Best NYC Training Location???

denmark219

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
denmark219
All, I'm from IL originally, and I have 40 hours that I did when I was in school in Iowa City (Go hawkeyes!). I live in NYC now, and needless to say access to a GA airport is a little more difficult than it was in Iowa City. Anyone have any recommendations or tips on the easiest airport to finish up my training? I live on the upper east side (108th and 5th). I was thinking Teterboro (TEB)?? Thanks in advance!

All, I'm from IL originally, and I have 40 hours that I did when I was in school in Iowa City (Go hawkeyes!). I live in NYC now, and needless to say access to a GA airport is a little more difficult than it was in Iowa City. Anyone have any recommendations or tips on the easiest airport to finish up my training? I live on the upper east side (108th and 5th). I was thinking Teterboro (TEB)?? Thanks in advance!

I don't think there's any flight training over at TEB, and even if there was, you wouldn't want to do it there. White Plains (HPN) is probably a better option--Panorama Flight Service is one option there. Otherwise, you're looking at Caldwell (CDW) or Morristown (MMU).

I am currently training at Panorama at HPN.

I am also pretty sure there is nothing at TEB and also agree that HPN is your best option from northern Manhattan. In addition to CDW or MMU, you could also look into FRG, N07, or LDJ.

At HPN, there are only two schools. Panorama trains on Cessna 172's and Performance Flight trains on Cirrus SR-20's. So it should be a pretty easy choice depending on what you want to train on. For what it is worth, I have been generally happy with Panorama.

As you are finding out, training will be more difficult here than it was in Iowa. In addition to having to drive further to the airport, expect higher hourly rates for planes/instructors and expect to accomplish less per hour of training time. You will spend time in line to takeoff or waiting to get back in while the Hobbs ticks away. The one advantage is that you will learn quickly how to navigate busy and complex airspace.

Kfrg you can take the Long Island railroad out to,farmingdale from penn, and a short cab ride to the airport. I fly with Long Island if you interestedmin moreminfo you can PM me, they have a couple of g1000 172, a nice 152.

The Panorama seems to make a good bit of sense. I have access to a car, so that could work out quite well.

Yeah I realize it will be much different than Iowa. Can you believe I was paying $85/hour for the 152 AND instructor!?! Those were the days!

I'm very interested in getting better with complex airspace. We didn't have that in Iowa except towards O'Hare. I think that I can accomplish what I want in about 20 hours anyways. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Mark

Since you have access to a car, you might also want to consider Danbury (DXR). It's pretty exactly a half-hour drive north of White Plains. While you would spend more time on the road, you might be better off training-wise. The airfield is not quite as frequented by business aviation, and the airspace environment is less restrictive than at HPN. Rates are probably a bit lower.

One downside is that DXR has an unusual traffic pattern. The field is located in a valley, with TPA 1250 feet above ground. Short final can be a bit of a nose-dive.

To continue your training, you may also want to consider joining a flying club. There are clubs both at HPN and at DXR.

If you want to come out to Islip MacArthur, KISP, only a trip on the railroad on the Ronkonkoma branch I highly recommend Heritage flight academy. I trained there and still rent from there. First class all the way. Easy to schedule, great instructors and a nice fleet of 172's. If you need any other details let me know.

I don't have experience with Farmingdale although I have heard stories of insane delays waiting to take off and many of those planes come to KISP to practice in the pattern because they can't at Farmingdale. Just something to consider because I've flown out of KISP for over a year and never waited more than 5 minutes at the hold short line.

Check PMs

Heritage in Islip looks like a great outfit. No flight experience with them, I only went there to take my written.

Academy of Aviation in KFRG was pretty good. I went there for some sim time, and CFIs are very easy to work with, great training. Made my G1000 transition pretty easy.

One thing to note, I heard KFRG departure wait can be brutal.

I second Hertiage at Islip. I have trained there and even today got my flight review done there. Very professional. You won't be disappointed.

One thing to note, I heard KFRG departure wait can be brutal.

I've almost never had issues. The one time I did, I was stuck behind a Part 135 carrier waiting for IFR release...once I informed tower I could accept an intersection departure, I was out right away.

BTW, I did my PPL with Academy of Aviation at FRG and enjoyed it. I'm now renting from Empire Flight, also at FRG.

I live in midtown Manhattan and commute out. Pretty easy via car or LIRR.

Mid-Island out of KISP or KHWV is a good outfit, but it's a bit of a schlep from The City. Nice in the summer, though; you can hit the beach after flying.

-Rich

I did all of my training in the area. Farmingdale isn't too bad. If you want the names of places to stay clear of, PM me. I also trainied in Caldwell. It' spretty easy to get to by NJ transit bus. Not sure what ops are still around there, but it was a decent training airport because you're pretty clear of the bravo there.

Back