with aviation

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

billypudenz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wow
I made a thread about this several months ago, in the summer. I thought I'd bring it up again, and if anyone has anything else to say about it.

I'm having some issues finding the a good place to learn to become a pilot. Corporate aviation is my main focus, and I'd like to become a corporate pilot in the long run. I've looked at some 4-year schools because I know that's what most corporations look for - a bachelor's degree.

I know that you really shouldn't get a degree in aviation because the industry can be kind of shaky, and it's impossible to make a lot of money right off the bat. A lot of people suggested majoring in something else and get flight training at a local flight school last time I made a thread like this. Would you still agree with that?

The problem with that is that I don't know what else I'm truly interested. Nothing else really intrigues me as much as flying does, so I find it difficult to just major in something else that I'm not interested in as much.

I'm in a pickle, so I hope you all can give me some good advice on what to do...

Study what you want to. Just know that if you major in aeronautical science and you lose your medical be prepared for a tough job hunt. I majored in economics and flew on the side and still graduated with my CFI and little debt. Nobody cares where you get your degree just as long as you have one.

I wish I knew what else I would want to do that involves a degree. How often were you able to do your flight training on the side? I feel like things would get pretty chaotic.

If you want to be a pilot, flight training should be your first priority.

Get your initial PPL in a glider, power add on in a tailwheel, fly across the country a time or two, cross into Mexico or Canada, use free lance instructors (ATP/CFIs), do aerobatic training, shotgun hours with other pilots.

As for the major, save your money and do it online after you get your CPL, many schools will count your CPL for credits. Only degrees I'd bother with inperson would be a 2 year RN nurse degree, awesome ROI and goes very well with aviation and around the globe.

FYI your first couple jobs won't care about your degree, good chance none of your employers will.

Want a pro tip? Find a A&P IA who you can apprentice under while you're doing your flight training, probably take you a couple years to go from 0 to CPL, in that time you'll also know WAAAY more about aircraft than your peers and could also become a A&P, CPL + A&P can open up many doors, plus you'll get PAID to get your A&P.

End up with a CPL A&P and a RN, you can build hours and nurse on the side with a good QOL, being able to wrench will always come in handy. You will be able to go nearly anywhere in the world and get a job quickly.

Last edited:
Get a degree in something ,that will pay the bills,while you build time for the airlines.

As someone who made the terrible mistake of picking the first option, I can say with certainty that option 2 is the best option.

You wan to become pilot so find good pilot training school nearer to your location. One of my friend have good experience with Baylor aviation degree.

How often were you able to do your flight training on the side? I feel like things would get pretty chaotic.

I did mine on the weekends or evenings if I wasn't too busy. May have to have some self-discipline and not get drunk every Friday & Saturday night.

Don't know how old you are, but assuming your college age and not trying to support a family, go to college. Get a degree in something that you can make a living with in case the flying thing doesn't work out. Get a job at the local airport FBO and start working on your ratings on the side.

If you want to fly corporate this will allow you to make connections which is very important in the corporate world. Got my first job while I was a senior in college flying right seat in a Citation because the chief pilot knew me from the FBO.

You left out the Air National Guard. Best deal going. Get your college paid for and then a ticket to the worlds finest flight school.

Back