Best parts of California to see in under a week?

A day trip through Yosemite would be way better than Sequoia. Fly to Mariposa, drive into the valley on 140 then take the southern route out through Wawona where Mariposa Grove is. Plenty of big and famous redwoods to see there. If you simply must go to Sequoia then you must take Hwy 180 at the junction and go all the way down into Kings Canyon. If you're that close you really shouldn't miss it.

Last I heard, there were no rental cars at Mariposa anymore.

It's been 20...25 years but I used to spend lotsa time at this place on Balboa Peninsula where they serve you on only the finest Chinette that has never been used before and will never be used again.

Eat lotsa fish...

The crab cooker

Hey Richard Palm, I have also visited a restaurant (Ella's) last Sunday. One of my fav restaurants having wide range of food and drinks.

I'd tour the Midway before I went to the San Diego Zoo. Make certain you get a fish taco at Rubio's while you're at it. Fast food, but escht all the same. I have no idea if any of my other old haunts are still open.

Of course, to go look at the otherworldly Salk Institute is free, as is the adjacent glider port and the nude beach below, if you're into that sort of thing. The town of LaJolla, just to the south, is utterly breathtaking. Last I was there the seals had taken over the beach, too.

If you stay overnight in San Diego a trip to Tijuana could be really fun. Park your rental car just before you hit the border and walk across. Its no big deal. Plenty of shopping, you can drunk as you like for almost free, and you can eat in one of the many five star restaurants for a fraction of what you would pay in the US. I used to take all my visitors there, and it was always the highlight of their trip.

Fly the coast the whole way except Vandenburg. Stop at San Luis Obispo or Monterrey and rent a car and drive the Big Sur. Have to be roundtrip. Stop at Phiefer State Park Beach and walk to that incredible beach overlook and the redwoods in the campground. Drive Carmel beach road and Pebble Beach drive (pay the toll, its worth it). Visit Carmel and stop at the art galleries. Keep on flying right up the coast. Half Moon Bay, Golden Gate bridge and on up the coast the whole way. Shelter Cove is cool. There is an airport in Washington state that is ON THE BEACH. The runway is beach sand. Good luck and stay out of the clouds! If it gets too cloudy, go inland. In the summer its cloudy on ocean and clear inland, in the winter its clear on the coast and cloudy inland.

There is an airport in Washington state that is ON THE BEACH. The runway is beach sand.
That would be S16, Copalis State Airport. Check the tide tables before going there. And avoid the adjacent National Wildlife Refuge -- the Feds claim every time a little airplane flies over they have to hire more counselors to help the sea birds and fish deal with PTSD. They have legions of informants with Birkenstocks and binoculars out there.

:rolleyes:

Fly the coast the whole way except Vandenburg. Stop at San Luis Obispo or Monterrey and rent a car and drive the Big Sur. Have to be roundtrip. Stop at Phiefer State Park Beach and walk to that incredible beach overlook and the redwoods in the campground. Drive Carmel beach road and Pebble Beach drive (pay the toll, its worth it). Visit Carmel and stop at the art galleries. Keep on flying right up the coast. Half Moon Bay, Golden Gate bridge and on up the coast the whole way. Shelter Cove is cool. There is an airport in Washington state that is ON THE BEACH. The runway is beach sand. Good luck and stay out of the clouds! If it gets too cloudy, go inland. In the summer its cloudy on ocean and clear inland, in the winter its clear on the coast and cloudy inland.

It's a big local secret, but there is another beachside airport not far from Monterey.

Monterey Bay Academy, CA66. It's private, but if you look at their website, you have permission to make one landing to sign their release. Once you've done that, you have permission.

It's owned by a church, so please respect their customs.

The runway is unpaved and relatively short. It's also very close to Watsonville, a busy public use uncontrolled airport.

It's a big local secret, but there is another beachside airport not far from Monterey.

Monterey Bay Academy, CA66. It's private, but if you look at their website, you have permission to make one landing to sign their release. Once you've done that, you have permission.

It's owned by a church, so please respect their customs.

The runway is unpaved and relatively short. It's also very close to Watsonville, a busy public use uncontrolled airport.

Looks interesting.

http://oceanshoreaviation.com/landing-at-mba/

After starting in Petaluma, fly Point Reyes National Seashores, Point Arena, Menducino Coast and the Lost Coast - it brings you directly to Shelter Cove. That was one of the most scenic flights we ever did. :)

You got me!
Read an article about that. It started because all the freways in LA had names. The Pasadena, The Santa Monica, The Hollywood. It carried over into numbered highways. It think the real reason is only Californians have a proper Revereance for freeways.

Santa Barbara has good wineries and San Diego has good craft breweries. I'll join you and Brian for a pint the next round on me since Brian offered first round at KMYF.

Scott
I'd tour the Midway before I went to the San Diego Zoo. Make certain you get a fish taco at Rubio's while you're at it. Fast food, but escht all the same. I have no idea if any of my other old haunts are still open.

