Best "Nice" Headsets for Passengers?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I have read the other threads, and don't see an exact answer to my question...but lots of good insights.

My question is...what headset strikes a reasonable compromise for passengers with decent comfort and noise cancelling...but not Bose $1,100 decent? I'm willing to spend some bucks, but would prefer something short of Bose's all around.

Any help would be appreciated!

Only new or are you willing to go used? I used to use the Telex Echelon 150 and liked it a lot. A nice used pair goes for about $150.

I'm open to used. Brad, did you get them on EBAY? Seems like the EBAY ones go for more...

QT Halo
$360 new

As quiet as, and far more comfortable than, any ANR headset I've ever tried.

I'd highly recommend the Bose QC15s + uFlyMike for a total of ~$450 new with the added bonus that you will have great standard noise-canceling headphones to use anywhere. They are super comfortable and light, and their biggest downside is having them go silent when the battery dies, which isn't much of a concern for a passenger (or even for a pilot as long as you include a battery check in your preflight).

We use the trickle down effect on passenger headsets. They are current a couple of older lightspeeds (30 3G and a 25XL).

I'm open to used. Brad, did you get them on EBAY? Seems like the EBAY ones go for more...

No. I rarely buy anything on eBay.

I've bought one from craigslist ($450), one from a coworker who gave up flying after three kids and one salary ($350), and sone from omeone at my airport who listed his for sale in the red board classifieds after switching over to Halos ($425).

Shane makes some damn nice headsets - and they are made in America not by little Chinese kids in a sweat shop. If you want a nice headset that will not break the bank the squawk shoppe is the place to go.

Almost sounds like a paid endorsement.

David

QT Halo
$360 new

As quiet as, and far more comfortable than, any ANR headset I've ever tried.

QT Halos are great, but would not be my first choice for a passenger headset unless you constantly want to have to change the ear tips. They are more of a personal headset solution.

Softcom has some nice sets that won't break the bank. I have couple of there anr sets and think they were around 300 new. Comfortable. I prefer lightspeed myself though as they can't be beat for customer service. I have 4 Bose anr sets I make my passengers wear. After about 6 hours they hate them as much as I do.

I've bought 2 used Bose X's in the last couple years, I have 4 total now. I bought one set either on here or the Red Board and another from a guy that moved up to an airline and didn't need them. I paid $500 two years ago for a really nice pair and $350 last year for a pair that needed earseals. :D I think $400.00 should buy a pretty nice pair now. :yes:

Anyone else using uFlyMike? I have had a good experience, and the fact I can use my headphones outside the plane also is a nice perk.

Anyone else using uFlyMike? I have had a good experience, and the fact I can use my headphones outside the plane also is a nice perk.

Great combo with my Bose QC15s and when I'm not flying, I use my QC15s while fly commercially, working in my shop, mowing the lawn, drowning out loud teenagers, etc. :yes:

I like the QC2 better than the QC15. I have three sets. I've been using the uflymike since I started flying.

Get a used Bose X for ~$500
Damn...this is possibly some of the best advice I've seen in a while. And the timing was impeccable.

I just bought two used Bose X for the pax in the Baron for $500-$550 a piece and then ordered replacement pads and mic sock.

Thanks Rusty!

Get two used David Clarks for the price of one used Bose!
Oh don't get me wrong, I am a DC guy myself. I will continue to use my 7 year old DC ANR headset.

The reason I went with the Bose for PAX is that if there is a common complaint about DCs it is that a lot of folks find the uncomfortable/vice-like on the head over long periods of time. Personally, it has never bothered me, but I pay a little more for PAX comfort, it is worth it.....just got to remember to keep spare batteries in the plane.

Telex ANR 30. Large cups, BIC cushy earcups, broad headband, about $450. I have a couple of these.

. . . and use the other one to cover it up.

You will never get a consensus to this question...:goofy:

Get two used David Clarks for the price of one used Bose!

Marv Golden $240 ANRs. Excellent headset for not a lot of money. Actually built by Light Speed.

I use DCs for me, and Flightcom for PAX. My DCs need new ear seals, and I started using the Flightcom, myself, and found that for the dollars spent, they are pretty decent.

Depends on the kind of passenger. If they're there for a joy ride, I'd hand them down old DCs; they're not that uncomfortable and you probably already own a couple pairs. Added bonus: without the ANR, they can hear the engine and I think that would provide a much more authentic experience. But that's probably only good for rides. If they're paying passengers, different story.

Lightspeed Zulu.1

My rear seats have these. They are very nice and provide noise cancellation, which I care about since I'm a one-eared wonder myself. And it means they don't need to be as tight and uncomfortable as the old vice grip passives. They also have blue tooth so people can connect their phones or iPads.

I have the Bose A20 and love them but they cost. Bought the girlfriend a pair of lightspeed sierra's. They are a little heavier and a tad big bigger than the Bose but for 600 bucks they are solid, have music in capability, are very quite and best of all brand new.

Many of my flights are 250nm XC...and I was VERY happy with my Lightspeed Zulu 2's and customer service with the one issue I did have, so I opted for three Lightspeed Sierra's for the other three positions to ensure that passengers were as comfortable as I was. Also wanted something that could be a comfortable backup to my Zulu should something happen to them.

May be overkill, but was not looking for necessarily the cheapest solution and have been happy with my decision and purchase so far.

Best? Would have to be noise cancelling. BEST setup is non-battery ones which usually means a specially wired plug. Bose come highly recommended and expensive to prove it!

I just use whatever extra headsets I have as hand me downs for pax.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/denalid90anr.php

I like the Flightcom Denalis .. Comfortable headset if you look around the Internet they can be had very reasonably ..I found a new PNR pair on amazon for $175 last year.

I second the motion on these. I have two pair of these and like them a lot. They have good noise reduction, are very comfortable and come in a nice case to protect them. If you don't need the cell phone & aux inputs, this is the same headset but cheaper.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/denalid50anr.php

+1. I've accumulated 3 Bose X headsets at between $350-450 each for my passengers. With a new earcup and mike windscreen, they're as good as new.

I did the same thing. Just takes a little time searching and some patience.

I don't want anything that requires batteries. (yes, keeps me lonely)

So, I have two Clarity Alofts for the front seats and 4 David Clark H10-20's for the other seats.

Other sets I've owned include BoseX and DC H-10-13X.

Back