Best Mount For Full Frame Mirror-less Camera (Inside)

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
About 4 months ago I picked up a used Sony A7sII for a great price. For those that don't know its main strength is low light stills and video. The main feature of the camera is low noise at very high iso settings. I find it acceptable up to around iso=50,000 :) A couple of other perks include 5-axis in body stabilization and ability to shoot high bit-rate 4K directly to the card.

I have been wanting to shoot some aviation night video. This camera is perfect on paper. But mounting it is proving challenging. Although it is smaller than a classic DSLR it is heavy and with a lens sitting out front it can be front heavy.

For my first test (daylight) I used a single RAM suction cup and a ball adapter to the camera tripod threads. To my surprise the camera never fell off! But the footage was terrible. I could see the camera lens wobbling but wasn't sure if the stabilizer would win...it didn't :(

So, has anyone here mounted a DSLR or mirrorless camera to the windshield and found a good, stable mount? My goal is to fly over downtown (a night) and capture wide angle views shot right over the nose.

Maybe you need to isolate the camera from high (for it) frequency vibrations. Something that would simulate someone holding it in their hand.

Oh wait a minute, maybe you could get an actual person to simulate a person holding it in their hand:)

On the other hand -

upload_2020-4-21_15-25-29.png

Sell it and get something more suitable, before you shake it to bits.

You are right in that a person holding it would be better except the stabilizer can only stabilize so much. But then you get these big swaying camera movements.

Actually a person holding a small gimbal would be ideal. Then the dash appears to move around but the outside image is rock solid. Some people don't care for that view but spending $150 on a gimbal for a mirrorless would be fun.

Its really hard to know what to do this this camera. I got it for US$600. It is flawless and there is literally no other camera that can touch if for low light. They say the A7III is as good but it can't be. After that there are no DSLR, mirror-less or action cameras that even come close to noise free 50,000 iso...not to mention that it can actually go to 400,000 iso!!!

I gave up on buying any suction cup solution because once the camera has a certain mass the suction cup is too flexible.

I did find a really cool strong opposing magnet system! It is used for cars and works way better than suction cups but I don't want that strong of magnets anywhere near the panel and I don't like the idea of a rubber coated magnet sitting outside the windshield.

My other problem is that I had a Canon 17-40L lens and it was on a metabones adapter. So I was probably hanging over 1,000grams out front. I may buy a native 28mm f2 lens (no adapter) which is just 200g. I can always return it. Or just keep it for my other Sony camera.

Back