Best phone call ever?

You can’t fake it and try to negotiate when it comes to this. It’s the answer that spills out before the question is finished.

So old George watched his red headed son grow, plagued with weakness, physical problems, and low mental acuity. He couldn't help but notice how different he was from his brothers. Finally, he could hold it in no longer, and decided to confront his wife with the issue.

"You know Marge, Otto looks nothing like our other seven sons" George said, weeping. "He has a different father, doesn't he?"

Marge held her head low. "Yes, I am afraid that is true."

"Okay... I gotta know, who is his father?"

"You."

Is that upward slope to the door real or an illusion?

Well I didn't get a call but I got a letter from the county yesterday informing us that they're finally going to pave the road to my house. After 26 years of living on a gravel road that is prone to wash outs during the monsoon season (and this one was a doozy) they are going to pave it.

"If directions to your house requires you to turn off the paved road....you might be a redneck."
~ Jeff Foxworthy

Got a two calls like that about four years ago.

I was about number six or greater on each of the four lists at the airport for a hangar. The Manager called me and said did I still want one. It had a dirt floor, I said yes and asked why me. He said the people in front of me declined.

Next day he called again and said he had one that had a concrete floor. I said YES and didn’t ask any questions this time.

Cheers

Well I didn't get a call but I got a letter from the county yesterday informing us that they're finally going to pave the road to my house. After 26 years of living on a gravel road that is prone to wash outs during the monsoon season (and this one was a doozy) they are going to pave it.

"If directions to your house requires you to turn off the paved road....you might be a redneck."
~ Jeff Foxworthy

But when the construction is over, you will have to deal with more traffic.

But when the construction is over, you will have to deal with more traffic.

Nah not really. There's no place left to build on my road. We're on horse property and everyone has at least an acre of land. When we built our house here we paid a fee for paving the road. About 15 years ago there was a town hall type meeting and they decided that they weren't going to fulfill their promise to pave the road and gave everyone's money back. I don't know what changed but they've decided to pave the road anyway so I guess our property taxes will go up. I don't care, it will be nice to have less dust.

I live on a paved road, and we are in the middle of 3 month teardown and rebuild. They are widening it, putting in storm sewer, but also raising and lowering the grade depending on which section of the road. So much dust, even with the reduced traffic. And because I live so close to work they start working before I leave the house. One day they had both ends trenched and I couldn't get out.

I spoke too soon. My wife told me about the letter, then I read the letter. They're going to re-pave the existing roads. :sigh:

~ Jeff Foxworthy
I got a letter like that and a bill for $5000. My portion of the cost of the road. Wish they would have left the road the way it was...:(

Congrats on the hangar..:)

Thats great! but a better one................... "this is Carrol from (pick the airline) training dept , and you have been accepted. Your class date IS.........." That was the best phone call I ever got! still excites me when I think of answering the phone that day. I had a very hard time concentrating on anything else that day. I still remember where I was and how I answered the phone, not expecting who was on the other end. That was Oct 1976. What a ride I was in for! Sorry to hijack your thread.

Congratulations! That must take a huge weight off your shoulders!

My most recent “best phone call ever” was from a (intentionally unnamed) dream company offering me a job, almost 4 months before my official military retirement. Huge weight off mine and my family’s shoulders, for sure.

I got an email earlier this year. This was from a guy that I’d worked for twice before at different companies. In the past dozen or so years, we’ve talked exactly once. The moment I saw the “From:” email address, I knew things were about to get really, really interesting.

I was right. :)

Thats great! but a better one................... "this is Carrol from (pick the airline) training dept , and you have been accepted. Your class date IS.........." That was the best phone call I ever got! still excites me when I think of answering the phone that day. I had a very hard time concentrating on anything else that day. I still remember where I was and how I answered the phone, not expecting who was on the other end. That was Oct 1976. What a ride I was in for! Sorry to hijack your thread.

Open discussion my friend!

Congratulations! That must take a huge weight off your shoulders!

My most recent “best phone call ever” was from a (intentionally unnamed) dream company offering me a job, almost 4 months before my official military retirement. Huge weight off mine and my family’s shoulders, for sure.

Fantastic!

Back