Of course, to go look at the otherworldly Salk Institute is free, as is the adjacent glider port and the nude beach below, if you're into that sort of thing. The town of LaJolla, just to the south, is utterly breathtaking. Last I was there the seals had taken over the beach, too.

If you stay overnight in San Diego a trip to Tijuana could be really fun. Park your rental car just before you hit the border and walk across. Its no big deal. Plenty of shopping, you can drunk as you like for almost free, and you can eat in one of the many five star restaurants for a fraction of what you would pay in the US. I used to take all my visitors there, and it was always the highlight of their trip.

The Midway is a must for aviation enthusiasts. You can land at SAN, park at Landmark Aviation and walk to the Midway and all the other waterfront attractions in a few minutes. You can also do SEE and walk from transient parking to the Trolley stop and be Downtown and the Waterfront inside of an hour of tying the airplane down. Lodging is right there. Would be a great overnight stop. A couple nights even better. SEE might be better to avoid weather issues.

That would be S16, Copalis State Airport. Check the tide tables before going there. And avoid the adjacent National Wildlife Refuge -- the Feds claim every time a little airplane flies over they have to hire more counselors to help the sea birds and fish deal with PTSD. They have legions of informants with Birkenstocks and binoculars out there.

:rolleyes:
Yup. And all up and down the Oregon Washington Coast. Pay heed to the notes on the charts.

Oregon is great as well. I enjoyed flying over the lava beds between California and Oregon that was amazing views. Fly by Mount Shasta too!

Oregon is great as well. I enjoyed flying over the lava beds between California and Oregon that was amazing views. Fly by Mount Shasta too!

I've already done the PNW. Rainier, St Helens, Crater Lake, etc... and flew by Shasta on the way to Tahoe. Then I was on the east side of the Sierras. This time, I was thinking of seeing more of what's on the west side.

If you want to hit a nice beach, you can land at SBA and walk to Goleta beach. Solvang us a must do as well. If you are a wine snob Paso Robles has more wineries than you'll know what to do with. My parents have a vineyard in the area but only sell grapes, not make wine.

Whatever you do, I suggest staying on the costal side, not the Central Valley. Cooler, smoother air, more scenic.

If you are flying there is a really nice spot just west of Sacramento. You can fly in and eat. They have a runway. I have forgot the name of this place. If memory serves me correctly, it is after Davis but before Vacaville. Its called the nut cracker or something like this. You must stop. Very nice place. California has so many nice places.

Sadly, the original Nut Tree has been replaced by a giant outdoor strip mall.... So if you want a five guys burger or a Rubio's fish taco, you're in luck at VCB (Nut Tree Airport)

L45 has a great breakfast/lunch joint run by the Harmons (of Harmon Rocket Fame). John is usually on the runway side of the bar reading the paper... Great guy.

MCC has a fun museum and free crew cars and the cheapest fuel in NorCal.

3O8 is a must-stop for a good steak!

L52 is fun, but a decent bike ride from civilization.

O22 is great for sightseeing...hell, fly the whole Hwy 49 corridor and watch the lakes fill up!

Avoid:

PSP for fuel (ramp fees and wind shear) use TRM instead.

SCK - $40 ramp fee fuel at MOD or MCC instead.

OAK - $30 ramp fee and lots of traffic, HWD instead

Other ideas:

CNO has TWO excellent museums on field and good food to boot... AJO has a decent restaurant and Aircraft Spruce will send a van for you if you want to go shopping....

O69 is fun, grab an uber and head downtown!

WLW has cheap fuel and a good diner--Nancy's

McWay Waterfall in Big Sur. Rent a motorcycle and drive Big Sur. Definitely worth it. Google it.

Sadly, the original Nut Tree has been replaced by a giant outdoor strip mall.... So if you want a five guys burger or a Rubio's fish taco, you're in luck at VCB (Nut Tree Airport)
We used to enjoy taking the kids to the old Nut Tree for a fuel/food stop between L.A. and Oregon. The restaurant had an amazing collection of model aircraft hanging from the ceiling. The kids enjoyed riding the train that ran between the restaurant and the aircraft parking area.

1978:

PICT0276.JPG

PICT0277.JPG

A big chunk of "Americana" was lost forever when they closed the Nut Tree, in Vacaville.

ca-vacaville-nut-tree-c1960.jpg

We ALWAYS stopped there.

Avoid:

PSP for fuel (ramp fees and wind shear) use TRM instead.

SCK - $40 ramp fee fuel at MOD or MCC instead...
When did SCK get a ramp fee? That must really be cutting down on traffic.

Atlantic. The only gig in town. That's why I keep my car at O20 now... Fuel is $2.00 cheaper up there too....

And I even get some grass field experience....
aa55f22520e6b9bf08e850ca1651eb77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great memories of Nut Tree in those photos!
Thanks

Atlantic. The only gig in town. That's why I keep my car at O20 now... Fuel is $2.00 cheaper up there too....

And I even get some grass field experience....
aa55f22520e6b9bf08e850ca1651eb77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is this "partial" grass to make the transition easier? :)

John

Back